Would you pay the Dealer or Replace ABS brake lines Yourself?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, more craziness. I dropped the bike off at the dealer to repair what I thought was an engine miss under hard acceleration at 6000-8000 in second and third gears. Dealer calls back to state the problem is worn second and third gears, and that the cost to repiar will be about $3500 plus parts.

Told dealer not to proceed with brake line replacement. Also asked to hold bike over the holidays while I decide what to go. So, assuming sufficient cash on hand to go either way, which makes more sense to the group:

A. Fix the damned bike - She's been reliable, capable and fun. I've installed aftermaket front and rear shocks, together with other farkles which make the bike mine. Time to spend the money before taking a long multi-day trip to Idaho and Glazier National Park in April/may next hear.

B.

I would look into getting a used engine from eBay. A bunch of Gen I engines there now for well under $1000. A couple for under $500. Of course, you are taking a chance that it might be as bad (or worse) than your current engine. You would have to talk to the vendors to see how many miles on them, whether there are known issues and what the return policy might be.

If you are mechanically adept, an engine swap isn't too awful. A few people here have done their own transmission work as well. Just depends on your skillset, tools and shop facilities.

Q: Is the apparent "miss" bad or can you live with it? i.e. Is doing nothing an option?
Q: Do you trust the dealer's diagnosis? Worth getting a second opinion?

Is it dropping out of gear or just hesitating? The latter would suggest (to me) a fuelling or spark issue...

Just pointing out an example. Recently there was a nice 2010 with under 20K for sale in Rhode Island for $4,500. I'm with RossKean motor swap would be a viable option. Strip all the updated parts and sell with the acknowledgement that there's this problem. Or trade it in on a new one. I've made the mistake before; chasing the initial problem, then have it snowball.... 🤬 I'll be brief, "you need a $3000 rear main seal replacement Mr. D". That turned into a $4,800 bill on a bike worth $4,000. If second and third gear are a problem; what else are they going to find? So sorry for your trouble, and right before Christmas. Unfortunately for you, it's to late to send a letter to 🎅 ! I've been told he rides a Harley anyways and might not be so sympathetic!

Pete-0

Nope! I think a failing line would give you plenty of warning before blowing like a burst aneurism. Bulging hose, leaks, mushy feeling brake etc.
Never heard of a catastrophic brake line failure on an FJR.
I just finished replacing front brake pads on my 2010. New DOT4. After that I had the front calipers on my Honda VTR1000 rebuilt, then I installed them. More DOT4. I do not like working with brake fluid. I did fine and both brake levers are firm. I installed SpeedBleeders on both bikes. Recommended. I cannot imagine changing out all of the ABS hoses. Some jobs are better performed by the shop.

OK, more craziness. I dropped the bike off at the dealer to repair what I thought was an engine miss under hard acceleration at 6000-8000 in second and third gears. Dealer calls back to state the problem is worn second and third gears, and that the cost to repiar will be about $3500 plus parts.

Told dealer not to proceed with brake line replacement. Also asked to hold bike over the holidays while I decide what to go. So, assuming sufficient cash on hand to go either way, which makes more sense to the group:

A. Fix the damned bike - She's been reliable, capable and fun. I've installed aftermaket front and rear shocks, together with other farkles which make the bike mine. Time to spend the money before taking a long multi-day trip to Idaho and Glazier National Park in April/may next hear.

B.
B. Buy my FJR. 😎 And ride your trip to Glacier in confidence. 😉

I just finished replacing front brake pads on my 2010. New DOT4. After that I had the front calipers on my Honda VTR1000 rebuilt, then I installed them. More DOT4. I do not like working with brake fluid. I did fine and both brake levers are firm. I installed SpeedBleeders on both bikes. Recommended. I cannot imagine changing out all of the ABS hoses. Some jobs are better performed by the shop.
Swapping hoses is a 1 banana job. Bleeding the brakes is more difficult.

Be very careful with the ABS unit lines, if the kit comes with them. I would only replace the front and rear brake lines. ANY air in the ABS unit will be very difficult to bleed as continuous cycling and bleeding of the ABS unit will be required. If you lack patience you might want to let someone qualified do the job. Peace of mind and all. Good luck.
And, you could skip the brake fluid nightmare. I tried to be as careful as a surgeon, but still got it on my clothes, tires, floor. I do recommend Speedbleeders. Good luck!

I would agree with everyone else. It would depend on your skills and patience. I might tackle it if I wasn't busy doing something else or wanted to save some money (seldom do I save time with DIY because of the "while I'm in here" syndrome). But only with a known/trusted dealer or independent shop.

I wouldn't let a dealer touch.my FJR1300 good thing it's a 2008 AE most Yamaha dealers will not repair a Yamaha that is older then 10 years. Most dealers have very little maintenance experience with a FJR especially my 2008 AE.. If your brake lines are not rotted, cracked etc I wouldn't change them. My 2008 AE has always been garaged my hydraulic lines look great and it stops great. I bleed all hydraulic fluids every two years and engage the ABS pump. If the transmission has worn shit forks etc on that Gen I remove your " Farkles" to a lower milage one and sell it.

"But OEM shops have the knowledge, experience, and equipment to do it right."
SOME OEM shops may have the knowledge and experience, and there may be some that have the correct equipment, but I will never again trust any of the dealerships I've had the misfortune to use to do anything. Was about to say "anything complicated" then realized it was one word too many. I think having a dealership do it would be a great way to have spongy brakes.

I agree with redzgrider, I just acquired a 2015ES that was maintained by the dealer. The previous owner by his own admission had limited mechanical skills and as such wanted it "done right". The rear brake was always spongy and in the eight years ( and $8400.00 in dealer charges ...I have all the dealer receipts for all work done) the rear brake problem was never fixed, although the dealer charged for five fluid changes and bleeds trying to correct the problem.
When I took ownership of the ES the first thing I did was bleed the rear brake in the PROPER ORDER. Imagine, eight years of a spongy rear brake and all that was necessary is to follow the FSM.
I do all my own work as many here do. If I need a special tool I buy it rather than trust my bike to a service technician who was just promoted the day before from parts runner.
This forum will generally have the knowledge and answers to your questions and the members are happy to help.

Tough situation to happen around the holidays. My advice: prepare the old bike for trade in. Remove all your farkles to the point it makes sense to do so. If you retained your OEM shock, it should go back on the bike. Then trade that in for a '23 model. The blue looks pretty fetching on the latest FJRs:

1703691404969.png

Dealers give me the "Heebie-jeebies" too! Thoughts of getting my bike all apart; and not being able to put "Humpty Dumpty" back together again. That scares me more. Let me share my perspective here. I witnessed my father as a child; a smart well rounded DIY'r, get in over his head (or be too cheap) then let a project stall for Y E A R S !!! Somehow that traumatized me. I also witnessed him turn junk into treasure. The secret is knowing when to pick your battles. With age comes wisdom they say. And with college tuition in the rearview mirror, there's more funding available.... ;)

Pete-o

Thanks for all the advice, both on the brake lines and what to do with the bad transmission. I've gone ahead and purchased a new '23, and am now cannibalizing my '05 (top trunk, gps mount, etc.) and have ordered the farkles I'll need to make the new girl mine (frame sliders, reflective side case stickers, factory service manual).