• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: Custom V-strom Bar Ends

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Wanted:  Custom bar-ends made specifically for the V-Strom handguards.  They are machined so that the hand guard has a slot to click into.  Something like pictured below.  Years ago they were available from somebody on the forum.  Does anybody have a set they are not using?  Does anybody know of anybody that makes them.  Does anybody know of anybody that can make them?  Perhaps make a run of them?

eJFs1Irl.jpg

Wanted:  Custom bar-ends made specifically for the V-Strom handguards.  They are machined so that the hand guard has a slot to click into.  Something like pictured below.  Years ago they were available from somebody on the forum.  Does anybody have a set they are not using?  Does anybody know of anybody that makes them.  Does anybody know of anybody that can make them?  Perhaps make a run of them?
ScooterG,

I have HVMP bar end weights, which have a groove like that.  I made the "C" in the handguard rear mounts just a little deeper in the middle, leaving the ends of the "C" unmodified.  I used a utility knife to do the whittling, but a Dremel tool could be used there, too.  Then each handguard snapped into place perfectly, at the rear mount.  I believe the stock bar ends would be good there, also, but I didn't try to fit my handguards to them.  HTH.

ScooterG,

I have HVMP bar end weights, which have a groove like that.  I made the "C" in the handguard rear mounts just a little deeper in the middle, leaving the ends of the "C" unmodified.  I used a utility knife to do the whittling, but a Dremel tool could be used there, too.  Then each handguard snapped into place perfectly, at the rear mount.  I believe the stock bar ends would be good there, also, but I didn't try to fit my handguards to them.  HTH.

Do you have a photo?  I went to the HVMP website and I see no groove that the handguards would fit into.

Do you have a photo?  I went to the HVMP website and I see no groove that the handguards would fit into.
Okay, I got some pix together.  There is not a groove in the weights, but they are shouldered, so the groove appears when the weights are bolted into place.

FJR-GuardOutTop
FJR-GripEndFrontOut2
FJR-GripEndFrontDone
FJR-GripEndDone2

The blue bag with the red center on the shelf is my hang glider, a Moyes X2.    :coolsmiley02:

This will probably be obvious, but you might also use a bar end weight which has one flat face.  Then you could "create" that same groove by adding a short stack of washers, the same size washers as the handguard end "C," to the installation bolt, between the handlebar and the bar end weight.  The "C" of the handguard should snap firmly onto the stack of washers, as mine will.

This will probably be obvious, but you might also use a bar end weight which has one flat face.  Then you could "create" that same groove by adding a short stack of washers, the same size washers as the handguard end "C," to the installation bolt, between the handlebar and the bar end weight.  The "C" of the handguard should snap firmly onto the stack of washers, as mine will.

Not sure how you got yours to work.  My just obtained '17 ES has the HVMP bar ends and when I installed the V-Strom guard, the rubber grip against the guard binds the throttle badly.  Enough to make it a no-go.  And I had to trim the guard opening a HELL of a lot more than you show.  Perhaps your HVMP bar ends are different.  So I am going to have to trim the end of the rubber grip (like I have seen on other FJRs) or do without.  Sure you can do all sorts of trick to make these work (as I have done on previous FJRs) but really prefer the elegant solution of the bard ends that are designed for the guards.  No having to modify the guard opening that clicks onto the bar end.  No cutting of the rubber grip.  No washers.  Just plug and play.  Unfortunately they are unobtanium.

So I am back to the original question:  Does anybody have any of the bar ends like pictured in my original post, or perhaps more helpful, does anyone know of a machinist or shop that might make a run of these, and can you provide me their contact info?

SkooterG,

Just a suggestion, but you could use washers that fit nicely with the handguard "C" end, as stated.  No trimming required, not for the handguard, nor the bike parts.  Add one larger washer (maybe a fender washer) somewhere in the stack, to create the groove anyplace needed, to fit.  It won't be plug-n-play, but it won't be difficult, and it won't empty out the wallet, either.  Your call.    :coolsmiley02:    

HandGuardLoose.jpg

HandguardGroove.jpg

Insert Common Washers as needed between two Fender Washers to give the HandGuard Groove the correct width.  HandGuard "C" fitting snaps firmly onto the Common Washer stack, between Fender Washers.

Insert Common Washers between the first Fender Washer and the Handlebar as needed, to prevent binding of the Grips.

Fender Washer next to Bar End Weight may or may not be needed.

Almost invisible, when complete and installed.  Fender Washers are larger, with a small center opening.  Many sizes of washers are available.

Cya.  Goin' ridin'.

I have got 2 sets, but 3 FJRs. I think a forum member used to make them, but no name comes to mind. Do you need the measurements from them?  Seems like you could just put a set of HVMPs on a lathe (?)

7A71D152-ADC2-459D-B1BA-41A3BB81D860.jpeg

87612D63-8919-461C-B546-0BFA95C86CC9.jpeg

I don't own a lathe.  Do you?

You really only need one set.  You should give me the second set!

After further research, the forum member that made them was gearman.  He stopped making them and sold his FJR long ago.  Bummer.

I would buy a set if someone made them
Hell, I would buy two sets!

That was one of the ideas of this post.  To see if anyone out there could make them, or at least knew of a machinist or shop that could make a batch of them.  I have had no luck.  Maybe Tony will.

There are machine shops all over. If Master Pathfinder took one set of his to said shop for show and tell, I'm sure they would make them for a suitable fee. I could do it but I'm so far behind now it would be Xmas before I got to it.

There are machine shops all over. If Master Pathfinder took one set of his to said shop for show and tell, I'm sure they would make them for a suitable fee. I could do it but I'm so far behind now it would be Xmas before I got to it.
Look at you staying foucused! 👏