www.findmespot.com

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
Not ranting - just talking out loud and mostly to myself.

Why is it that some promised rebates (The SPOT Xmas Holiday Rebate) are just so difficult to actually -- "happen" ? -- that's a rhetorical question.

Dec 2012 .... I ordered the SPOT Tracker, filled out all the relevant paperwork for a rebate and mailed it off on Jan 5th 2013 - same day I "initialized" the device.

Yeah !! 8 weeks for a rebate of $149 --- cool.

Jan 28th -- Check my rebate status on-line with my tracking # ....no info. pertinent to me ?? So I fire off an e-mail.... Ernesto tells me it takes up to 4 weeks for paperwork --- my bad!..

Jan 29th -- I get a new tracking # ... then the process slips my mind until ....

May 6th .. I call SPOT .. and Alisha, a supervisor, tells me they realized a mistake in the rebate cost. Rebate will now be $119 (not $149). This was finalized on Apr 25th. Expect your rebate by may 24th .. OK then!

May 24th -- no rebate in the mail. I call SPOT and Sarah, a supervisor, tells me to expect the rebate by May 31st ... " a delay in mail due to the Memorial Day weekend" --- good story so far ?
no.gif

May 31st -- a Friday .. no rebate .... well, big surprise !!

June 3rd -- Monday -- I call SPOT and and speak to Leslie (don't know if she's a supervisor) she can't explain why I didn't get the rebate, but, "we'll re-mail you a new rebate card .. here's your new tracking # (my third) - expect the rebate in 2 - 4 weeks"

Stay tuned folks - hope this post doesn't go through the delete process
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE !!

For anyone even remotely interested
rolleyes.gif
.... ,SPOT finally sent me a check ... last week. It should cash OK ? ..of course it will
punk.gif
.. I only waited 7 months..... that's quicker than a class action suit
rolleyes.gif

Went on a 10 day trip (4-14-16), and took my Spot with me. Day 1, somewhere north of Atlanta, I noticed it was gone, came off a lanyard I had it on.

I just got off the phone with Spot Customer Service, to report it lost. I didn't have the Lost/Stolen protection option, so I was just calling to deactivate it. Ryan (customer rep) told me he had good news. Since I just renewed my annual plan, he could offer me the $17.99 Lost/Stolen plan, and for a $30 deposit, send me a new Spot. So a new Spot is on it's way to me! Sure beats paying $150 for a new one.

Happy with how this turned out.

About 3 months ago my Spot Gen3 quit working unless it was plugged in. Batteries wouldn't work. I called to complain and they promptly sent me a new one.
smile.png

Not happy it broke after 6 months but I can't complain about their customer service.

For several years I enjoyed using my SPOT along with Spotwalla to let my family follow along on my adventures. Last year I decided to cancel my SPOT subscription for the following year. I don't use it in the winter and planned to upgrade my SPOT device in the spring. When you sign up for SPOT they require a credit card and automatically charge it every year unless you specifically cancel. I hate companies that do this and avoid it when possible, but it is the only way to subscribe to SPOT tracking. Anyway, about a month before my subscription expired I emailed to cancel the renewal.

SPOT immediately cancelled my renewal, and cancelled the remainder of the current year, which still had a month left on it, and sent me an email to that effect. I responded that I had already paid for the next month and planned to use the SPOT one more time before it expired. They responded that they would re-enable for the month and offered a discount for the following year. I declined the offer for the following year.

A week later I went on a ride for a week and invited my family to follow along on Spotwalla. When I got home I found that no tracking was reported. I am done with SPOT.

I had the same basic experience. I sent them an email, cc'ing myself, cancelling service for a year that I knew in advance the device wouldn't be used. ~18 months later I loaned the device and when attempting to activate it called SPOT CS and let them know. They indicated that they had no record of my cancellation email and couldn't accept my cc'd email because it might be forged (technical, they're not), and I would have to pay for the entire year+ of service before being able to utilize the device again. Escalation through CS "management" provided no relief even after a second call, so the device went in to the trash.

For several years I enjoyed using my SPOT along with Spotwalla to let my family follow along on my adventures. Last year I decided to cancel my SPOT subscription for the following year. I don't use it in the winter and planned to upgrade my SPOT device in the spring. When you sign up for SPOT they require a credit card and automatically charge it every year unless you specifically cancel. I hate companies that do this and avoid it when possible, but it is the only way to subscribe to SPOT tracking. Anyway, about a month before my subscription expired I emailed to cancel the renewal.
SPOT immediately cancelled my renewal, and cancelled the remainder of the current year, which still had a month left on it, and sent me an email to that effect. I responded that I had already paid for the next month and planned to use the SPOT one more time before it expired. They responded that they would re-enable for the month and offered a discount for the following year. I declined the offer for the following year.

A week later I went on a ride for a week and invited my family to follow along on Spotwalla. When I got home I found that no tracking was reported. I am done with SPOT.