XM Radio hook up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I'm running an XM Roady2 for XM radio reception. I want to hard wire the power into my Fuzeblock. I noticed the cig lighter plug for the XM says "12VDC input, 6 VDC output" so I obviously have to put a resistor inline with the power supply from the Fuzeblock to the XM Roady2. I know V=IR but I don't know "I" from the XM.

Without tearing apart the plug (which may not have a marked resistor in it anyway), how big of a resistor do I install in the power feed? Or am I way off track and have to do something else?

I'm running an XM Roady2 for XM radio reception. I want to hard wire the power into my Fuzeblock. I noticed the cig lighter plug for the XM says "12VDC input, 6 VDC output" so I obviously have to put a resistor inline with the power supply from the Fuzeblock to the XM Roady2. I know V=IR but I don't know "I" from the XM.

Without tearing apart the plug (which may not have a marked resistor in it anyway), how big of a resistor do I install in the power feed? Or am I way off track and have to do something else?
There is a good discussion of this on the ADV Rider Forum. Here is the link ...

ADV 12V to 5V converter thread

A single in-line resistor is not going to work for you.

There is a good discussion of this on the ADV Rider Forum. Here is the link ...

ADV 12V to 5V converter thread

A single in-line resistor is not going to work for you.
Outstanding! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I have recently installed a Roady 2 on my bike. I looked at wiring it directly but could not find a solution that I liked. BTW, the unit will not run off of 5V. I bench tested it with a 5V DC adapter and it would not turn on.

My solution was to wire a 12V cigarette lighter adapter to my FuzeBlock and plug in the adapter that comes with the unit. I considered placing the adapter under the seat where the FuzeBlock is but opted to place it at the handle bars next to the key slot. The unit is dedicated to the bike, but makes it easier to remove for washing, downtown parking, etc.

In the short time I have been using it, it has worked flawlessly.

I will post a picture if you are interested.

Shag

Yes please. I'm interested in how you mounted it. Is it vertical? If so, doesn't it fill up with water?

Here is a view with it unplugged. Note that the adapter has a spring loaded cover that is waterproof. I buy these at Walmart...

7521dc60.jpg

Here it is with the XM adapter plugged in...

01c2ae16.jpg

I haven't had any problems with water pooling. I mounted it with a small patch of adhesive velcro and then secured it to the adjacent cables with a tie wrap.

Shag

Last edited by a moderator:
Shagomatic, maybe you can help me with problems I am having with my GPS. I originally plugged it into the power outlet in the glove box, but this limited my useage of said box. I was in a store one day and saw a couple of power outlets for $20 dollars and installed them under the riders seat to power my XM radio and my GPS. The radio works fine, but the GPS power cable blows the 1 amp fuse built in to it. I am assuming that the input amperage is too much for the 1 amp fuse. There must be a reduction of current in my glove box auxillary power outlet. My outlets are directly wired. What are your thoughts on this subject and any other electrical geniuses.

Jer, Does your GPS blow fuses when you plug it into the car accessory port? Your bike puts out 12-14 VDC on any line, and your outlet in the glove box does not reduce that. I'm thinking you may have a problem with reverse polarity or in the GPS accessory line.

Jer, Does your GPS blow fuses when you plug it into the car accessory port? Your bike puts out 12-14 VDC on any line, and your outlet in the glove box does not reduce that. I'm thinking you may have a problem with reverse polarity or in the GPS accessory line.
It works fine in the car and also the auxillary in the glovebox. I tried putting tinfoil around a blown fuse and only succeeded in blowing a 3 amp circuit fuse. These fuses are only 1 amp.

I think you may have something in your reference to reverse polarity. I will check that out tomorrow. I did a little work in grafting in pull apart connectors and may have reversed the polarity.

My first thought also was that the polarity on the port is reversed. Remember that the center pin is + and the barrel is -. With that much electronic gear, you might want to consider a FuzeBlock or similiar. It sure makes life easier as you continue to add farkles.

Shag

How aboot wiring something like this Powerlet Cable Mount Cigarette Socket Kit <clickroonie> into your FuzeBlock?

Before I went to the GXM30 antenna piping in XM via the Zumo, I ran for a couple of years with a Sirius Stiletto II. For power, I ran one of the Powerlet cigarette adapters off the battery tender plug, with the cigarette adapter itself sitting under the drivers seat. Other than having it work itself a wee bit loose twice in ~ 20,000 miles, I never had any problems with it, including riding in rain. Did anyone mention that it rained at SFO '09...