Yamaha bikes are far more reliable than HD or BMW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think of all the people you know who own Japanese bikes........are they running out and buying Hardleys and BMW's and not buying Japanese anymore?? The few I know that have other brands STILL buy Japanese.
Excellent point. Seems like many here agree that the Japanese bikes are not as sharply differentiated as the two leading brand-loyal marques in the study. They're all good in similar ways, where the Harley/BMWs are each more unique, at least in their image. Compare it to an election where the Republicans run one candidate and the Democrats run four for the same office. The Dems will tend to split each other's votes.

Feel free to reverse the parties in my example. Not an attempt to go all "political" here.
smile.png
I agree with the "differentiation" argument. Certain bikes are much more distinctive in appearance, and some cases the sound they make, than others. Personally, I think buying a Harley is more about making a statement (buying American, unique stance, louder than hell pipes etc.).

I didn't buy my FJR with the intention to make any sort of public statement. Probably a different story with the CBR. Actually, I've changed my mind, maybe the statement I was making with the FJR was that I want something sporty, but also something I can ride for more than an hour and still be able to stand up straight afterwards.

That CBR should have come with an Ibuprofen dispenser built in, but fun as hell for 30 - 40 minutes.

Guess I'm not normal MB cars for years then tried a same class BMW...WOW ! Never went back but my FJR is a 2 wheeled keeper.........

Guess I'm not normal MB cars for years then tried a same class BMW...WOW ! Never went back but my FJR is a 2 wheeled keeper.........
Sounds normal to me. I owned BMW cars for a number of years. Two different 325i's, a 540i and a Z3, all with manual transmissions. Driver's cars. If you have the ability to appreciate the cars for how they drive, then they are worth the premium price. If you are just going to drive the car in traffic to and from work, and need an automatic, it might as well be a Toyota or Nissan.

I also did most of my own service work, which is one thing I loved about those cars, They were deigned to be worked on. Just like a motorcycle, if you keep up on the preventive maintenance, which I always did faithfully, you'd be surprised how reliable they are. It's usually the people that treat their cars (and their bikes) like an appliance that end up with dissatisfaction over their reliability. I'd have a BMW car now if I could afford it. Times are tough.

Think of all the people you know who own Japanese bikes........are they running out and buying Hardleys and BMW's and not buying Japanese anymore?? The few I know that have other brands STILL buy Japanese.
Just because people stick with buying Japanese bikes doesn't make them brand loyal. Many will jump ship from one Japanese brand to another. I mean, what's a guy with "Gixxer" in his name doing on a Yami forum?
biggrin.png

Sounds normal to me. I owned BMW cars for a number of years. Two different 325i's, a 540i and a Z3, all with manual transmissions. Driver's cars. If you have the ability to appreciate the cars for how they drive, then they are worth the premium price. If you are just going to drive the car in traffic to and from work, and need an automatic, it might as well be a Toyota or Nissan.

I also did most of my own service work, which is one thing I loved about those cars, They were deigned to be worked on. Just like a motorcycle, if you keep up on the preventive maintenance, which I always did faithfully, you'd be surprised how reliable they are. It's usually the people that treat their cars (and their bikes) like an appliance that end up with dissatisfaction over their reliability. I'd have a BMW car now if I could afford it. Times are tough.
My g/f has a Black 325i. It's auto and i'm not a fan of the hesitation between shift points. The tan leather interior is kinda barfola as well. She likes it and is happy with it though. She's happy, I'm happy.

So tru on the times are tough! The funny part is that our President keeps saying the economy is getting better and things are starting to flourish again. Hmmm?, I guess we don't live in the same Country as he does.

So Fred, I'm ready for some of that 8% Beer dammit! Thirsty Thursty-Thursday!!

Back on topic...

Just as the difference in owner loyalty is not nearly as great as they make it out to be, I am fairly certain that the difference in reliability is not all that much different either. Plenty of anecdotal stories from both sides of the coin, but the reality is that most modern bikes are a whole crap-load more reliable today than they were a few decades ago.

Most of the non-reliability "horror stories" are either from owners who have received poor service from a dealership that can't fix a problem when it does crop up, or from people who are expecting the machine to be totally flawless with no intervention on their part. You have to have the mindset that all machines have the very real possibility of breaking at some time in their lives, and try not get all emotional about it when that happens. You just need to get it fixed and move on.

Back on topic...
Just as the difference in owner loyalty is not nearly as great as they make it out to be, I am fairly certain that the difference in reliability is not all that much different either. Plenty of anecdotal stories from both sides of the coin, but the reality is that most modern bikes are a whole crap-load more reliable today than they were a few decades ago.

Most of the non-reliability "horror stories" are either from owners who have received poor service from a dealership that can't fix a problem when it does crop up, or from people who are expecting the machine to be totally flawless with no intervention on their part. You have to have the mindset that all machines have the very real possibility of breaking at some time in their lives, and try not get all emotional about it when that happens. You just need to get it fixed and move on.
Your right Fred. Hell reading some of these disaster stories on the Beemer & Jeep Forums etc; You would think why would anyone buy one of these POS. The emotional feelings and bad dealer service along with some unrealistic expectations really explode on the internet!!

The more you spend, the more easily the bitching come's out. These 'mostly reasonable' higher expectations are normal especially when you spend the extra buck.

Dealers can make or break products in their area quite easily.

I don't get what makes anyone have such higher expectations. How does price paid figure into reliability? It seems a lot like emotionally wishful thinking.

You usually pay a higher price for a more complex product with more features, more bells and whistles, or higher performance. Newer technology, more cutting edge, and more things that can break in other words. The reality of it is that the more expensive products actually tend to be less reliable for these reasons.

This applies in a lot of scenarios, not just cars and motorcycles. The more features that you jam into a package, the more opportunities there are for a failure. Even with the same high level of design and manufacturing QA you'll end up with an increased likelihood of a major defect occurring.

from Fred<br />You usually pay a higher price for a more complex product with more features, more bells and whistles, or higher performance. Newer technology, more cutting edge, and more things that can break in other words. The reality of it is that the more expensive products actually tend to be less reliable for these reasons.

<br /><br />I always loved it when the Ferrari dealer quoted 5K$ labor for a tune up on most of the Webber equipped V12's....I could do 2 a day for 4K each...Although it was a long day..

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye say "Ride the G-darned thing".

So much of this talk is based on speculation of owners of garage queens sitting for months at a time un-ridden.

Me likes Rice Burners, BECAUSE of their low cost, low and ease of maintaniance, and proven long mileage.

"This" has been my personal experience;

'82 Honduh Silver WIng 500 = 35,000 miles (oringinally had 5,000 miles on it when I bought it.)

'94 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 = 65,000 miles (originally had 8,000 miles on it when purchased)

'02 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 = 62,000 miles (originally had 50,000 miles on it...OK, this was
sadsmiley.gif
)

'05 Yamaha FJR 1300 = 65,000 miles (bought it brand frickin' new with 0 miles by PDP)

I became an owner of the first of these bikes in 1992 and as far as I've ridden 'em, I know I am a slacker, but a totally happy slacker. The bike I am still riding is the V-Strom 1000 due to riding position and neck and shoulder issues riding the FJR. However, the Yamaha FJR1300 was the best build, and most reliable of any of the above. It never let me down.

Last edited by a moderator: