Yamaha Gel Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the Russell seat is more comfortable because it's made with leather (besides what ever they fill it with). I don't have a Russell myself.......I still have the stock seat.Most seats are vinyl (which is like plastic) and doesn't allow for any breathability (is that a word?). The vinyl is very uncomfortable and I think gets hotter than I think leather would...
...Keep in mind depending how tall you are you might need to buy some handlebar risers; you sit just a little higher with a Russell...
I'm thinking that the reach to the bars would be the least of the issues Iris would have, the ground always seems to be farther away around her bike
wink.png

The seat manufacturers say that leather is the better seating surface for comfort. The only seats I have ever had with a vinyl cover have been Corbin Long Discomfort Brick seats and they were hot and uncomfortable.
LOL yeah the Corbins are kind uncomfortable and heavy. Two things I'll usually never buy new for a bike are seats and exhaust pipes. Far too expensive new, highly dependent on personal taste, and therefore usually lots of used examples floating around. I got the gel seat (both front and back) for $300. At that price I figured try it and see. If I did not like it I could flip it for little loss. So far so good for my build and various older guy creaky body issues. I can ride on it all day, which really means I can ride til I run out of gas and need to stop, and repeat. Could not do that with the OEM seat it was so painful.

Have had Corbins on other bikes, did not like them. Have a Sargent on another bike (GS Adv BMW) and that is a nice seat. Got it used half price tho. I guess if I could test ride some of the other FJR options I might consider them. One thing about the wider seats. Yes they are more comfortable, but I found it hard to ride aggressively where you'd need to slide your weight around side-side for balance. There's like a shelf. That was my experience on a Corbin on a super sport type bike. Did not like it at all and went back to stock even though it is a horrible seat for distance.

Anyway buy whatever choice used and no big loss if it doesn't work out.

Regarding seat height and changes, a good saddle builder should be able to increase comfort without increasing seat height. At 5'6" and a 30" inseam, the last thing I wanted was a higher seat or a harder time reaching the ground.

Regarding buying used, not a bad idea for an aftermarket seat. If you buy right you can most likely sell for little to no loss... but ask yourself why folks are reselling those aftermarket seats, if they really solve the problem. I would be very hesitant about buying someone else's custom seat unless they were my height, weight, and had the same hip width and inseam. Figure the odds.

I am not fond of the "wings" on the sides of the seats. I need a skinny seat so that I can touch the ground a littler easier. Also, I think someone else mentioned it..... it looks like the wings on the seat would prevent me from being able to slide in the seat when I get into the twisties.

edit: I always have sweatier feet when my shoes are not made out of leather.
sorry...off topic.

The word is "smartwool" 4 seasons.

also, the trick for the wings is to slide forward of them at stops and to get weight to the sides. It becomes automatic after awhile

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried the gel seat and Sargent seat, only way to go is Russell if you plan to ride moer than 200 miles a day.

Has anyone tried the Saddlemen 'track style' type seat? I see a photo on their website showing the FJR with one on it.
https://www.saddlemen.com/products/k2mart/seats/sport-bike-seats/track-style/track-style-sport-bike-seats.html#yamaha-click-to-expand
Iris,

I haven't tried a Saddlemen seat,but i have a Saddlemen fleece gel seat pad and i am really satisfied with this product!I have installed it over of my oem seat and i don't feel any fatigue in my trips now!I mean 500 miles trips about,because my country isn't too big...

I have this product:

https://www.saddlemen.com/products/k2mart/saddlegel-pads/advanced-comfort-fleece-covered-seat-pad/saddlegel-sheepskin-cover-pad-large.html

Has anyone use the seat? I like the way it looks over the aftermarket. But how much better than the stock seat is the question!
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemcatalogs/p/yamaha_motorcycle_street_2007_fjr1300ae/yamaha_accessories-seats_backrests/4ff87e26f87002374860058d/fjr1300-comfort-seat
You live in Texas I would NOT get a Gel seat as they are HOT as Hell after the sun beats on them......many people put seatcovers over them so they can sit on them.

I have the Gel Seats front and rear and like them much better than the stock seats. They are more firm, and eliminate the hot spots I got from the oem seat and look better. Got my set used and am very pleased. I also use an Alaskan sheepskin cover which is very nice that I used with the oem seat. They are a nice addition to any seat and increase comfort a great deal. For me the limiting factor to my riding time/distance is no longer seat comfort, it is shoulder/neck discomfort. I tend to get a pinching in my shoulders after a while that necessitates getting off for a while, which is OK. I am retired and am OK with taking my time and enjoying the ride. Not trying to set iron butt records at ths stage. Try the gel seats, you may find they work well for you as they did for me.

Ed

Does the gel seat make one slide forward like the stock seat? I'd like to sit further back in the saddle. The stock seat pushes me forward and then my legs get uncomfortably close to the hot frame. I've read that the Sargent seat puts the rider further back, but I haven't found any info on the Yamaha gel seat.

Does the gel seat make one slide forward like the stock seat? I'd like to sit further back in the saddle. The stock seat pushes me forward and then my legs get uncomfortably close to the hot frame. I've read that the Sargent seat puts the rider further back, but I haven't found any info on the Yamaha gel seat.
The gel seat keeps you off the tank much better than the stocker. As opposed to sitting "on" the stocker, you sit "in" the gel seat and pocket. Mine works really well in combination with the [old style] Heli riser to stay off the tank.

That said, I just had seats made by Laam Seats for not much more than the Yamaha gel seats...

--G

I just picked up a set of Saddlemens seats. Love them. Waaaay better than stock. On the stock seats I achieved ass burn in about an hour. I've ridden three hours on the Saddlemens with no pain what so ever. :)

Haven't tried the new Yamaha gel seat but would like to. Early on I redid my stock seat by eliminating all the cheap stock foam and redesigned it. It's now is a cross between a Sargent and a Russell using the stock base. I topped it with a gel material called PudGee and 1/16" foam over that. And long rides are no longer an issue except my knees but that's another topic, lol.

As mentioned gel will get hot if left in direct sun so I just lay something over the seat when off the bike and it's left in the sun. Replacing the stock seat foam was one of the best mods IMHO. painman.

So, the Yamaha factory gel seats are in the $300 range and may or may not work. The Saddleman FJR seats are $500(!) and may or may not work. Getting a seat made by Rick Mayer is around $350 with vinyl basketweave, and the odds of it working for you are much greater than an off-the-shelf approach.

Someone tell me why they'd spend as much or more money for something that has a much greater chance of dissatisfaction? I don't understand. What am I missing here?

I'd try the Yamaha gel seats if I could find a good deal on a pair. I rode 900 miles the second day I had my 2013 FJR with the stock seat and yes I was a little sore...but not that bad!
punk.gif