Yamaha R1 Special Edition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I was young again....... :(

I could easily afford to be stupid enough to get one of those, just can't handle the abuse anymore....

Its not cool to feel every piece of gravel on the road for me.

I myself have been flirting with the idea of getting a new R1, ever since the new release in 2015. However, the cost of insurance on those makes it so financially stupid that I haven't pulled the trigger. Against my better judgement though, I'm still entertaining the idea.

I'm entertaining all sorts of stupid ideas while I sit here with one payment left on the FJR.
biggrin.png

Here I am two months later and I'm considering going to the dealer this Thursday to look at the R1 and the R1S. Having trouble deciding which version I want to go with. I know I'm going to be dumping the stock exhaust system right out of the gate for a SC-Project Full Titanium de-cat system w/ carbon fiber wrap, so the R1S would be a great choice there since the normal R1 already has the Titanium system. I don't all the magnesium options on the R1, which has been removed for the R1S. However, I do want a quick shifter which the R1 includes stock, but they removed for the R1S - and I can't find any options online yet for quick shifters for the R1S.

When spending this much money, I want to make sure I get it right.

I happened to visit the multi-brand dealer nearby yesterday and boyzz those new R1s look gorgeous! The 60 anniversary Yamaha racy classic livery yellow/white/black is irresistible while the red/white (2015) isn't conceded to second place either. I can't tell the difference between R1 and R1S by appearance except by color. The 'S' designation is not shown anywhere on the bike. Pricing difference only $1,500.Sitting on one feels right at home, light, not too much crouching to the gas tank which various bike magazines admit it's the easiest to ride among all liter ones in the market. R1S is marketed for street riders while R1 more toward track. The performance is almost identical. Tough choice for you! I'm thinking getting one in a couple years hopefully.

Pick up the R1M. Free tickets to Austin MotoGP and extra special VIP treatment while there is what I heard ya get.
biggrin.png

So, I have officially taken delivery of my 2016 R1S. However, I'll post pics once I have completed my short list of mods. I have already installed a fender eliminator, RAM mount X-grip for cell phone, and my Akrapovic 3/4 exhaust system (de-cat) will be arriving by the end of the week. Once that is installed, I'll take some pics. So far though, I'm loving it.

So, I have officially taken delivery of my 2016 R1S. However, I'll post pics once I have completed my short list of mods. I have already installed a fender eliminator, RAM mount X-grip for cell phone, and my Akrapovic 3/4 exhaust system (de-cat) will be arriving by the end of the week. Once that is installed, I'll take some pics. So far though, I'm loving it.
Congrats on the purchase! Can you give us some feedback on the bike as a street riding machine? The review from the track guys seems to be universally awesome, but some of the street riding reviews have been a little tougher.

But a cell phone mount on an R1? Is that for navigation guidance or maybe Waze giving you LEO alerts? If I was riding an R1 I'd probably be too busy watching where I was going to be checking out text messages and tweets
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are just my initial thoughts after having the bike for a week and having put appx 400 miles on it (the break-in period is 600 miles before first service, then I can really open her up).

The bike is sheer power and performance, meant for the track. The reviews you have already read are correct in that regard. If the bike could speak English, it would only know one word, "GO". For an example, in 1st gear anything less than 30 mph is somewhat of "chug-a-chug" type of ride where the bike needs to go faster to get into a comfortable and smooth rate of speed/power. Never was this more obvious then on the day I took delivery down in Nashville, TN and was riding it back to Indy. As we approached Louisville we hit some bad stop and go traffic. This bike is horrible in stop and go traffic. However, when we were moving at a great clip it was perfect.

Now, I will say that I love the bike. Completely glad I decided on going with it and up to this point do not feel I have made a bad decision. I had done enough research to have confidence in my decision and knew exactly what I was getting. If you're considering this bike just be known that you are not getting the most "comfortable" ride in the supersport category of bikes. It's a very rigid suspension, which is great for feeling the road and for performance, but very uncomfortable on bumpy roads (doesn't bother me a bit). Also with the bikes power band, again, you need to get going at decent clip for the bike to settle into a smooth and desireable ride. The sound of the engine is gnarly as hell, absolutely tenacious in every part, which is one of my favorite parts. The electronics on the bike.......damn, so many options (over 100 different configurations possible) and yet they are so efficient and making sure you are confident and comfortable riding a litre bike. It's definitely a head turner, no matter where you are riding. Everywhere I go, people just stare and or stop me to discuss the bike. I went downtown to monument circle last Saturday night and as soon as I pulled up 10 people immediately stopped what they were doing and walked over to gawk and drool at the bike. No matter what people's tastes are, most agree that it looks like a MotoGP bike (which is exactly what I wanted and exactly what Yamaha was trying to accomplish).

Now, I haven't had a chance to really open her up yet being that I'm in the break-in period, but you also don't need to give it much to know that the bike is rediculously fast and advanced - no way will I ever be experienced/skilled enough to push the bike to its limits. In fact, I think it's safe to say/admit that unless you're a professional racer currently in a league/circuit (ie. AMA, etc.) neither can/will you be able to as well.

In regards to the cell phone mount, I have a RAM mount on every bike so that I can use my phone for GPS and calling if in need. I also listen to music typically when I ride. While doing so, my eyes are always on the road when riding though. It's only at stop lights that I may make changes or etc., just so much easier than having to pull it out of a pocket and rush to get what you needed done before the light turns green. And even using as GPS, a few glances here and there with enough space in front of you is not going to kill you.

To make a long story short though, the bike is AWESOME! Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like. I'll post some pics when I finish getting the new exhaust installed hopefully by tomorrow evening or Saturday at the latest.

~Cheers

I was thinking of your purchase yesterday while watching a review on the MT10 where they said that if you want an R1 but don't plan on being on the track, the MT10 is the version of the R1 you want. It'll be interesting as the bike gets into more hands to see what the consensus is. I'm hoping for a newer sportier bike to go in the garage in the next year, still need to decide what it'll be.

I was thinking of your purchase yesterday while watching a review on the MT10 where they said that if you want an R1 but don't plan on being on the track, the MT10 is the version of the R1 you want. It'll be interesting as the bike gets into more hands to see what the consensus is. I'm hoping for a newer sportier bike to go in the garage in the next year, still need to decide what it'll be.
Yamaha needs to bring the MT10 to America. I love my Ducati 999 but it will be gone in a heart beat if I can get my hands on a MT10.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Seems we see this from time to time where it takes an extra model year for a bike to make it here. I blame California and Coffee Can size filters.
biggrin.png

Interesting. I honestly was not familiar with the MT10 until I had read your post, in fact I had to look it up. It's definitely a great looking street fighter styled bike, but I definitely prefer the looks of the R1 - only because my goal was to try to get as close to a MotoGP bike as I could without going into the $20K+ realm (ie. 1299S/1299R Panigale, Honda RC213V).

I will say that if I was in the market for a street fighter it would be a tough choice between the MT10 and the Ducati Monster lineup - I've always been a big fan of the Diavel as well.

Yea, I went from sport bike to my FZ1. Once I rode a sporting bike with handlebars I swore I'd never go back to clip ons for the street. The FZ1 group has been pining for a crossplane crank R1 style motor in an FZ1 package. Seems it took a long time but Yamaha finally have listened.

So, I know it has been awhile since I took delivery on the R1 and I promised to post pictures. Needless to say, I have been slammed. We are in the process of putting our house up on the market and our offer was just accepted this past weekend on a new home, so I've had my hands full and have hardly ridden at all the past two weeks.

I figured I would go ahead and post a pic for you all. It isn't the greatest photo but it will give you an idea of how it's looking currently since I did the fender eliminator, removed all reflectors/etc. (cheap plastic crud), and also installed a three-quarter de-cat exhaust system. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts and I will post more pics when I have more time to take better shots - possibly down at the lake or something.

Anyways, enjoy!

~Cheers

2016-05-24%2000.49.27.jpg

Pretty easy for me.

And that color scheme, or lack thereof, is HOT!

Akra....droool.

I finally got it figured it right after you posted that.

And thanks, I think it's pretty clean and sophisticated looking. Love it.
punk.gif