Yamaha Touring Windscreen vs Rifle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oso

Reaction score
I ordered the Rifle +3 screen with the tuning kit. After about 10 days I called to see what's up. Apparently the machine that makes the tuning blocks was broken and they didn't know when it would be fixed. I canceled my order and bought the Yamaha Touring Screen. I hope I don't regret that. I find that if I scootch down 3 to 4" with the stock screen I can find a sweet spot. Otherwise, it is wind noise torture. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. When I ordered the Rifle I kept second guessing myself that I should have gone with the +5, I could always cut it down.

Anyhow, does anyone have experience with the Yammie Touring Screen vs the Rifle with the tuning kit. I am determined to find the quiet zone regardless if it is windscreen or helmet or both.

Thanks

You may get input from many folks with V-Streams, myself included. fairly serene traveling with earplugs included. Me is 5'11, (used to be 6' till I aged) around 208lbs. Rev Zilla has them.

Yamaha touring screens didn't work for me. No sweet spot, had to run it either all the way down or up.

Good luck with your search!

~G

Tried and still have the rifle screen, it was ok in the ‘cooler’ weather here but a bit of a barn door. Finding the Yamaha touring the best compromise for me, 6’ 3”, 33” inseam. Bar risers installed too.

I'm 5'11" as well - Yamaha Touring screen works great for me. It's very quiet and I have it around 90% up all the time. I also have a CalSci, but I find it too large and the fit isn't that nice actually...it hits the fairing if you lower it too much (could be fixed with a dremel I guess), and there's some annoying sounds when you go over bumps etc.

I just rode about 1,600 miles with a newly installed Yamaha touring screen and found that it had some weird light turbulence coming off of it all around. Kind of irritating, but not a deal killer. My last three shields were Cee Baily's. Much better in my opinion. Wish they still made them. Sorry I don't have experience with the Rifle. Maybe I'll try one next.

GP

Ive tried all the shields, Rifle included. Ive cut them down, raised them up, installed spacers, well you get it. The hands down winner was the Yamaha touring screen with an MRA Sport (not Tour) on top. It breaks the turbulence and directs air to top of helmet, not the sides. Im also 5-11, 32 inseam. Worth a try.

Yammie TS is da mutz nutz...have had one for years and love it.. I'm 6' and keep it @ 3/4 up....IMHO the best looking screen too...

Finally went for a short ride and I think the Touring Screen is going to work for me. A big improvement. Next, I may finally upgrade my 10 year old Nolan modular helmet. Looking at the HJC RPHA 90 as a possibility.

I ordered the Rifle +3 screen with the tuning kit. After about 10 days I called to see what's up. Apparently the machine that makes the tuning blocks was broken and they didn't know when it would be fixed. I canceled my order and bought the Yamaha Touring Screen. I hope I don't regret that. I find that if I scootch down 3 to 4" with the stock screen I can find a sweet spot. Otherwise, it is wind noise torture. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. When I ordered the Rifle I kept second guessing myself that I should have gone with the +5, I could always cut it down.Anyhow, does anyone have experience with the Yammie Touring Screen vs the Rifle with the tuning kit. I am determined to find the quiet zone regardless if it is windscreen or helmet or both.

Thanks
wondering if that is why my order placed on the 6 of June is still pending shipment....Unlike you I can't get them on the phone it just rings and rings.....

Well, after a 320 mile ride last weekend I have determined that the touring screen hasn't solved my problem of wind noise. Maybe it is not the screen but my Nolan modular helmet. I have now ordered the Laminar Lip. I'm not crazy about the looks but at this point I don't care. I do wear ear plugs but the wind noise when traveling at interstate speeds is just about unbearable.

Anyone have recommendations on a quiet modular helmet?

Well, after a 320 mile ride last weekend I have determined that the touring screen hasn't solved my problem of wind noise. Maybe it is not the screen but my Nolan modular helmet. I have now ordered the Laminar Lip. I'm not crazy about the looks but at this point I don't care.
Unfortunately there are so many variables when trying to find noise-free bliss. What works for one, doesn't for another. The only thing you can do is what you are doing. Read and research as much as you can and try whatever you think will work. I hope the Laminar Lip works out for you!

I do wear ear plugs but the wind noise when traveling at interstate speeds is just about unbearable.
Are you happy with the ear plugs your wearing? I'm just asking because a proper fitting set of ear plugs should knock out most of the unbearable noise.

This is another subject were one works and one doesn't. Ear canal size, shape, etc.

Anyone have recommendations on a quiet modular helmet?
Yet another subject were one works for some but not all. I would try and get the above 2 as quiet as you can first and then select a new helmet. YMMV.

If the Laminar Lip works, great. If it doesn't, take the windshield off and go for a ride with your present helmet and ear plugs. If it's dead quiet/much quieter than you'll know those aren't the main cause and you'll have to continue with the windshield quest. Some have found going smaller/shorter the way to go, putting your head into clean air.

Good Luck on your quest.

After posting the below without reading all the post, I look up and see kmanflyer asked the same thing LOL anyway

Have you thought about going lower? I just got my 2014 and cut 2" off the stock screen and put an xscreen spoiler on it. It works great for me, summer or winter. Smooth quiet air for me, but I do wear Max1 ear plugs and they are quiet

169317860.wCRS9nEG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried several different types of ear plugs including the Leight ones. I even had ones custom molded to my ears. None of them prevented the wind noise. Oddly enough it seems most pronounced when my face shield is closed as opposed to open. I have tried lowering the shield and I do appreciate that clean air but in general I want the air blast to go above my helmet.

I've got the Laminar Lip installed tonight. Hopefully, I can get out for a ride in the next few days to evaluate it.

I have somewhere close to 50,000 miles with the Yam touring screen. Works for me. When on the highway I run it up till I feel slight air pressure on my back and then lower it just a bit to get the "sweet spot". No absolute cone of silence but adequate. Height will vary a little depending on riding speed, wind speed and wind direction.

Around town I usually leave it all the way down.