Year in review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoolJustRide

Reaction score
I am just over a year of ownership on an 07 FJR.

I have about 8,700 + miles on my bike and I have to say I never tire of riding this motorcycle. I rode every month inthe past year except Feb. because of ice storms.

Here is a little of my 2 cents worth from some of the issues that I have read on the Forum.

HEAT: Yes the FJR does put out some heat especially when the temp's are over 90, but lets put this into perspective, you are sitting on top of a 145 hp high performance inline four, if you can't stand the heat drive your car and turn on the A/C otherwise shut up and enjoy the ride.

Windshield: I am 6'1" and the stock windshield is okay for now but next year I am going to be in the market for something taller/wider for Highway use.

Tires: the stock Bridgestone's basically stank from the get go. I wore them out then had a set of Conti Road Attack's mounted. Love those Conti's (Thank you Sport).

All in all it's been a great year and I look forward to many more with my FJR and with this Forum helping me to meet new people and all of you helping me to find more thing's I can spend my money on to "personalize" my FJR.

HEAT: Yes the FJR does put out some heat especially when the temp's are over 90,...
Try a Gen-1 FJR in temps over 90. When you get back on your Gen-2 you'll think the A/C got turned on. :D

SR-71

HEAT: Yes the FJR does put out some heat especially when the temp's are over 90,...
Try a Gen-1 FJR in temps over 90. When you get back on your Gen-2 you'll think the A/C got turned on. :D

SR-71
Or even worse, try a blackbird. I feel like a rotisserie chicken on that thing!

How's the busa in the heat? I've seen some with melted paint on the lower fairings!

Glad you like your bike, when GENIII comes out, I'll be considering an upgrade. Til then, the 04 and I have had way too many good times to even start thinking about trading her in.

SR-71
Or even worse, try a blackbird. I feel like a rotisserie chicken on that thing!

How's the busa in the heat? I've seen some with melted paint on the lower fairings!

Glad you like your bike, when GENIII comes out, I'll be considering an upgrade. Til then, the 04 and I have had way too many good times to even start thinking about trading her in.

...if you can't stand the heat drive your car and turn on the A/C otherwise shut up and enjoy the ride.
:eek:
Okay I admit that might be a tad harsh but when all things are considered the Gen II heat issue is not that bad. Basically you are sitting on an engine and two wheels. The engine is designed to run at higher temps for emissions then they shroud it in plastic which holds the heat inside then you throw in temps in the 90's and people are complaining that the bike throws heat. My 1150RT was hotter in warm temps than my FJR because the fairing was larger and the windshield didn't allow as much airflow in the lower position.

Damn, can never figure this out. I have a 02 Blackbird, heat has never been an issue.

What is a Blackbird?

"How's the busa in the heat? I've seen some with melted paint on the lower fairings!"

For some crazy reason and I don't know why, the engine heat from my Busa has never bothered me - it seems to be almost non-existent. Perhaps the melted paint on the lower fairings you speak of is an indication that Suzuki routed a large portion of the engine heat to the lower portions of the fairing. My Busa has no melting of the lower fairings; then again I never take it on long runs.

As for the FJR Gen-II heat. After cooking on a Gen-1 for a couple of summers (during cooler weather the Gen-1 was great!), the only heat I feel on my Gen-II is on my left ankle, and IMO its very tolerable compared to my Gen-1.

"What is a Blackbird?"

A very fast machine.

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
"How's the busa in the heat? I've seen some with melted paint on the lower fairings!"
For some crazy reason and I don't know why, the engine heat from my Busa has never bothered me - it seems to be almost non-existent. Perhaps the melted paint on the lower fairings you speak of is an indication that Suzuki routed a large portion of the engine heat to the lower portions of the fairing. My Busa has no melting of the lower fairings; then again I never take it on long runs.

As for the FJR Gen-II heat. After cooking on a Gen-1 for a couple of summers (during cooler weather the Gen-1 was great!), the only heat I feel on my Gen-II is on my left ankle, and IMO its very tolerable compared to my Gen-1.

"What is a Blackbird?"

A very fast machine.

SR-71
They are all very fast machines. some just a little more than others.

...if you can't stand the heat drive your car and turn on the A/C otherwise shut up and enjoy the ride.
Okay I admit that might be a tad harsh but when all things are considered the Gen II heat issue is not that bad. Basically you are sitting on an engine and two wheels. The engine is designed to run at higher temps for emissions then they shroud it in plastic which holds the heat inside then you throw in temps in the 90's and people are complaining that the bike throws heat. My 1150RT was hotter in warm temps than my FJR because the fairing was larger and the windshield didn't allow as much airflow in the lower position.

Damn, can never figure this out. I have a 02 Blackbird, heat has never been an issue.

What is a Blackbird?
Its like a crow only faster!!

What is a Blackbird?
Its like a crow only faster!!

Never had a heat problem on my gen 1 05.

Love the machine, love the ride, love the experience.

RC