YSS rear shock adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey my OEM shock is shot on a 2006A with ABS brakes. Looking at a YSS shock because of price. Paying over $1000 isn't a option. I ride both single and two up. Not a rough rider doing mostly day trips. I like the preload adjustment switch of the OEM on the left side of the bike. I can't seem to find any reference to how the YSS shock does preload adjustment particularly for the FJR1300 and if its difficult to access. Any YSS owners got any thoughts on ease of adjustment of the YSS shock?

Got one on my 2005. Pre-load is just a ring above the spring. Unlock a grub screw, insert the 'key' (metal rod that comes with the shock) or an Allen wrench or anything that fits and wind it round till you get where you want to be.

There's also a very useful ride height adjustment at the bottom too. Take the pivot bolt out, unlock the nuts, drop the linkage a smidge and wind the eye/rod round till to get the height you want. Easy!!

Absolutely transformed my ride (especially two up/loaded) for around £300!!

yss_mz456_eye_l_56.png

I'm not understanding your price point. If the OE shock was ok for you, a replacement brand new Gen3 OE shock can generally be had for less than us$600. The Gen3 shock is a direct replacement, just a little firmer. I've put 2 Gen3 shocks on Gen2 bikes, direct bolt-up.

https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/yamaha/2013/fjr1300a/rear-suspension
Bit of clarification is required. I'm located in Canada. The OEM Yamaha shock part number attatched is $1495 CAD taxes included from my local Yamaha dealer! With a discount I'm told... Basically where I ride both single and two up I would like a replacement shock to be easy to adjust the preload. There isn't much room where the shock bolts up top to get access to that I can understand for preload adjustment. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121_175627_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240121_175627_Chrome.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I had RaceTech rebuild my 06 A stock shock for $850 USD. The next rebuild will be less. (There's machining involved the first time) Worth exploring IMHO. And it's original to the bike... I like that! Rides great, and I knew it was going to fit perfect...

Pete-o

Hey my OEM shock is shot on a 2006A with ABS brakes. Looking at a YSS shock because of price. Paying over $1000 isn't a option. I ride both single and two up. Not a rough rider doing mostly day trips. I like the preload adjustment switch of the OEM on the left side of the bike. I can't seem to find any reference to how the YSS shock does preload adjustment particularly for the FJR1300 and if its difficult to access. Any YSS owners got any thoughts on ease of adjustment of the YSS shock?
Hello, I had a 2007A that I put a Gen 3 shock on. Fit form and function all perfect. Something to think about.

For reference, adjusting preload on a Penske (with a threaded collar) is similar to the YSS picture. Although it's tight in there, I'm able to adjust as needed when adding a pillion. From initial preload, you'll likely only need 1 - 2 turns additional preload to support a passenger.

If you choose YSS (or any aftermarket) shock, make sure you get an adequate spring. FJRs typically have 800 - 850#/in straight rate springs for rider and luggage. I have an 850# for single and swap it to a 950# for two-up and loaded. Adjustable ride height is a great feature too. That allows you to fine tune the bikes geometry and eliminate any rear squat for two-up.

~G

Hello, I had a 2007A that I put a Gen 3 shock on. Fit form and function all perfect. Something to think about.
I don't think I would purchase a used shock. A new shock for both the gen 2 and gen 3
I believe would be similar in pricing. Ordering a used shock from eBay I believe might be risky.

Have brand new YSS for sale... bought Oct 2023, never installed.... Vancouver, BC FB add is here....