Zumo 665 Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohawk

Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience to date with my recent purchase/upgrade.

So before this purchase I had a Sirius Stiletto 100 mounted on a wide RAM plate with a iPod holder and cell phone holder. The Sat Radio had a Bluetooth transmitter that got sent to the integrator box that sat in a tank bag. Power nightmare along with a 5-7 minute disconnection/reconnection process. Was way past the total nerd level.

So now I have Zumo 665 that has everything built into a single device. I have a 07 with a Guvi large E52 tail bag so finding a place to mount the antenna/hockey puck wasn’t that hard. (read where signal strenght was a major issue) I get full signal strength on the XM side and living in Colorado the weather service was a nice addition to my toy list. I put a 16gb microSD card in it and have about 1500 songs and have the ZUMO paired via BT with my wireless phone......so I am thrilled with the functionality, the clean look and the fact that is a pop out mount in the pocket and off I go...it all pipes into my helmet via Bluetooth.. Sat Radio/GPS navigation instructions/MP3 player/Phone Calls

The only negatives are 1. it’s not cheap but then again neither was all that other crap I had & 2. craddles and extra antenna's are pricey

as a side note if you’re a SIRRIUS customer, you get to have another account because they haven’t integrated the XM side of the business which I thought was pretty stupid

Let me know if you have any questions...

Thanks for the review. I'm not quite ready to spend the money on one but reviews like this do help. It's really just a matter of time, after all. And I do like the thought of having XM for LD rides (I have it in my truck already).

What BT headsets are you using in your helmets?

Do you use earplugs? If so, what kind?

Do you find the volume of the bluetooth headsets are adequate for all conditions?

I'm a Zumo 660 owner and trying to decide whether to spend the money on BT headsets or stay wired. TIA.

Do you find the volume of the bluetooth headsets are adequate for all conditions?

I'm a Zumo 660 owner and trying to decide whether to spend the money on BT headsets or stay wired. TIA.
Yeah, what he said. Also, does the BT headset pipe in stereo music? Battery life of headset? Quality of sound? Speaker size? Sorry you posted a review yet? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Fred, really??

I have a 660 and use the Sena SMH10. I keep the GPS master volume at 50% and the Sena volume around 75% (a guess based on how much dial is left). I use ear phones, and the sound is great.

I had to ride to NC using ear plugs and helmet speakers when I first got it. The sound was adequate, but not as good as the ear buds.

Fred, really??

I have a 660 and use the Sena SMH10. I keep the GPS master volume at 50% and the Sena volume around 75% (a guess based on how much dial is left). I use ear phones, and the sound is great.

I had to ride to NC using ear plugs and helmet speakers when I first got it. The sound was adequate, but not as good as the ear buds.
I agree with HotRodZilla, I currently have a JM Corp BLU277, but rode this past weekend and used ear buds...100% improvement in sound quality as well as killing out the wind noise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, what he said. Also, does the BT headset pipe in stereo music? Battery life of headset? Quality of sound? Speaker size? Sorry you posted a review yet? :rolleyes:

Thanks!
na not sorry...JM COrp Blu277 and its is in stereo...battery lasts around 10 hours...i posted that this past weekend I rode with ear buds in...and man oh man...way better...so next year I will most likly change to Sena smh10 that way I can keep ther earbuds, buy they plug into the dongle craddle, and everything else will be wireless!

Fred, really??

Yup, really.

Really really. Because, essentially... I do not believe the totally biased reports like yours. (sorry) I wasn't looking for a Sena BT zealot to tell me how great it is so that I can then waste $500 on bluetooth stuff that I can't ultimately use. I've already heard the vibe and still haven't bought into the hype. Yet

And in case you didn't notice, I'm not really interested in using ear buds.

You didn't say exactly what kind of earplugs you were using (like I asked), when using the ear speakers, and I already know that with 33DbA earplugs there is no chance in hell that you would be running at 50% volume on the Zumo.

So how about letting the guy that I asked, answer the question? Huh? :unsure:

Mohawk, care to answer my original questions?

Nevermind, deleted the thread with all the vulgarity.

I will however remember Fred's bullshit attitude next time something gets asked.

Zealot?? Really?? Because I like my equipment? There might be better out there, but I donno cuz the only thing I have experience with is the Sena.

As far as what decibel ear plugs I used??? How the Hell would I know. I actually get laid every now and then, so I don't give a flying fuck what specific super space material they are made of and what decibel reduction. They are the ones I shoot with.

And for the record, I didnt say I used the Zumo at 50% with the helmet speakers. I specifically said the ear plugs. The sound through the helmet speakers sucked ass, and as I've said before, I won't ever go that route again.

So, sorry you didn't like my zealot like post. Was just trying to be helpful. BUT the next time you feel like having an affair and don't want anyone to accidently answer your stupid fucking question, send a goddammed PM.

Nevermind, deleted the thread with all the vulgarity.

I will however remember Fred's bullshit attitude next time something gets asked.

Zealot?? Really?? Because I like my equipment? There might be better out there, but I donno cuz the only thing I have experience with is the Sena.

As far as what decibel ear plugs I used??? How the Hell would I know. I actually get laid every now and then, so I don't give a flying fuck what specific super space material they are made of and what decibel reduction. They are the ones I shoot with.

And for the record, I didnt say I used the Zumo at 50% with the helmet speakers. I specifically said the ear plugs. The sound through the helmet speakers sucked ass, and as I've said before, I won't ever go that route again.

So, sorry you didn't like my zealot like post. Was just trying to be helpful. BUT the next time you feel like having an affair and don't want anyone to accidently answer your stupid fucking question, send a goddammed PM.
Sorry to get you all worked up, 'zilla. I made some inflammatory word choices in my reply above. I shouldn't have said you were a zealot. But you do exude a certain amount of zeal about your Sena, don't you think?

Earplugs are all rated for NRR, which should always be clearly marked on the packages. It's typically something that a buyer would look at/for when selecting them. That and what pretty color they are.

My questions to mohawk, and concern with the any bluetooth headset, is whether or not they are loud enough to be used with my preferred 33 DbA ear plugs, so how they perform with earphones is not important to me. If that is a bullshit attitude, then I guess you have me all figured out.

Sorry Fred, think I spaced out a coupe of your questions. The setup in the helmet is JM Corp BLU277, and it has speakers and plenty of volume. Just this past weekend I used my ear buds and since they are noise cancelling, wow what a difference. I might be hacking it up so that I can use ear buds all the time, or look at the SENA SMH10 that has a cradle just for that. I have 2 sets of ear buds, SHURE SE110 that I am getting fitted for silicone ear molds for comfort. The other set of buds is Bowers & Wilkins C5 but dont think I will have them setup for riding. there is a loop that holds them in place for running and my guess the custom mold would mess that up.

Sorry Fred, think I spaced out a coupe of your questions. The setup in the helmet is JM Corp BLU277, and it has speakers and plenty of volume. Just this past weekend I used my ear buds and since they are noise cancelling, wow what a difference. I might be hacking it up so that I can use ear buds all the time, or look at the SENA SMH10 that has a cradle just for that. I have 2 sets of ear buds, SHURE SE110 that I am getting fitted for silicone ear molds for comfort. The other set of buds is Bowers & Wilkins C5 but dont think I will have them setup for riding. there is a loop that holds them in place for running and my guess the custom mold would mess that up.
Thanks for the reply.

With the JMC Blu277 with the helmet speakers, did you use earplugs? What kind?

Fred,

I run the 665 with Sena in a Schuberth Concept and HJC Sy-Max III. It is the loudest bluetooth I've used, but not loud enough for me at freeway speeds for music. Can hear GPS instructions and phone conversations no problem, so it is definitely the way the 665 is sending sound as it is using the same stereo bluetooth profile (and possible related to frequency response of the FEEJ engine). I also have noticed that sometimes music is really faint and I when I re-pair it gets slightly louder. . weird. I could probably get the helmet speakers a little closer to my ears, so maybe that would help. Unlike you though I'm looking to go the ear buds route, so I'm not too concerned. Usually keep the navigation setting on 665 at 60-70% and music 100%. I keep the Sena on full loud at freeway speeds. When I'm stopped a realize how loud that actually is. I used several 25 dB ear plugs as well without too much degrade of sound pressure level, so I feel like it is just engine noise that is drownding out those frequencies. I frankensteined a chatterbox (xbi2) to use with earplugs a few weeks ago and that sounded wonderful, so for me it is the only way to go. YMMV.

Is it loud enough for 33 dB plugs, I'd say no. I think to have sound nirvana you'd need to invest in some custom Westones, IMO. A fly with a set (limited frequency response) and am really impressed. Got to bite the bullet on some full range (music type) customs and I'll never want to park the bike, lol. Good luck.

I run the 665 with the Sena- way louder than the interphone F4 it replaced and pairs very quickly and stable. I do keep the volume all the way up and thr music on 100% and nav on 70%. Iphone to Garmin, Garmin to Sena. I wear 33db well fitting foam earplugs and have a noisy helmet and the volume is fine. The only thing that keeps going wrong is that the 665 keeps forgetting it has a card of MP3 in it. I have to restart it after it starts up every once in a while to make it remember the music card. It's also not terribly bright (lumens) during the day.