Fork gaiters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John d

Reaction score
I have looking for rubber bellows type fork gaiters to fit on the FJR.

I'm convinced they are the best thing going for protecting the fork tubes and fork internals, and on the FJR, would hardly even be visible. They are generally available for dirt bikes and old Brit bikes, but not large modern street bikes. The problem is that the ID size of what is available is too small to fit on the FJR.

Has anybody found some that would work, modified or not?

I need to ask why? I have over 162,000 km on my FJR and had two leaky fok seals............both from pure abuse. Coming down a little too hard from wheelies.

You may find what your are looking for from your local BMW dealer. I think there were a few older street models with fork gaiters

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm convinced they are the best thing going for protecting the fork tubes and fork internals, and on the FJR, would hardly even be visible. They are generally available for dirt bikes and old Brit bikes, but not large modern street bikes. The problem is that the ID size of what is available is too small to fit on the FJR.

They are tough to find. How about something like this...

https://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/fork_prot.html

https://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/fork_prot.html
I bet that those wouldn't fit with the Gen 2's mounted bug deflectors. I was thinking of those type as well but thought that they wouldn't work. IMHO :(

https://www.casportto.../fork_prot.html
I bet that those wouldn't fit with the Gen 2's mounted bug deflectors. I was thinking of those type as well but thought that they wouldn't work. IMHO :(

I did get these to go on my 2006. But...they don't fit. You are right in that the factory fork guards interfere. The neoprene gaiters were favorably reviewed by Motorcycle Consumer News. Too bad I don't have another bike that could use the gaiters. Hey, there's an idea.....

mr.paul, from Minnesota

https://www.casportto.../fork_prot.html

I did get these to go on my 2006. But...they don't fit. You are right in that the factory fork guards interfere. The neoprene gaiters were favorably reviewed by Motorcycle Consumer News. Too bad I don't have another bike that could use the gaiters. Hey, there's an idea.....

mr.paul, from Minnesota
I too have done around 100k miles on the same seals, before needing to replace them with nothing more than the covers that come with the SuperBrace, which are basically no bigger than the stockers.

mr.paul, from Minnesota
I've had these on my FJ for about 12 years or so. Only on the second set. Had a leaky fork seal when I bought the bike in '96, then I found the NOJ protectors. Rebuilt the forks in early 2003, but never had a leaking seal in that whole time.

They definitely won't fit over the factory fork guards.

I think buying fork gaiters for this bike is needlessly spending money that would be better spent on beer. Seriously.

I fitted a pair from a late model Yamaha dirtbike (not sure what model) to my '05 FJR. My dealer did some searching, and was able to find a set of gaiters designed for 46mm fork tubes. I don't recall if the Gen 1 bikes had the little protectors at the top edge of the fork lowers, but, if so, I removed them. The gaiters were a tight stretch fit over the lowers. No problems, and no fork seal leaks in 168K, including several rides up and down the Dalton and Alaskan Highways. Good stuff.

John Ryan

LaughingHard.gif

I think buying fork gaiters for this bike is needlessly spending money...
Remove "fork gaiters" and replace it with almost anything else and you have the definition of "farkle"

I fitted a pair from a late model Yamaha dirtbike (not sure what model) to my '05 FJR. My dealer did some searching, and was able to find a set of gaiters designed for 46mm fork tubes. I don't recall if the Gen 1 bikes had the little protectors at the top edge of the fork lowers, but, if so, I removed them. The gaiters were a tight stretch fit over the lowers. No problems, and no fork seal leaks in 168K, including several rides up and down the Dalton and Alaskan Highways. Good stuff.

John Ryan
If you find out which ones they were....................

The problem with finding the best fitting gaiters on the internet is that gaiters are sold mainly to fit certain models without saying what the actual sizes are.

Gaiterman has some 50x60x200 gaiters. If the 60mm bottom can be successfully stretched to 72mm it would be a go. Yes, the stock fork protectors need to be popped off which then reveals the recessed ring for fitting the gaiter lip. The 50mm top could easily be scrunched down with a zip tie at the top to fit the 48mm fork tubes.

These are the Daystar 408 series 315-2371

It is shown here with 11 ribs showing, half the original length. It touched the battery box with the forks compressed at a stop with the handle bars turned to the right. I then removed 3 more ribs to have 8 ribs showing which solved that problem, but I wish I had left 9 ribs showing. With 8 ribs showing the bottom cable tie can only be installed after the forks are on the bike and the front end is somewhat compressed.

There is also a slight contact with the rubber sheathing covering the brake lines. I'm working on that.

P1040009_zpsyadtbkdt.jpg

The bottom ID of the gaiter is a little big, but the cable tie cinches it up nicely.

There may be other gaiters out there that don't bulge out as much, but this seems like it'll work out. I have only ridden with them for about 70 miles so far.

I have a set of gaiters on my bike. BUT they don't look at all like them John. They are made by Moose. They have a zipper on the back which makes it easy for you put on and remove if required. Sorry, I have given up on trying to post pictures on this forum.

(and no I don't want any lessons)
mda.gif

I have a set of gaiters on my bike. BUT they don't look at all like them John. They are made by Moose. They have a zipper on the back which makes it easy for you put on and remove if required. Sorry, I have given up on trying to post pictures on this forum.(and no I don't want any lessons)
mda.gif
By any chance are these the zip on gaiters you're using?

SEALSAVERSSealSaversZip-OnForkSealProtection-13/4in.-BlackSSZ134BLK

by Seal Saver

Link: https://amzn.com/B00JDQ3MXY

1-3/4" Short (44-50mm forks) 5" & 3/4" long Fits almost all 125CC-500CC bikes SEAL SAVERS

71ToqftxU9L._SL1500_.jpg

I have a set of gaiters on my bike. BUT they don't look at all like them John. They are made by Moose. They have a zipper on the back which makes it easy for you put on and remove if required. Sorry, I have given up on trying to post pictures on this forum.(and no I don't want any lessons)
mda.gif
I have seen similar products before Tom, but I'm not convinced they would keep dirt out better than the rubber bellows type gaiters. Certainly, they are quick and easy to install, and clean periodically.