What a difference a taller shield makes!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3386

Reaction score
Holy smokes! I may not have to wear earplugs again! Cal Sci's tall windshield (3.5" taller than stock) arrived via FedEx just before my Saturday morning ride. 3mm Allen wrench and gingerly-turned Phillips in hand, I swapped out my Cee Bailey +2 (blue tint) and did a quick 80 or so miles.

The sound tornado (albeit always a bit loud in my Nolan N102 flip-up helmet) and buffeting subsided.

Mark at Cal Sci was diligent in asking me tons of questions about my height, inseam, weight, seat height, riding posture (6'0", 32", 178, lowered due to Corbin, a bit slouchy) before calculating the Tall was the best fit.

Only caveat: a dozen Suzuki GXR riders pulled up behind me and my FJR ridin' buddy Steve on Pacific Coast Highway. They all looked quite sporty, and I'm slightly vain. I (with my Cal Sci Tall in all-the-way-up position) looked like I was captaining an America's Cup sailboat, so I pressed the grey button and lowered the shield down to not-so-geeky height. (You could almost hear their "oohs" and "ahs.")

Then we (a couple of ex-Brit, late 40s geezers on panniers-off FJRs) smoked those bloody GXRs. B)

Just curious, did the people at Cal Sci reccomend where the windshield should be when in the full up position? I've heard that the window when up, you should be looking slightly over the top for the proper height. I know some prefer to have the window over the line of sight, but this seems over kill and would be a bother to look through as in rain, glare etc. Obviously the retractable window has the advantage but any info gained would be appreceiated to try and figure what height and width to buy in the future. PM. <>< :)

Just curious, did the people at Cal Sci reccomend where the windshield should be when in the full up position? I've heard that the window when up, you should be looking slightly over the top for the proper height.
Painman: Great question and correct observation, IMHO. As a longtime Gold Winger, I can tell you that 70-80% of long distance road warriors prefer to look slightly above the touring windshield, not through it. Doing so creates the clearest vision of the road ahead, and should funnel most 55mph+ rain over the rider's helmet, although when it rains heavily, everything gets wet...

With the Cal Sci Tall on my '06 FJR, at the top-most position, I'm looking an inch or two over the top edge...perfect. At the lowest position, I still get decent cooling air flow. (SoCal winter riding = Fieldsheer leathers. Summer = BMW Venting Machine armored mesh suit.)

Lee,

Love my calsci too. But I gotta wonder how Captain America could smoke the GXR’s? Or, just what kind of smoking was going on out there?

All in good fun.

Geeky, naw. They were probably thinking what great looking bikes those feejers are! :yes:

6228Copy_of_H8-3.jpg

shokdimn :bike:

Lee, I'm curious to know what Corbin seat you're using?

Lee, I'm curious to know what Corbin seat you're using?
Xbrit: The bike's under cover in the garage tonight (yeah, I know, wussie stuff, but I'm still going through the 'honeymoon phase' with my FJR), so I couldn't snap a photo of the rider Corbin saddle, but here's a pic of the (removed, to make room for my Corbin Smuggler) matching, rear (heated) Corbin. There seems to be no model # per se, but maybe you or someone can ID the type of Corbin saddle this is.

rear-Corbin-heated-saddle-web500.jpg

Lee, Love my calsci too. But I gotta wonder how Captain America could smoke the GXR’s? Or, just what kind of smoking was going on out there?
Okay, so maybe the GXR riders weren't aware Steve and I were smoking them. But I always maintain that riding fast is 80% rider and 20% machine. (I've seen Gold Wings scrape pegs and toast sport bikes through canyon roads...not that I'd ever do that.) :rolleyes:

By the way, my avatar isn't Captain America, it's a photo I took of my plastic/steel model of Kaneda, the protagonists's futuristic motorcycle from the anime movie Akira (1988). Great metal-cased DVD to own...going up in value due to collectors' demands. Several real-life bike mfrs have tried to build an Akira-bike. Here are a couple of Suzuki concepts.

Hi Lee

I am in torrance and would like to check out that Corbin and the windsheild one day.

let me know when you are around and i will come find you.

Richard

P.S whats with the " exbrit" stuff. once a brit always a brit i thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my CalSci BIG screen, too. Made all the difference to me in riding. Without it, I would not have kept the FJR.

Regarding windscreen height. I, too, ride a WING and always have the screen in a position where I can see over it. Like 2 inches below my eye level as I sit on the bike.

BTW, the hole in the CalSci got pretty cool a week ago. I tried to cut a piece o'plastic as was posted here a few weeks ago, but it broke and fractured. I'll have to get some more flexible stuff this week .... until then, I just used some duct tape. Worked great.

I love my CalSci BIG screen, too. Made all the difference to me in riding. Without it, I would not have kept the FJR....BTW, the hole in the CalSci got pretty cool a week ago. I tried to cut a piece o'plastic as was posted here a few weeks ago, but it broke and fractured. I'll have to get some more flexible stuff this week .... until then, I just used some duct tape. Worked great.
Bagger,

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but didn't someone here say that Mark at Cal Sci would mail out (no charge?) a clear plug for that hole? Duct tape residue is a b#$% to remove. I've heard gaffers tape is just as strong but less residue. Finally, I'm curious if plugging that hole creates behind-the-shield buffeting.

I love my CalSci BIG screen, too. Made all the difference to me in riding. Without it, I would not have kept the FJR....BTW, the hole in the CalSci got pretty cool a week ago. I tried to cut a piece o'plastic as was posted here a few weeks ago, but it broke and fractured. I'll have to get some more flexible stuff this week .... until then, I just used some duct tape. Worked great.
Bagger,

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but didn't someone here say that Mark at Cal Sci would mail out (no charge?) a clear plug for that hole? Duct tape residue is a b#$% to remove. I've heard gaffers tape is just as strong but less residue. Finally, I'm curious if plugging that hole creates behind-the-shield buffeting.
Hey, Lee ....

No buffeting at all. Quiet, quiet, quiet. I love it.

Yeah, I remember some thread about CalSci (possibly) sending out a plug for the windscreen. But, how would one use it? You still gotta tape it up, eh? I forgot the fella's 'handle', but think he was from Alaska. He made a little piece o'plastic from a Tupperware-type bowl (or some such deal) and slid it down behind the windscreen. Looked good ... inexpensive and worked great. And, no tape! Someone else used a desk protector, I think.

I tried to do this, but the plastic I used was too brittle and broke. Damm. I'll have to look back and see.

BAGGEr

VicaDon in Alaska did the Tupperware deal. Seems like the EZist and cheapest way to plug the hole. Do a search under his user name or mine and I'm sure you'll see the post. It's about the size of Alaska. :D

I think I'll try this out this weekend.

BAGGER

Cal Sci has officially changed the name of their windshields to

[SIZE=18pt]SAMARAI SLICING SCREENS[/SIZE]

:2handed: :2handed: :2handed: :2handed:

I was cleaning the buggar and accidentally brushed my finger against one of the cutout holes and SLICED THE *&$%@^ out of it. Blood everywhere. It's sharp as hell. Really needs to have its edges buffed!!

Careful gents...

Last edited by a moderator:

I was cleaning the buggar and accidentally brushed my finger against one of the cutout holes and SLICED THE *&$%@^ out of it. Blood everywhere. It's sharp as hell. Really needs to have its edges buffed!!

Careful gents...

Altho, I don't think the edges of the CalSci windscreen is as smooth as Yamaha's, my shield is certainly not sharp. I seriously doubt if I could cut myself.

I've cut a few Harley windscreens with my 'jigsaw' and then finished the edges myself. This has worked well in the past. Use a Scotchbrite green pad on your finger to gently remove the sharp edges. But, I'd be careful not to touch ANY other vertical part of the 'glass'. Other's have gone thru several other methods to smooth a windscreen, but this works well for me. I suppose if the plastic is extremely sharp, one could use some very fine sand paper first, then the green Scotchbrite pad.

Cheers, bro .... :D

Careful gents...

Altho, I don't think the edges of the CalSci windscreen is as smooth as Yamaha's, my shield is certainly not sharp. I seriously doubt if I could cut myself.

I've cut a few Harley windscreens with my 'jigsaw' and then finished the edges myself. This has worked well in the past. Use a Scotchbrite green pad on your finger to gently remove the sharp edges. But, I'd be careful not to touch ANY other vertical part of the 'glass'. Other's have gone thru several other methods to smooth a windscreen, but this works well for me. I suppose if the plastic is extremely sharp, one could use some very fine sand paper first, then the green Scotchbrite pad.

Cheers, bro .... :D
Thanks, maan. I restocked my blood supply by drinking generous amounts of red wine. Seemed sensible.

And... my screen isn't particularly sharp around the perimeter although it's certainly not edged as nicely as my cee bailey was. Where it's really sharp is the cutouts. Think they skipped a finishing step on the two holes.... OUCH! :butcher:

Latest posts