First Ride was Great, but shifter is acting up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duggram

Reaction score
First, has anyone else had problems with their shifter sticking in the up and down position after a shift? Had the bike back to the dealer this morning and they didn't have much to say.

Got my '08 last night and didn't get to ride it but home. This morning I had to be at the dealer at 9 to have the GPS tracking/anti-theft thing installed.

Two hours later I finally get to head out on my own. Wow! I've never owned a bike like this. It's always been roadsters and dirt bikes. Love the power and handling. The top heavy feeling up front when cornering was fine once I figured out that I could slide high on the seat to balance it out. Got a little nervous about the warning to take it easy till the tires are scuffed in. If you take it easy how do the tires get scuffed in?

Anyway, on the way home I noticed that up shifting had stopped sticking, but down shifting would still hesitate too much. It's not deal breaker but it is irritating.

Doug

First, has anyone else had problems with their shifter sticking in the up and down position after a shift? Had the bike back to the dealer this morning and they didn't have much to say.
Got my '08 last night and didn't get to ride it but home. This morning I had to be at the dealer at 9 to have the GPS tracking/anti-theft thing installed.

Two hours later I finally get to head out on my own. Wow! I've never owned a bike like this. It's always been roadsters and dirt bikes. Love the power and handling. The top heavy feeling up front when cornering was fine once I figured out that I could slide high on the seat to balance it out. Got a little nervous about the warning to take it easy till the tires are scuffed in. If you take it easy how do the tires get scuffed in?

Anyway, on the way home I noticed that up shifting had stopped sticking, but down shifting would still hesitate too much. It's not deal breaker but it is irritating.

Doug
I have an 08A with 1600 miles on it now. That has happened to me a few times but it seems to slow with time. I hope it's just breaking in, but I can tell you it has happened. Both upshifts and downshifts.

Doug

I have an 08A with 1600 miles on it now. That has happened to me a few times but it seems to slow with time. I hope it's just breaking in, but I can tell you it has happened. Both upshifts and downshifts.

+ 1. I've got 1,400 miles and have had the same. Likewise it seems to be happening less frequently as the miles go on.

Just a thought...

Are you totally removing your foot from the shifter either up or down? If you drag or rest your foot on the shifter you may not be letting it go back home to it's neutral position ready to shift again. Some times large boots or thick boots contribute to it by not letting you feel if your resting your foot against the shifter, or keeping the shifter up when your toe is underneath it.

Again, just a thought... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a though...
Are you totally removing your foot from the shifter either up or down? If you drag or rest your foot on the shifter you may not be letting it go back home to it's neutral position ready to shift again. Some times large boots or thick boots contribute to it by not letting you feel if your resting your foot against the shifter, or keeping the shifter up when your toe is underneath it.

Again, just a thought... :)
I can tell you what I've felt. I have pulled from a stop sign, shifted from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and cruised for a while and see the light turning yellow....tried to shift down back to 2nd and it's just blank..can't shift up OR down for a minute. I pull in the clutch and cruise because it's all I can do and just move the shift lever up-down slowly and methodically and it self corrects. It's a weird thing. I promise you that I am alert and aware of shifting and where my foot is at but it does not respond until I move the lever up-down a few times. It's a real bizarre feeling. Maybe it's normal? Like I said before, it has gotten better with mileage.

The paddle shifter on my AE's handlebars has never stuck once. Neither has the foot shifter. Did I mention how much I love the. AE!

Thanks for all the replies. This is a great list.

Bluesman, I hear what you're saying. After the problem of sticking occurred a couple of times I became very attentive to how I was shifting. I think I'm doing it right (foot off, etc.). I still ride my Sportster and don't have the same problem. Also before buying the new style bike I upgraded my footwear to a pair of SIDI riding boots that fit tight without the big toes. After considering the possibilities I think the problem is with the bike.

Kiteman, perfect description of what's happening. But it's getting easier to live with.

DailyCommuter, I'm only 58 now, but when I become a lot older and physically decrepit it's good to know that we have options like paddle shifters to take care of us.

Thank you,

Doug

Probably the shift forks haven't broke into the shift drum yet, or might even be a little tight. Could also be the detent spring being a little weak. I would bet on the drum first though. Should improve with riding. Still might have the dealler look at it though. If for nothing else but to note it in the service records. Synthetic oil will aid in the shifting after at least 2500 mi. or more of dino oil.

Went for a 2 hour ride yesterday. Down shifting sticks the same at end of ride as is does at the beginning. No more problems with up shifting any time.

I like the synthetic idea. Will try in time.

Thanks,

Doug

While it's unlikely that your shifter's misaligned, you might want to run a visual check. It only takes 5 seconds.

The shift pedal should be aligned with the lower bolt on the middle gear cover. For any adjustments, you loosen the locknuts on the shift rod and rotate it until you have achieved the proper alignment. Funny how much difference a minor misalignment makes...

You might also find this post interesting ---->Here

Stef

My 07 was bad about "blocking" the shift from 5th to 4th at low speed, low rpm from day one. It has become less frequent with some miles and the ride around is to let the clutch out while keeping a slight pressure on the shift lever, it will click down to 4th no problem. Of course the Yamaha dealer felt it was normal and truthfully I don't want them in the gearbox unless it explodes anyway. I've owned alot of Yamaha's over the years and none were without some gearbox or clutch quirk that i got used to with some time and miles. Thought I read they were trying to address the shifting issues with a redesign of gearbox internal lube lines or something, apparently it hasn't changed much. Don't let it bug you and soon it will be just one of several little charming charateristics you will get to love about the bike.