Shifting Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usetobeharley

Reaction score
I have a brand new 08 and put about 150 miles on it Saturday. The bike shifts fine from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. However, it seems to be different going from 3rd to 4th, and then from 4th to 5th. On these shifts it seems to require significantly more effort in upward pressure. Downshifting I have no problems at all, and again, no problems going from 1st to 2nd and then to3rd. Anybody know why the shifting from 3rd to 4th, and then from 4th to 5th would seem more troublesome? Any suggestions? Thanks.

The gearbox isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. From your forum name I guess you came from a Harley. The throw from first to second is the longest and may be more like what you're used to. Some of us have replace the shift arm with a shorter one from an R1 to make the throw even shorter, and the shifting faster. I think you'll find you like it once you break it in for a couple thousand miles, and you'll get accustomed to the feel.

The gearbox isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. From your forum name I guess you came from a Harley. The throw from first to second is the longest and may be more like what you're used to. Some of us have replace the shift arm with a shorter one from an R1 to make the throw even shorter, and the shifting faster. I think you'll find you like it once you break it in for a couple thousand miles, and you'll get accustomed to the feel.
Thanks for your reply. If anything Geezer, it feels like a longer throw from 3rd to 4th to 5th. I take your word for it that thats not the case. Just seems like it requires greater upward pressure to go from 3rd to 4th, and then from 4th to 5th. Since the bike is brand new, perhaps it's just a matter of the gearbox getting broken in and hopefully the shifting is just a matter of getting used to. Again, shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd feels like a shorter throw to me and engages easily. It's shifting up from there that I seem to be having trouble grasping.

Often, preceived shifting problems are just the result of getting accustomed to the shifting characteristics of a new bike. I know I had to adjust my shift lever up on my new FJR to execute proper shifts comfortably. 150 miles is not much time to get to know and feel comfortable with your new steed, especially coming from a cruiser/Harley.

Give it a few more hundred miles for the FJR to break in, and for you to get used to it. After that, if you still feel there is a problem, have another FJR rider in your area give it a spin to get their take on things. That is the only way to know if you have an actual problem, or if it's just how you are adapting to the bike. I wouldn't trust a dealer. Seriously.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, coming from a cruiser, perhaps you are shifting at a relatively low rpm? Crank the rpm's up a bit and see how she shifts.

And, coming from a cruiser, perhaps you are shifting at a relatively low rpm? Crank the rpm's up a bit and see how she shifts.
Yep, shifting a Harley is a leisurely task at best. La-ti-da - shift, La-ti-da - shift, etc. No dis, that's just the way it is and I rather quite enjoyed the sequence when I rode my Road King.

Scab is right, shift it fast and at higher revs and you'll find that it's pretty slick. Better yet, get a handle on clutchless up-shifts (sorry for the pun). ;)

Last edited by a moderator: