More RPM vs speedo but different...maybe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope I'm asking a different / interesting Q. I've had my '06 Gen II for three months and enjoyed the 4k mi I've put on it so far. Yesterday I was running up the two-lane to work at about 50 mph and thinking, "Wow. This thing is really smooth! Must be the cooler fall temperatures." ...then I realized I was in 5th gear! I'd been enjoying the scenery and the ride. ( it might have been at about 3200 )This thing seems happy in any gear. 65 MPH in second?? No problem! Third? No problem. Cruise at 65-70 in 4th? You're good to go! My old airhead BMW needed to be above 4k to shift smoothly and pay back the battery. 4200 was the real sweet spot. What's the formula for happy FJR motor? I've seen the charts, but honestly not finding them helpful. I don't care much about 100+MPH. I don't care about the 6th gear convo. If YOU were cruising along a two lane at about 65, would you be in 4th? On the slab at 80+ ish I think I'd generally be in 5th. I seem never to need to downshift to pass. It just goes.
TIA for your opinions and ride safe!

Last edited:
but it was kinda hard to believe.
In 2005 when I got my first FJR I thought the engine was more like an electric train and has been one of the smoothest and highest output motorcycle engines I've had. The decent horsepower and linear torque make it more like you're turning a knob and wherever you turn it to...it goes nearly instantly. In stock exhaust it is also fairly quiet, with a no fuss "Zzzzzhhh..." sound as well. These unassuming qualities are the only thing disonant with the fact things get big in the windshield so quickly...especially at the speeds the FJR likes to ride well above the century mark.

...and it charges the battery even at "low" rpm's!?
I haven't had any issues with battery not charging running at lower RPM. i.e. Highway cruise in 5th gear (I have a 5-speed Gen II).
If you are concerned or if you are running a bunch of accessories like heated gear and auxiliary lighting, you might want to put a voltmeter on the bike to make sure you are running 13.8V or higher.
As for the engine's "Happy" point, it all depends on what you are doing. Cruising on the highway when there are no demands for instant power, the bike is happy at 2500 rpm but you will want to downshift to pass someone or for steep hills. The bike doesn't really wake up until 5,000 or more and can be quite exciting running it at higher rpm even though it might not be strictly necessary.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with battery not charging running at lower RPM. i.e. Highway cruise in 5th gear (I have a 5-speed Gen II).
If you are concerned or if you are running a bunch of accessories like heated gear and auxiliary lighting, you might want to put a voltmeter on the bike to make sure you are running 13.8V or higher.
As for the engine's "Happy" point, it all depends on what you are doing. Cruising on the highway when there are no demands for instant power, the bike is happy at 2500 rpm but you will want to downshift to pass someone or for steep hills. The bike doesn't really wake up until 5,000 or more and can be quite exciting running it at higher rpm even though it might not be strictly necessary.
Thanx!!! It's quite a different machine comp'd to the bmws I've owed. Each great in their own wa
In 2005 when I got my first FJR I thought the engine was more like an electric train and has been one of the smoothest and highest output motorcycle engines I've had. The decent horsepower and linear torque make it more like you're turning a knob and wherever you turn it to...it goes nearly instantly. In stock exhaust it is also fairly quiet, with a no fuss "Zzzzzhhh..." sound as well. These unassuming qualities are the only thing disonant with the fact things get big in the windshield so quickly...especially at the speeds the FJR likes to ride well above the century mark.
"These unassuming qualities are the only thing disonant with the fact things get big in the windshield so quickly..." it makes me think I ought get back in a class asap. Lotsa fun down the road!

Interesting comments about various member's RPM sweet spots. I have a 2014ES and soon after purchasing new I had the final drive modified using Star Venture parts. That mod reduced my RPM's to where I am running about 4mph faster in 5th gear than with the stock final drive. In addition I run 190/55 rear tire which makes the speedo accurate paired with the GPS. Only on occasion do I get the engine up to 5000rpm's That is when passing a long semi or string of vehicles.

The bike will get it's best fuel economy on the highway in 5th gear, but accelerate to pass best if you downshift. Other than that, the bike doesn't really care -- the torque curve is extremely flat, pulling well at anything over 3,000 rpm; the balancing shaft is very effective.

I still remember my first FJR ride. I hit it at 3,500 rpm, felt the front wheel start to lift and thought "Oh wow, the powerband starts here." Then I rolled on from 5,000 and thought "Ooops, I stand corrected," Finally I hit it at 7,000 and had just enough time to think "Sweet Jesus!" before hitting the rev limiter. That was how she told me her name was Pandora.

Thanx!!! It's quite a different machine comp'd to the bmws I've owed. Each great in their own wa
"The bike doesn't really wake up until 5,000 or more and can be quite exciting running it at higher rpm even though it might not be strictly necessary" ...holy mole'

Interesting comments about various member's RPM sweet spots. I have a 2014ES and soon after purchasing new I had the final drive modified using Star Venture parts. That mod reduced my RPM's to where I am running about 4mph faster in 5th gear than with the stock final drive. In addition I run 190/55 rear tire which makes the speedo accurate paired with the GPS. Only on occasion do I get the engine up to 5000rpm's That is when passing a long semi or string of vehicles.
"Only on occasion do I get the engine up to 5000rpm's That is when passing a long semi or string of vehicles." ...which is pretty much how I've been running it; 5k + if I really want accelerate to pass. thanx!

I tend to punch it on a freeway ramp (just to get up to freeway speed, mind you), then short shift many gears. Top gear gives best fuel economy and least vibes, so unless under 50 mph I'm usually there unless passing.

Interesting bit: I have to travel around 5 miles of my commute is in a 25 zone. At an indicated 30 MPH, I used to be in 3rd gear, but then I switched to instantaneous "fuel economy" mode, and found that 4th gear gives 4 MPG better at an indicated 30 (which of course, is actually less than 30 MPH). I really didn't care about the increased MPH until $5/Gal gas!

Try this: Stay in 5th, slow down until you're about 1,000 RPM. Don't nail the throttle, but roll it in all the way. The bike will pull smoothly, no missing or bucking, for as long as you dare keep it pinned. That probably violates Ignacio's "lugging," but not for very long!

Try this: Stay in 5th, slow down until you're about 1,000 RPM. Don't nail the throttle, but roll it in all the way. The bike will pull smoothly, no missing or bucking, for as long as you dare keep it pinned. That probably violates Ignacio's "lugging," but not for very long!
It's wild how slow these bikes can go in the high gears. 30 mph in 5th gear (on the 5 speed) is easily doable.

I love pulling into places and shifting up two or three gears to "enable EV mode" so nobody notices me coming lol.

It's wild how slow these bikes can go in the high gears. 30 mph in 5th gear (on the 5 speed) is easily doable.

I love pulling into places and shifting up two or three gears to "enable EV mode" so nobody notices me coming lol.
Yeah, it's kinda crazy coming off 40+ years of BMW twins. During Reg Pridmore's CLASS some years ago a student asked about red lining and he replied that "they run them on the bench at redline all day, so keep the rev's up." And so I did. And the BM always let me know if I tried to accelerate too hard from the wrong gear. So this bike kinda fooled me. I kept thinking I must be doing something wrong. The engine never lugged ( ok 2nd gear is sometimes kinda jerky-jerky, but that feels like "drive lash" or something ) And just yesterday for no particular reason on a two-lane out in the country I wound it out past 7,000 in 1st, 2nd and just into 3rd, and even with earplugs that high-pitched whine...like you hear at the races, kinda surprised me. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Next up; LD comfort. it's got bar-backs and a Sargent, but not qui-i-i-i-i-ite perfect yet. Cheers, mate!

Yeah, it's kinda crazy coming off 40+ years of BMW twins. During Reg Pridmore's CLASS some years ago a student asked about red lining and he replied that "they run them on the bench at redline all day, so keep the rev's up." And so I did. And the BM always let me know if I tried to accelerate too hard from the wrong gear. So this bike kinda fooled me. I kept thinking I must be doing something wrong. The engine never lugged ( ok 2nd gear is sometimes kinda jerky-jerky, but that feels like "drive lash" or something ) And just yesterday for no particular reason on a two-lane out in the country I wound it out past 7,000 in 1st, 2nd and just into 3rd, and even with earplugs that high-pitched whine...like you hear at the races, kinda surprised me. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Next up; LD comfort. it's got bar-backs and a Sargent, but not qui-i-i-i-i-ite perfect yet. Cheers, mate!
I occasionally get the itch and run the hell out of mine. It loves it. It sounds like it's supercharged, the intake noise is awesome.

Interesting to know about BMW boxers. I'll likely have one someday (r1250rt) so it's good to know that I won't be able to run it quite as low as the FJR lol

Highly recommend a tall windshield if yours doesn't have it. Gotta be the biggest single improvement I've done on mine.

Enjoy your FJR!

yeah it came fro the PO with a V stream and I've tried the others on a diff FJR. Long story. I mostly bought the FJR bc I moved to a town that's too far for BMW service, and there's a Yammy dealer here. But I'm loving the bike. If I had the $ I'd buy the 1250 RT in a heartbeat. I rode my buddy's for just a few minutes and it's completely insane. I swear the thing is psychic. It seems to shift as you think about shifting. It steers where you think U wanna go. It's bizarre. And comfy

Last edited:
If I had the $ I'd buy the 1250 RT in a heartbeat.
Initial cost
Poor dealer network
Parts costs
Service costs
No available service manual
Reliability issues

Just make sure you have another bike in the stable to ride while the Beemer is in the shop.

They aren't all bad, but BMW doesn't hold a candle to Yamaha (specifically FJR) demonstrated longevity and reliability.