Engage XL Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingJ

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the engage xl tank bag from twisted throttle? I was thinking about picking this up.I like how it attaches to the tank ring.

What exactly do you want to know? Thanks to my PNW buds, I have one installed on my GenII and it works well. The mounting system keeps the bag (mostly) off the tank and is really nifty for quick fuel stops. Quality is good, and the bag comes with a rain cover.

Before drilling holes for the bag side mount, make sure it is located far enough rearward to insure that you can get full lock both ways on the bars...No need to be honking the horns all the time.

Good Luck.

--G

Install is easy peasy: remove the allen heads that hold the gascap ring, then use the supplied allen heads to mount the ring to the tank. Takes five minutes.

Then, like Escapeartist says, figure out the positioning of where you want the bag, then drill 4 holes in the bottom of the bag's plastic mount, use the supplied bolts/nuts to fasten the corresponding tank bag ring, then voila: snap the bag on.

Gassing up or removing the tank bag is a cinch: you just tug at the string in front which disconnects the tank ring from the bag ring (a thick cotter pin holds the two together). No scratching of the tank, and the bag never actually touches the tank, it is suspended above it by 1/4 inch or so.

You can add accessories if you need them, I added the map bag, which I use to stow cell phone, ipod, and FRS radio. The tank bag itself has a zippered front, near the handlebars, to allow you to pass cables through to your accessories stored in the bag.

Here's a pic from CFR of the tank bag with the map bag on top. Love this bag, could not go with anything else. Buy the XL, I think the regular size is a mite too small.

P1010007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly do you want to know? Thanks to my PNW buds, I have one installed on my GenII and it works well. The mounting system keeps the bag (mostly) off the tank and is really nifty for quick fuel stops. Quality is good, and the bag comes with a rain cover.
Before drilling holes for the bag side mount, make sure it is located far enough rearward to insure that you can get full lock both ways on the bars...No need to be honking the horns all the time.

Good Luck.

--G
Thanks for the input guys,I was just unsure if it was going to be big enough.I liked the Engage GS bag but I was tolled it would not fit the FJR,which I didn't understand because the front of the bag is narrower in the front than the XL.They look like they both fit the tank the same way so I was hoping it would work.The XL does look good on the bike.

Thanks...

Flying J, I happened to attend the BMWMOA Rally in Johnson City Tn this last weekend with some of my Beemer buddies. Twisted throttle was one of the vendors. I pulled my FJR right up to their trailer. I currently have the Daypack II which is great for short trips and riding around town. But I am thinking about a larger tank bag for longer trips especially when I camp.

There are two that work well for the FJR: the Engage XL and the City. I was actually more impressed with the City because it has two or three more smaller outside pockets. I don't thinl the Engage has any outside pockets. The internal space on both is pretty much the same size.

Ask for Matt at Twisted Throttle when you call. He heped me at the Rally where we held both bags right up to the tank. I personally would go with th City due to more functionality.

Flying J, I happened to attend the BMWMOA Rally in Johnson City Tn this last weekend with some of my Beemer buddies. Twisted throttle was one of the vendors. I pulled my FJR right up to their trailer. I currently have the Daypack II which is great for short trips and riding around town. But I am thinking about a larger tank bag for longer trips especially when I camp.
There are two that work well for the FJR: the Engage XL and the City. I was actually more impressed with the City because it has two or three more smaller outside pockets. I don't thinl the Engage has any outside pockets. The internal space on both is pretty much the same size.

Ask for Matt at Twisted Throttle when you call. He heped me at the Rally where we held both bags right up to the tank. I personally would go with th City due to more functionality.
Ya,that was one of the things I didn't like about the XL,no outside pockets.I will give Matt a call and hopefully order me a bag.

Thanks for the help.

Get the Trial QL instead. It's larger at 23 liters and has pockets on the outside.

10584-500x600.jpg

10586-500x600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: