Best Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on tank bags. On my FZ1 I used a large tank bag and when I used it on the FJR to find my handlebars are hitting the bag and depressing the hazard lights switch.

Any opinions on a better tank bag.

Thats like asking whats the best tire or best oil around here. The answer depends on your preferences, budget etc.

For instance I only use my tank bag for longer trips/overnights etc. Not a daily use item. So I like space. I don't mind the occasional interference with handlebars if I get more volume.

I use the Nelson-Rigg CL350. One big main compartment(expandable) and two smaller side ones. Comes with a good rain cover and strong magnets. It is a little on the large size (never used the expansion feature) but it meets my needs fine. Well made product too.

Good luck with your search.

Lots of options to choose from. You do have to be careful with placement so you don't end up honking the horn all the time! I have two (Engage XL & Vina) from Twisted Throttle Bags-Connection line. They mount on a gas cap ring and mostly hold the bag off the tank to protect from scuffing. Expensive, but well made and are simple on / off.

Have fun with the search!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
There's lots of good ones, but the previous owner gave me a 'Bags Connection' Trial QL bag, and there's no way I'll go back to my old ones or anything else.

It mounts on a little ring that installs on the gas tank ring and it locks on there, and you pull a little cord on the bag to release the connectin, they have a firm bottom and that bag sits perfect and flush on the FJR, does not touch your paint at all, and the quality of the bag is top notch, lots of expandability. They're pricey but if I had to spend my own money on it I would now that I have one.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2624/451/

edit: ^ What he said ^ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's lots of good ones, but the previous owner gave me a 'Bags Connection' Trial QL bag, and there's no way I'll go back to my old ones or anything else.

It mounts on a little ring that installs on the gas tank ring and it locks on there, and you pull a little cord on the bag to release the connectin, they have a firm bottom and that bag sits perfect and flush on the FJR, does not touch your paint at all, and the quality of the bag is top notch, lots of expandability. They're pricey but if I had to spend my own money on it I would now that I have one.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2624/451/

edit: ^ What he said ^ :)
I've been using one of the Joe Rocket Manta bags for a short time now and for a magnetic its a good deal and setup fo the price. If I keep it for any legnth of time I will be installing a Tankslapper which I'm sure I will do anyway. Have been seriously considering one of those quick lock types since I heard about them so the Manta will go up for sale if/when I decide to swap over.

This is what I use and love it.

DayPack II

It holds my Mix It amp, my I-Pod, my bluetooth dongle, a two outlet charger for usb, and miscellaneous other things while still collapsed. It can be unzipped to become bigger but never do it. The electric connection is the cleanest I have seen, and one pull of a string unlocks it for gassing up, no unplugging a bunch of stuff. It does not touch the tank and I love it.

Not cheap but is well worth the cost and has been great. Comes with a rain cover but I have never used it and it stays dry in most of the reasonable rain I have been through.

citytankbag001.jpg

citytankbag004.jpg

citytankbag003.jpg

Like some of the others I love the SW Motech tank bags. I have the City tankbag and the daypack II. Great quality bags. Plus they never touch the paint.

Have had the same one as VTFJR13 [bags Con. "CITY"] since '08 have been very pleased with it in general, love the mount system, side pockets are a bit skosh [good for paper items: reciepts, $$, performance awards, etc.], ...one mod during my first trip w/it, stopped at an upholstery shop and had a large snap added where the velcro is for the rear map case attachment, the velcro wasn't adequate and passing Semis would suck it loose and flop it forward over my gauges, ...no worries since the mod.

Looking for opinions on tank bags. On my FZ1 I used a large tank bag and when I used it on the FJR to find my handlebars are hitting the bag and depressing the hazard lights switch.

I 2nd the Cortech Super 10 Tank Bag, perfect for me!

I am not fond of magnetic tank bags because of the scratches caused by road dust that collects between the tank and the bag. Also, my buddy who has a 2011 FJR has a nice dent on his tank from a magnetic bag that slapped the tank too hard as a result of the magnets. I personally have used a Bagster system on my last two bikes and couldn't be happier. When I sold my last bike my tank looked showroom perfect.

I am not fond of magnetic tank bags because of the scratches caused by road dust that collects between the tank and the bag. Also, my buddy who has a 2011 FJR has a nice dent on his tank from a magnetic bag that slapped the tank too hard as a result of the magnets. I personally have used a Bagster system on my last two bikes and couldn't be happier. When I sold my last bike my tank looked showroom perfect.
The Cortech super 10 comes in two flavors, magnetic of strap mount. I haven't had a problem with the magnetic version I use, and believe that if you keep the tank clean, the bottom of the magnetic bag is very soft, and shouldn't leave scratches. However, care is needed in anything you use. I would think a strap mount attachment would have the same issue as a magnetic bag. As for a dent from the magnet, I had it on at over 125 mph, and it didn't move one bit. I love it. YMMV

I have a 10+ year old Marsee magnetic that has proven to be indestructible. It's probably 6 inches tall but unzips to expand to probably 10" or so and has a built-in compression strap to cinch down the bag when expanded to keep it from being too large. Has a map pocket on top..it's practically perfect and I can't wear it out. Strangely, I've had two random strangers/riders approach me with offers to buy it.

I've had good luck with Cortech(tourmaster) saddlebags with my previous two bikes. If I needed to replace the Marsee with a different brand, that would probably be it. I like the Cortech Mini Tank Bag, it looks very similar in size and features to my Marsee.

BTW, I've never had any problem with paint scratching with my magnetic tank bags. Just my $.02