Am I Spoiled by the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road_Runner

Accelerati Incredibilus
Reaction score
Rolled into my local Honda/Yamaha/Polaris shop a few weeks ago and lo-and-behold they had a Victory ride program going on. Got an opportunity ride a Victory Cross-Country. I thought that I would like it, but turns out I was completely underwhelmed by it, and was happy to hop back on the FJR.

Maybe it had something to do with a riding buddy of mine who recently had to have his air cooled bike's top end rebuilt at 70K, but I was just not diggin' the sounds of the pushrod motor.

Maybe if I could get it out on the open road and open it up....

You are spoiled by the FJR, as am I. The FJR is the first vehicle that I have owned that has kept me satisfied for any length of time. I have been out numerous times and looked at the latest and greatest bikes and there are many nice ones with huge sticker prices. The FJR just does so many things well, is affordable to own and fun to ride. I’ve had mine now for 34,000 trouble free miles and I can’t imagine getting rid of it anytime soon. It’s just getting broken in and seems to get smoother with age.

I know what you mean. I too have had many bike and most never last past a year or two till I want something else, but not the FJR. I still want other bikes but I want to keep the FJR. If I can only have one it is going to be an FJR.

Yeah, the FJR made me realize that I am NOT a cruiser guy. I will never own another cruiser. I've ridden a few since buying my FJR, and like you, I was woefully underwhelmed. Now, an adventure bike......that's a different story.
rolleyes.gif

When I bought my '06 AE as a leftover in '08, I took it back to the dealer for some recall/warranty work about a month later, and they let let me take out a Victory Vision Tour for several hours.

I mentioned at the time that this bike was singularly unimpressive, except at the gas station where every soccer mom within sight distance wanted to chat me up. Coming down the interstate on-ramps I would thrash it through four gears to merge with the 80 mph traffic, and would not yet be at 80 mph when I got to the merge point. It was disappointing.

I think the only cruiser than can keep up with an FJR is the Rocket III Touring, and with its extra 225 pounds of weight, its not really keeping up when the going gets more exciting.

i know i am TOTALLY spoiled by my FJR. it does everything with excelence. i drove a DL1K for 3 years, and i have gotten more looks, honks, and complements with the FJR in 2 months of ownership.

i'm not a cruiser guy, and i don't ride dirt hardly at all, so i'm perfectly satisfied with her, and will keep her for a LOOOOOONG time.

P.

The FJR does spoil you. After so many miles on the Feej, (162k), it was really hard to move to something else, (Super Tenere). The S10 is fun, but I miss the smooth power, better weather protection, adjustable screen, more uniform, (and better avg), gas mileage and the all day comfort of a bike fully dialed in for my needs.

After 11k on the S10 now, I have made some changes and am more comfortable with it, but it will never have the power and smoothness of the FJR. What it does have is more ground clearance for my off pavement adventures and for a bike almost as heavy, it's very tossable and easier to maneuver at low speeds over uneven ground. Part of that is the wider bars and longer lock to lock steering area.

Every bike has it's flavor. The Big Dog I also own just doesn't do if for me, in part because of the FJR. I thought I'd enjoy the slower rides at a different pace and flavor, but not really. The cornering limits are so low before stuff drags that it's hard to adjust to it's limitations. It's been on consignment at a local place since last August though, with only one low ball offer. :(

The FJR does spoil you. After so many miles on the Feej, (162k), it was really hard to move to something else, (Super Tenere). The S10 is fun, but I miss the smooth power, better weather protection, adjustable screen, more uniform, (and better avg), gas mileage and the all day comfort of a bike fully dialed in for my needs.

After 11k on the S10 now, I have made some changes and am more comfortable with it, but it will never have the power and smoothness of the FJR. What it does have is more ground clearance for my off pavement adventures and for a bike almost as heavy, it's very tossable and easier to maneuver at low speeds over uneven ground. Part of that is the wider bars and longer lock to lock steering area.

Every bike has it's flavor. The Big Dog I also own just doesn't do if for me, in part because of the FJR. I thought I'd enjoy the slower rides at a different pace and flavor, but not really. The cornering limits are so low before stuff drags that it's hard to adjust to it's limitations. It's been on consignment at a local place since last August though, with only one low ball offer. :(

Sounds like you will return to the fold. Maybe Dennis wants to trade his FJR for the Big Dog. He has V-twin blood in him. :D

Sounds like you will return to the fold. Maybe Dennis wants to trade his FJR for the Big Dog. He has V-twin blood in him. :D
I like the S10, but wouldn't mind a FJR rally bike for the '13 IBR. Strait across, I'd jump all over that deal in a hot second. However, it doesn't solve the problem both Dennis and I share, wanting the cash to pay for other things. :huh:

I like the S10, but wouldn't mind a FJR rally bike for the '13 IBR. Strait across, I'd jump all over that deal in a hot second. However, it doesn't solve the problem both Dennis and I share, wanting the cash to pay for other things. :huh:
Like food...

Like food...
I know what you mean. I have a grand total of 2.5 hours of chargeable time since the first of December. Already sold some tools and a couple guns. :angry:

No kidding. I'm gonna have to get a real job shortly. Selling the contents of the gun safe, and the safe now. It is what it is.

I too have demo'd many bikes, harleys, victorys, ninja 1000, connie, versys, tiger 800, bmws r1200 gs, r1200r, you get the picture but the fjr has been a great bike and with 105k miles it just seems to run better and better. I do wish it was lighter and had cruise control but then it would be perfect.

I too have demo'd many bikes, harleys, victorys, ninja 1000, connie, versys, tiger 800, bmws r1200 gs, r1200r, you get the picture but the fjr has been a great bike and with 105k miles it just seems to run better and better. I do wish it was lighter and had cruise control but then it would be perfect.
Hope I can also make it to some of the high mileages some of you folks have racked up without feeling the need for something else. I had better stay away from the BMW dealeer where the K1600GTL lurks. I can't see spending like $22K on a cycle anyway no matter how good it is.

I have to agree with most everything people have said. I rode my Boss' Electroglide when he bought it new last year. Underwhelmed is an understatement and at least $10K more with my basic farkels. Yes, it ain't no Harley and I'm damn glad it's not. I think the FJR handles well, is more than adequate powered (really if you need more you need to go somewhere else:), I feel it's much better looking than the C14, and the ST. Does the FJ have minor problems? of course, we bitch all the time about things that should be more adjustable, come stock, or better engineered after years of refinement.

Bottom line with me is: My FJR is the most dependable, lowest cost large bike I could probably own. I hope eventually Yamaha redesigns this bike but doesn't ever see it as something they can kill off due to sales. I really enjoy having something that not every dude rolling by says; "was that the new Harley, or was it a Victory, or some other metric cruiser.

You most definitely did the right thing by coming back. : )

IMG_0334.jpg

Cruise control, that's the only item on my Boss' Electroglide I'm jealous of. :)

Cruise control, that's the only item on my Boss' Electroglide I'm jealous of. :)
Gerry, that basic black is just shit-hot man. If my 06 wasnt the fastest color blue Id have to go shopping again. Every bike I've owned until now was black. Just the way it always ended up for reasons only the Gods know. Blessed again, the blue is a grin so will stick with it. Runner, if anyone here isnt spoiled by our respective scoots, they oughtta be. Its like the saying- if we have to explain, they wouldnt understand. The Yamma-hammer folks broke the mold with the FJR. It does so much so well. Dont plan on letting go of mine anytime soon at all. Now if I could just get another '85 VF1100S back in the stable. Just cant get that v-4 outta my noggin either, for some odd reason.

I like my FJR the best of my bikes. I picked up a 2008 Venture a week ago and will find out if I am a "cruiser guy". Selling the GL1500 which just seemed to get more and more boat like probably because my standard of acceptance was raised by more and more miles on the FJR.

Would really like Yamaha to update the FJR with maybe a version that is more friendly to the passenger. I got the venture because the wife won't do X-country on the FJR.

IMHO the FJR is the best do everything bike out there if you don't need a giant dirt bike.