Am I Spoiled by the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish someday to be spoiled by the fjr.
rolleyes.gif
just pick one out and buy it...lots to choose from, in many price ranges

I wish someday to be spoiled by the fjr.
rolleyes.gif
just pick one out and buy it...lots to choose from, in many price ranges
Going to try and do just that. Have been lurking for awhile and trying to learn about FJRs. I have a feeling I may have to wait until its Spring before I find one being in the northeast. If I haven't found one by the time Yamaha/Star brings there trailer to town with new bikes to demo ride I might have a tough decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely spoiled by my FJR. I've only had mine for about 7 months, but I'm coming from an R1 and a long history of riding nothing but 600 and liter supersports. I'm a former track-a-holic so I had some reservations about the FJR in terms of performance. Would it be enough to keep me happy? How about the braking? In a one word answer, YES, the FJR makes me sooooooo glad that I switched. While I love the sheer outright performance of the liter supersports I've owned and ridden over the years, I believe I'm a dedicated sport-touring guy from now on.

Mad German posted: <snip, snip> While I love the sheer outright performance of the liter supersports I've owned and ridden over the years, I believe I'm a dedicated sport-touring guy from now on.
See you at next year's Hooterville; it's in your backyard. Even the grandma group rides in a spirited manner.

My quote from that weekend: Special thanks to Steve, who demonstrated that even though the signs say "One Lane Bridge; Yield to Oncoming Traffic" ..... if you're going Mach 3, you can just ignore that shit.

My father, who is wise well beyond his 74 years, has a wonderful saying that he springs on me when the timing is right:

"Son, if everyone was the same, this would be one boring fucking place."

Some of my cruiser bike friends don't have a clue. They bought an image. They call themselves "riders", but they are really posers. They are enamored with the idea of riding, but when it comes down to it, they would rather kick tires and swing their pee pee. Not all are like this, but most are.

Most of my sportbike friends are the same way, too. After the 4th or 5th squid pose, they are basically done. That usually happens about 40 miles from home.

In each case, I would never call them out on it - they are still my friends and if I've learned anything in my 50 years, it's OK to agree to disagree.

I really think that in both cases, the design of the bike at least has some part in it. In order to enjoy quality time in any saddle, I think it is really important to try and distribute your weight fairly evenly between your hands, your arse, and your feet. If your day ride is going to include sustained speeds greater than 60 mph, then you also need sufficient wind protection to keep your helmet from buffeting, and your chest from getting blasted.

With regard to cruisers, the other thing that really bothers me is the fact that the riding position doesn't lend itself well to handling a quick evasive maneuver. You have so much weight on your arse that you simply cannot lift yourself off the seat to help ride through a surprise pot hole or object in the road. You have so little weight on your hands that you simply cannot countersteer yourself around a decreasing radius curve, a quick lane change, or the like. To compensate for that, you have to greatly slow down your riding to a "cruise" to give yourself more time for reaction in most of these situations.

But in the end, I've stated it many times before. It matters not to me what you ride. If you like it, and you will ride in a manner that doesn't try to kill me, I'll ride with ya for however long you want to go - 15 miles or 1500.

I had a sportbike back in the late 80s, when I was in my mid 20s. Went bikeless for a few years, and then went the cruiser route. Had a HD Roadking, followed by an 02 Ultra Classic, a 2010 Ultra Classic, and then a 2012 Goldwing.

Bought my 2014 FJR in December of '14.....put close to 19k on it the first year......

I have already been told by Mrs. Banker that I can buy another new bike in 2 years (part of her 5 year plan before I retire.....).

Unless Honda does something drastic with the Wing (ie....lighter, faster, more lean angle, and a more modern suspension), the next (and probably last) New Bike will be another FJR.

hppants posted a few thoughts, but this one called out for me to chime in:
With regard to cruisers, the other thing that really bothers me is the fact that the riding position [on a cruiser] doesn't lend itself well to handling a quick evasive maneuver. You have so much weight on your arse that you simply cannot lift yourself off the seat to help ride through a surprise pot hole or object in the road. You have so little weight on your hands that you simply cannot countersteer yourself around a decreasing radius curve, a quick lane change, or the like. To compensate for that, you have to greatly slow down your riding to a "cruise" to give yourself more time for reaction in most of these situations.
I really enjoyed my cruiser, and rode it on several 8- to 10-hour rides. The riding position was exactly as hppants stated: sitting on my ass in a La-Z-Boy. However, trying to ride spiritedly through the city or the north Georgia mountains led to scraping the hard parts under the floorboards. After one incident that lifted the back tire off the pavement, I retired the bike.

When I first started riding my FJR for longer than an hour, my back, shoulders, and wrists were in pain. After considerable research on the FJRForum, I learned about the Master Yoda Riding Position. MV Motorrad bar risers and the MYRP made my bike so much more comfortable that I could do 12 hours in the saddle before discomfort started setting in. A new Seat Concepts cover and a 50CC ride this spring will let me know if the 12-hour limit can be surpassed.

Ergonomics also helped me ride the bike better: shifting weight to the pegs, moving around on the seat for curves (still easy to do with the Seat Concepts), and relaxing my shoulders and arms.

..."Son, if everyone was the same, this would be one boring fucking place."
...and if I've learned anything in my 50 years, it's OK to agree to disagree.

...then you also need sufficient wind protection to keep your helmet from buffeting, and your chest from getting blasted..
Good saying. Colorful people make the world a more interesting place. And the way other cultures view motorcycles is intrigueing.

At age 52 I am understanding what your saying. Its ok to disagree without getting into a debate. Seems like more often than not its about what gear I'm wearing rather than the bikes we are riding. No helmet laws in PA and just in general motorcycles wear no gear at all and I try to wear as much as possible. Its like opening a can of worms
smile.png

I used to ride sport bikes and after awhile the air beating on me would take its toll. By the time I'd get home I felt beat up. And I was young when I was doing that. Now I'm riding a bike that has a large windshield and fairing. And have been enjoying going on demo rides to try other bikes. Have been loving it. But if the bikes have no shield it begins to wear on me just a bit. One thing that really stood out to me was the electric windshield on the FJR and how effective it was. Just wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is.

For over 10 years I rode a ZX-11. loved the bike but wanted something with more comfort. Bought a used K1200rs and could not get used to the quirky nature. Stuff breaking. I bought a new 09 FJR and put 43,000 miles on it over the next five years. Zero problems. Dealer made me a deal on a 14 FJR that I couldn't pass up. I love the cruise control, fly by wire, and everything else about the bike. Only other thing I would add is self canceling turn signals. I do like the slipper clutch on the 16, but love my 5 speed transmission. I have added GYTR exhaust, V Stream windscreen, bar ends, sliders, Corbin seat, red side panels, and risers. The most dressed up bike I have ever owned. I guess I will be keeping it for a while.

Some of my cruiser bike friends don't have a clue. They bought an image. They call themselves "riders", but they are really posers. They are enamored with the idea of riding, but when it comes down to it, they would rather kick tires and swing their pee pee. Not all are like this, but most are.
Most of my sportbike friends are the same way, too. After the 4th or 5th squid pose, they are basically done. That usually happens about 40 miles from home.

In each case, I would never call them out on it - they are still my friends and if I've learned anything in my 50 years, it's OK to agree to disagree.
What Pants says is true. I regularly peruse the bikes for-sale-by-owner on Craigs List just to stay on top of the market. What I see are scads of cruisers - mostly H-D but plenty of the Asian variety - for sale with very, very low miles - 2,000 and less per year. Some 1,000 or less - four poker runs annually. Are these owners really "bikers" or even "riders"? I suppose so since they are probably in the majority. What's really interesting is that they've spent far more on bling than they ever spent on riding. Stage I, II, III, intakes and pipes, fuel modulators, seats, bars, custom paint, chrome flaming eagle skull geegaws... $4,000-$8,000 in "upgrades." "Never been ridden in the rain" is a common selling come-on. It also seems that the depreciation and market supply-and-demand realities have come home to roost where pricing is concerned. Some are asking wishful-thinking prices, others are more realistic. Sport bikes are about the same - 1,000-2,000 per year. All have fender eliminator kits, aftermarket LED turn signals, most with after-market pipes, some with bling lighting... These have often been damaged. It would seem not enough riding to sharpen the skills compounded with boneheadedness. I'm not condemning, just wondering at the decision making process employed when the bike was purchased and all the money spent. There are also plentiful true dirt bikes - not street legal - of various ages and conditions. On the other hand, most touring, ST and some ADV bikes have been ridden hard and put away wet: 10,000 miles or more per year, though there are rare exceptions as we all know. I bought an '05 FJR one year ago with 9,000 miles on it - about 1,000 annually. My own '03 1000 V-Strom has less than 30,000 miles - about 2,500 annually. Dealers are telling me "sport bikes are dead; cruisers, touring and STs are slow, ADV and dual sport are hot; quads are slow-to-dead, side-by-sides are hot." Anyway, there are real riders (check their odometers) but I believe there are far more posers in (almost) all motorcycle categories.

By the way, I came to FJRs in '03 after four years on an XX Blackbird: 24,000 miles, just 6,000 per year. Since then have been doing 10-14K per year, all recreational. The switch to an ST - and the additional miles - coincided with The Boy leaving home.

I only got my 05 10+ years , I have a little over 80.000 KM's on it. I think i'll keep it another ten years and put a few more kilometers on it then i'll make up my mind but I think its a keeper !!

I'm really hoping my heirs sell the Feej when they liquidate my pitiful estate. All my toys are paid for and I don't see anything about new ones that makes me want to get into debt. Days the Feej feels to heavy I hop on my little 250 sport bike wanna be and carve up the back roads. When the time comes it's just too heavy to ride at all I'll drain and prep for static display and make vroom vroom noises :) .

Picked up a new battery at the stealer Friday. Wasn't even tempted to look at anything on the showroom except the used 07 Feej in the same black cherry as my first one. Don't need two but it was a nice reminder.

I've put about 2000 miles now on my new to me fjr and even though its a gen 1 its still a great bike. I also own a 2010 vmax but other than power the fjr is a much more well rounded motorcycle. the max has been spending a lot of garage time lately. lol the vmax power is intoxicating but the 60 to 80 miles to reserve depending on how you ride is a pain in the ass at times.

I'm spoiled by the FJR's ability to seat me comfortably for 10-12 hours in a row. (Maybe longer now, with the Seat Concepts saddle.) Those street bikes look awfully sexy, but I don't think I could sit on them for more than 90 minutes before getting sore in my back, shoulders, and wrists.

And with the bags off, the FJR looks pretty hot, too.

Spoiled could describe it, but really I would say the FJR opened my eyes. I rode a cruiser for years

and enjoyed it. Went for short day rides, long multi-day camping trips. They were all fun. Even took it to the Dragon and similar roads. I always had fun.

Then came the FJR. It's a better bike and it made me a better rider. I love the things I can do on this bike that a cruiser will not do.

I still have the cruiser and still ride it from time to time. It's a good bike for certain types of

rides here in hot, flat, sunny Florida.

Now if I had to choose............well I guess I am spoiled by the FJR.

Good morning everyone.,

To begin with, I'm an old fart. I've had 27 motorcycles in my riding history. In '06 I bought a used '05 FJR. I loved it, found only one thing about it I didn't like, Heat on the feet. Unfortunately I had/have tendon issues in my left elbow and all the clutching was killing me so the FJR went away for something with cruise control. Sad, sad day. Next wednesday I will take possession of my new to me, 2015 FJR1300ES. Cruise control brought me back into the fold. I can't be much happier. No bike I've had made me want to go back to her like the FJR. Yes, she is my lady and as they say "Ride it like you stole it". Now, I just need to meet a lady that wants to two up tour with me. Keep the rubber on the road my friends.

Horsefly

P.S. In a previous life I was an EMT so during group rides I was always the tailgunner. My FJR was great for rapid, safe responses regarldess of the road.