I Though your bike was a BMW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not a Biker

Reaction score
I was just asked last week by a guy , Riding a V STAR if my bike was a BMW. I Ride a FJR

he said he had just got his bike from Yamaha Dealer .so i went down to the dealer and found out why no one ever rides FJR"s the FJR was stuffed in the back of the Dealer 2010 with no bags on it . been sitting for 2 years

How are people to find out about FJR if the dealers wont tell riders about them I am very Diss,,Apointed

Not so sure of what to expect from the dealer. Mostly though, it's not really their responsibility to promote a bike. Wouldn't that be the Manufacturers job?

The dealer will sell what people ask for. If no one asks for the bike, should the dealer buy a ton of them and put them right out in front of all the bikes that are selling? It's a business, and that's not a good business decision is it?

Last year, some friends and I rode to the Laughlin River Run. A couple weeks before, I got a an email from Yamaha about their demo truck being there and the FZ8, S10, and FJR being available for demos along with a bunch of their cruisers.

We got there on Thursday afternoon, but by the time we got to the Yammi trailer, they were getting ready to leave and told us to come back in the morning. All the bikes were still out, including the FJR, FZ8, and S10.

In the morning, I signed up and requested to ride the FZ8 but was told the manager of that group decided this was a cruiser rally, didn't want to cause any friction, and decided the FJR and FZ8 needed to stay in the trailer.

I talked to that guy for probably 30 minutes trying to convince him that people there rode bikes other than cruisers. I even pointed out to him that he needed to do something different as his cruisers were sitting and Victory, next door, had already taken out 2 full groups. I told him it was no wonder people think I ride a BMW.

He wouldn't listen to any of it, so I rode an S10 and a Raider or something that I would never buy. The S10 is not a cruiser, but that being Yamaha's new baby, I bet they woulda had his ass if it wasn't out. Apparently they put all the bikes out the next day, but I never did get my test ride.

I called Yamaha when I got home and bitched to a really nice guy, but there wasn't a lot he could do at that point. Obviously, lack of FJR sales is a manufacturer issue...Not just a dealer issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Zilla, thanks for weighing in on this one. Good info.

The dealer:

Betcha two things: at one time that FJR was out on the showroom floor and it seemed nobody was interested in it. Second: that showroom floor isn't very big... the dealer has to make a choice every month as to which bikes ought to be on display.

There are basically three flavors of streetbikes. Cruisers, crotch rockets, and rolling couches (touring bikes). The FJR is "none of the above." It's a mixture of two bikes: a hybrid. It's not as good at sport biking as a 200 pound lighter crotch rocket. It's not as good at touring as a 200 pound heavier touring bike. With no cruise control or the ability to pull 90 mph wheelies, it's not as crotch as the rockets or as couchie as the rolling couches. Therefore it won't be as popular as a Gold Wing or a Gixxer. Check the sales numbers and you'll see.

However (before I get assassinated by FJR loyalists) it excels at a lot of things. It handles REALLY well, and it's got some serious power due to the fact that it's lighter than a couch. And it can put away a lot of reliable comfortable miles on any slab, unlike it's lightweight crotchity cousins. We think it's the best possible compromise between both worlds that money can buy.

The dealers only know that it doesn't sell in the numbers they'd like, and showroom space is at a premium. Net result? We win. It's not too hard to find a brand new 2010 in the back of some dealer... for a nice discount if yer willing to look around.

Gary

darksider #44

Well I have a pretty good idea why my FJR never attracted any attention at the dealer: it was still in the crate! I didn't even know they had one in stock even though I visited the store and browsed around.

I found out about it when talking to the salesman at the Honda store 40 miles away (they have the same ownership). I was looking at the NT700V and the ST1300 but mentioned that I was concerned about the heat issues with the ST1300 and was considering an FJR. He thought the other dealer had an FJR in the crate.

Of course they never had any interest in the FJR since it wasn't even assembled! :(

I did get a test ride (two actually) at another dealer who had the Yamaha demo days. That sold me.

Ken

Not so sure of what to expect from the dealer. Mostly though, it's not really their responsibility to promote a bike. Wouldn't that be the Manufacturers job?

The dealer will sell what people ask for. If no one asks for the bike, should the dealer buy a ton of them and put them right out in front of all the bikes that are selling? It's a business, and that's not a good business decision is it?

Zactly. The midwest is Cruiser Country. I'm not sure I would do it any differently if I owned a dealership in the midwest and actually wanted to turn a profit.

I am not sure this relates directly but our family was in the car dealership business for 98 years. If we had a car sitting for very long with no interest we would do our damndest to get it out there and promote the heck out of it. Remember that the dealers are paying interest on that note every month and if it sits 90 days....they have lost all their profit into interest payments. So it doesnt behoove them to leave one crated up or hidden; that is poor business. Our competitor tried selling four wheelers along with cars. He was so arrogant and stubborn that he wouldnt even sell his two and three year old wheelers STILL IN THE CRATE at a discount. People would continually come in and ask about them and he would blow them off. He STILL wanted brand new prices. Last I heard they were still stacked in crates in the back of his shop five years later. Sure did him a lot of good didnt they? We would move all our cars around once a week and make them look fresh. We would continually wash them and park them different. If some werent moving we would park them right out front where people would notice them. That was just smart business. Motorcycles and cars is a terrible awful cutthroat business. You have to really work hard to stay in business. How many moto dealerships have closed in the last three years? Maybe they should change tactics!! Rant done....

Last year, some friends and I rode to the Laughlin River Run. A couple weeks before, I got a an email from Yamaha about their demo truck being there and the FZ8, S10, and FJR being available for demos along with a bunch of their cruisers.

We got there on Thursday afternoon, but by the time we got to the Yammi trailer, they were getting ready to leave and told us to come back in the morning. All the bikes were still out, including the FJR, FZ8, and S10.

In the morning, I signed up and requested to ride the FZ8 but was told the manager of that group decided this was a cruiser rally, didn't want to cause any friction, and decided the FJR and FZ8 needed to stay in the trailer.

I talked to that guy for probably 30 minutes trying to convince him that people there rode bikes other than cruisers. I even pointed out to him that he needed to do something different as his cruisers were sitting and Victory, next door, had already taken out 2 full groups. I told him it was no wonder people think I ride a BMW.

He wouldn't listen to any of it, so I rode an S10 and a Raider or something that I would never buy. The S10 is not a cruiser, but that being Yamaha's new baby, I bet they woulda had his ass if it wasn't out. Apparently they put all the bikes out the next day, but I never did get my test ride.

I called Yamaha when I got home and bitched to a really nice guy, but there wasn't a lot he could do at that point. Obviously, lack of FJR sales is a manufacturer issue...Not just a dealer issue.

So they truck their new bikes all over the country and then not let people ride them because they aren't the right type of bike for the event?!!! WTF? That's one of the few reasons I go to those silly things is for the demos. Idiots.

My dealer is Adventure Motorsports located in Monroe, WA and has had at least one FJR displayed prominently every time I am in the shop. Parked right at the top of the Yamaha line with the sport bikes. Owner is a big fan of the FJR and the Service Tech who works on it is also. Of the 4 dealerships I shopped at, Adventure Motorsports was by far the most knowledgable about the bike and what it is and isn't. I had already decided on the FJR and they still took the time to ask about my prior experience and what I was looking for in a bike and how the FJR fit those needs. In my case the fit is excellent and I haven't regretted a single moment of the 12000+ miles I've put on it since June of 2010.

well, that's fooked up for sure.... That manager is not much of a friggin' salesman.

I was just asked last week by a guy , Riding a V STAR if my bike was a BMW. I Ride a FJR

he said he had just got his bike from Yamaha Dealer .so i went down to the dealer and found out why no one ever rides FJR"s the FJR was stuffed in the back of the Dealer 2010 with no bags on it . been sitting for 2 years

How are people to find out about FJR if the dealers wont tell riders about them I am very Diss,,Apointed
You know, it's not a big seller, never has been. Mine in May of 2008 was the only one on the showroom floor. When they sold it to me they didn't get another one. Those damn cruiser bikes sell 20:1 or more. Just my guess really but look around, I rarely see sport tourers compared to Harley wannabees. Go to Canada for instance and it flips. ST's are appreciated but they tend to actually ride instead of take it 4 mi. to Starbucks and gawk at it. I've had many people ask if my FJ is a BMW. Black paint I think. :)

So, if something doesn't sell it will be relegated to the back of the store and save showroom space for Star's and ATV's and waverunners, you name it and it will get more billing than the FJR.

I too have been asked if my FJR (blue) was a BMW. I think it's because they notice that sports-turing bikes have their own distictive size and shape, compaired other bikes. And BMW has been building STs longer than anyone else.

well im going to sturgis this summer with my FJR and my 1 wheeled trailer . I know it will stand out i just want to see what the big deal is about this place getting drunk and riding mortorcycles is NOT my thing :unsure:

:p

I recommend you go about a month or two before the rally. Hotels are available and less than a third the price, roads aren't snarled with additional traffic, and the area is actually enjoyable.

well im going to sturgis this summer with my FJR and my 1 wheeled trailer . I just want to see what the big deal is about this place getting drunk and riding mortorcycles is NOT my thing :unsure:

:p
You can be sure that there will be more than enough other people getting drunk and riding motorcycles to make up for your good judgment. There are an average of four or five fatal wrecks each year at Sturgis and some years a good many more than that. If you go, you definitely want to ride defensively at all times.

It's a great area, but as others have suggested, the time to visit is NOT during the Sturgis Rally.

Latest posts