I Though your bike was a BMW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just asked last week by a guy , Riding a V STAR if my bike was a BMW. I Ride a FJR

he said he had just got his bike from Yamaha Dealer .so i went down to the dealer and found out why no one ever rides FJR"s the FJR was stuffed in the back of the Dealer 2010 with no bags on it . been sitting for 2 years

How are people to find out about FJR if the dealers wont tell riders about them I am very Diss,,Apointed
Yep, being an '08 (black) it get that quite often, BMW?

Yep, I ran into the same issue when I was looking into the FJR. The dealer had one only on the sales floor and I asked to have him go over the bike with me and show me the features. He asked if I was going to buy it today. I said I know nothing about them and would like to get some info. I asked if he could bring the key to me so I could look it over, etc. He finally came with the key but said there is no battery in it as they don't put them in until they sell. He was not very helpful and when I asked what year it was he said it was a 2010 and it is $15,000. I asked about accessories and he showed me a picture in the book and was looking up the price. He came back with a price of $995 for the trunk plus the plate to attach it. I then pointed out to him that the trunk is listed in the book I have in my hand for $695.

I bought used and will not go to that dealer for anything. In fact I rode 35 miles South to another dealer to have the major service done on the bike.

You know i just put a new tire on this morning on my FJR it was the michelin road pilot 2 it works Great ,140 on a 2 lane little bit of fun when no one is around This is the Fastest and safest mike i have ever owned :yahoo: ;)

Hmm. Sturgis.

Time to get the 150k mile Ultra for a ride?

...wish I had time, but have no desire to see 'Sturgis' during 'bike week'.

Really.

I've heard that if you go to Sturgis the week or two before, it is the same thing without the crowds. Never been there though, so I have no idea if that's true.

Last year, some friends and I rode to the Laughlin River Run. A couple weeks before, I got a an email from Yamaha about their demo truck being there and the FZ8, S10, and FJR being available for demos along with a bunch of their cruisers.

We got there on Thursday afternoon, but by the time we got to the Yammi trailer, they were getting ready to leave and told us to come back in the morning. All the bikes were still out, including the FJR, FZ8, and S10.

In the morning, I signed up and requested to ride the FZ8 but was told the manager of that group decided this was a cruiser rally, didn't want to cause any friction, and decided the FJR and FZ8 needed to stay in the trailer.

I talked to that guy for probably 30 minutes trying to convince him that people there rode bikes other than cruisers. I even pointed out to him that he needed to do something different as his cruisers were sitting and Victory, next door, had already taken out 2 full groups. I told him it was no wonder people think I ride a BMW.

He wouldn't listen to any of it, so I rode an S10 and a Raider or something that I would never buy. The S10 is not a cruiser, but that being Yamaha's new baby, I bet they woulda had his ass if it wasn't out. Apparently they put all the bikes out the next day, but I never did get my test ride.

I called Yamaha when I got home and bitched to a really nice guy, but there wasn't a lot he could do at that point. Obviously, lack of FJR sales is a manufacturer issue...Not just a dealer issue.
Ah yes the Laughlin run, glad I don't live there anymore!! The whole "Cruiser" thing is lost on me. I have ridden them, they are nice but just not my speed. To each their own but the FJR and other bikes "Hiding out" in the back of the showroom bothers me too. I get people all the time..."What kind of bike is that? It's beautiful." When I say "Yamaha FJR" I usually get the look of wonder and a nod. "Really? Thats a Yamaha?" Yep.... and to think when I test rode mine I had to call a day ahead so they could "dig" it out of the back.

Having said that I walked into a little shop down the street from my house day before yesterday and right inside the door was a V-Star, an Aprilia RSV4, a CBR1000 and a brand new FJR. All right up front, good on them!

I've heard that if you go to Sturgis the week or two before, it is the same thing without the crowds. Never been there though, so I have no idea if that's true.
Man I'l pass, Laughlin and Bullhead city used to be nuts during the run when I lived there 16 years ago, and of course that run is pretty small compared to Sturgis. I'm good, I hate crowds, especially in my old age. LOL

2 weeks before the 60th it was relatively clear of clowns and pirates. some vendors were already selling t-shirts. in and out of Mt. Rushmore and various national parks/historical sites was only hampered by RVs running at -10 instead of hoards of cruisers running at -30. I had found a motel in Murdo (140 miles east of Rapid City) the night before but it was the last room in the little town, $60 a night, and a pit. I've stayed in $25/night flea bags (Et Mar in Portsmouth, OH) that were cleaner.

Hotel rates were already going up in closer-in places but that was where I needed to stop for the night for safety reasons. It also staged me for a national parks run the next day (Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Caves, Custer, Badlands, Devils Tower, Little Bighorn, etc.).

But the traffic at that time (in areas outside of Rapid City at least) weren't significantly different than the rest of the tourist season.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weeks before the 60th it was relatively clear of clowns and pirates. some vendors were already selling t-shirts. in and out of Mt. Rushmore and various national parks/historical sites was only hampered by RVs running at -10 instead of hoards of cruisers running at -30. I had found a motel in Murdo (140 miles east of Rapid City) the night before but it was the last room in the little town, $60 a night, and a pit. I've stayed in $25/night flea bags (Et Mar in Portsmouth, OH) that were cleaner.

Hotel rates were already going up in closer-in places but that was where I needed to stop for the night for safety reasons. It also staged me for a national parks run the next day (Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Caves, Custer, Badlands, Devils Tower, Little Bighorn, etc.).

But the traffic at that time (in areas outside of Rapid City at least) weren't significantly different than the rest of the tourist season.
Am I reading your post right? Painted Desert and Petrified Forest are in Arizona, while the others are in South Dakota and Montana. You did all those in a single day? The shortest route I can see to hit all those is over 1500 miles. That must have been an epic ride!!!

I'm going to guess but the odds are you were at Obermeyer Yamaha.

Keith leaves the bags off becuase people climb on the bike and scratch them. The bike has a set of bags in the back.

I agree about it setting for two years but the cruisers are what sells.

I left cruisers after having my FJR for a couple years as a second bike.

Sold my Road Star and got a Tenere to go with my FJR.

Must say the FJR sits alot and may sell it someday.

Scooper