10 Gallon Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanqhar

Reaction score
Anyone using Penske shocks.

How easy to fit?

What are they like?

What are they like loaded, pillion and luggage etc?

building a IBA legal (as of the 2013 rules)for Riding Guy( thanks Kiel)10 gallon capacity ,and no rear hump .It took a lot of thought and work to get it figured out to hold this much ,and still have the same rear angle(trade secret).Here are a couple of build shots and I am in the primer paint stage now ,so I will post those pics in a couple of days.The shot of the filler neck is with 10 gallons of water poured in ,right up to the new vent holes
DaveHembroftank001.jpg
davehembrofftank003.jpg
brojohnsanddavestank004.jpg
brojohnsanddavestank008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the fuel gauge float come up from the bottom a limited amount?

I'm wondering if the fuel level will be pegged on full for the first 4 gallons...

Does the fuel gauge float come up from the bottom a limited amount?

I'm wondering if the fuel level will be pegged on full for the first 4 gallons...
Yep , That's the way the float will work . So you fill up .hop on ,and ride and ride andride ,then finally the guage will start to come down.

The best of all worlds?

When the fuel gauge sender 'activates' you know pretty much how many miles remain.

I do the same thing with my aux tank - bleed it down to dry the rely on on-board info for remaining miles.

Very nice DT30!

My tank gets about 120 miles in before it comes off full. That is riding two up pulling the trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That fuel tank kind of looks like yours Brian, both tanks look great and would be extremely beneficial to have :)

My first thought was that the bars would hit,even with the risers, but they do clear. They don't have a lot of finger clearance, but that was discussed before hand. The cables just barely touch and just enough room for fingers. When I get it done I will throw it on my 06 to show what it looks like. Also if you go to you tube and click on the "dirttracker30" channel I actually have a short vid of it sitting on the bike .