LD riders and non Mod helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistrick

Reaction score
I love my Neotech Mod helmet except for the weight....I have 2 disc in my neck that are 50% worn and the extra weight compared to my RF1100 cause me a lot of discomfort..The RF11000 makes it hard to use a bite valve unless I remove the chin curtain and without it in place the helmet is to noisy...And then there is having to swap shields....Anybody else use a non mod for LD riding and how do u make it work fer u..

thanks

Dan

Something to think about ...

The non-modular aren't much lighter than modular. The neck issues may be worsened not so much by the weight of the helmet, but by the "uptilt" of your head, with your neck supporting it while riding.

It's just a thought.

I ride between 200 and 700 miles a day. Not LD compared to some but maybe for others. Anyway I wear a Aria Quantum II with a grey tint shield and carry a clear shield for riding at night. I wear foam ear plugs and I can use a bite value. It is hard to eat but I manage to much beef jerky on the go.

I have a RF1100 and a Schuberth C3. They seem about the same weight to me. I love the Modular helmet and now only wear the Shoei on short local rides.

Something to think about ...
The non-modular aren't much lighter than modular. The neck issues may be worsened not so much by the weight of the helmet, but by the "uptilt" of your head, with your neck supporting it while riding.

It's just a thought.
You may be on to something... the Helmet wasn't bothering at first...Just realized I recently switch to a new Darein jacket....Jacket seem to be the cause of t he problem....Helmet doesn't irritate unless i am wearing the jacket...Helmet is fine if I switch back to my old Olympia jacket I don't feel the like it crushing my neck into the shoulders...Jacket without the helmet seem make my neck un comfy weird...

Wistrick, I did a search at webbikeworld.com regarding helmet weight.

The RF1100 in size XL weighs 3lbs 13 5/8 oz.

The Neotec in size L weighs 3lbs 15 7/8 oz.

Although I could not find the exact weight of the Neotec in size XL I believe the weight differential would be minimal.

While I have no experience with the RF1100, I do ride with the Neotec and find that it is a well balanced helmet.

Balance and weight are important factors.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Although I could not find the exact weight of the Neotec in size XL I believe the weight differential would be minimal.

While I have no experience with the RF1100, I do ride with the Neotec and find that it is a well balanced helmet.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.
iI think the Neotech carries its weight a little more to the rear...If I pick both helmets up by the back they feel about the same, but pick them up from the chin bar the Neotech feel heavy.. I am lean toward the new jacket causing the issue. more than the helmet...

Thanks for that the replies... I am now leaning towards the Darein being a little narrow in the shoulders for me....Forces my shoulders to roll forward and make raising my head stretch my beck...I can tell a huge difference in comfort between my older Olympia Jacket and the new Darien....

Dan

The RF11000 makes it hard to use a bite valve . . . .
You might find an angled bite valve useful also.

Hydrapak+Surge+bite+valve.jpg

Does this jacket not fit you? Is it too tight or uncomfortable?

If that is your supposition I could see the jacket causing you to tense up, thus putting added stress or strain on your neck and shoulder muscles.

Does this jacket not fit you? Is it too tight or uncomfortable? If that is your supposition I could see the jacket causing you to tense up, thus putting added stress or strain on your neck and shoulder muscles.
I think the jacket is to tight across the shoulders

Does this jacket not fit you? Is it too tight or uncomfortable? If that is your supposition I could see the jacket causing you to tense up, thus putting added stress or strain on your neck and shoulder muscles.
I think the jacket is to tight across the shoulders
Try riding the Darian without the shoulder pads and see if that makes a difference.

I think the jacket is to tight across the shoulders..
Try riding the Darian without the shoulder pads and see if that makes a difference.
much better without back pad and shoulder pads...still feel some pulling though

I think the jacket is to tight across the shoulders..
much better without back pad and shoulder pads...still feel some pulling though
Sounds like you have answered your own question....and its time to send the jacket back to Aerostitch for alterations....or buy a bigger size.