Helmets - looking for a new one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont own one myself but have listened to and read some very positive reviews of this brand as well as by far not the most expensive either. Have a solid reputation as being one of the safest helmets out there and a interview I listened to with the owner/designer was very positive and enlightening. kalli helments and pod cast interview

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I've got an HJC FS-15, which is a "large", that's about ready to be replaced. Because of this subject, I looked at the FJ-17 (close out price about $159), and was impressed with the write up on it. Just wondered if their sizes are standard throughout their model lines, or if they differ from helmet style to helmet style. Anyone know? And, thanks in advance for the knowledge!

Well, years ago I purchased a nice Shoei and it fit really nicely. Best helmet I have ever worn. I went to buy a new helmet with my new FJR, since I am coming from the ADV world and tried a bunch of them on. Nolan did not fit my head at all, Arai totally sucked for me... Same with several other brands. In the end I ordered a new Shoei from Revzilla for $299 and once again, it fits really nice. I am very happy.

So, my advise is to get out try some on as they all do not fit the same. If you want to save money, once you know the brand and model, then start searching the internet. I have had very good luck with Revzilla, but you better be ready to act on their discounted models if they have the size you want, because it may not be there the next day.

I personally believe that the 10 minute per helmet trial in the store helps tremendously to sift out the brands that don't fit your head type. Once that is done, then in order of importance here is my criteria

1. Fit

2. Weight

3. Features

4. Price

Shoei seems to fit my cranium real well but I recently tried an Arai full helmet and wow!

I think it will be my next one as the fit and weight is wonderful.

I also personally believe that if a helmet that fits real well but is above your budget, all it takes is another month of saving or work some overtime and get what you want vs. settling for an inferior product and having buyers remorse .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Schuberth C3 with com intergrated which is just awesome for highway. For in city riding I use my BMW air flow open face helmet. Life is good! JP

Bell RS-1 with transition shield. Look for older graphics to get it for about $200, then add the shield. This has a great double neck roll, high quality material, transition shield is probably the greatest single thing I have every seen on a helmet - game changer for me. It has nice large pockets in the ear area to add speakers, etc. Removable liner. Very nice ventilation and still quiet (relative sense see reviews).
To top it off you can buy the breathbox/winter conversion double shield for a decent price for winter/rain.

I have been exceptionally happy with this helmet and have installed speakers...if anything almost too much space since I had to use both pads to get the speakers next to my ear. Also has very easy to remove cheek and upper liners, you can get different thickness cheek pads to get the fit where you want it. Also has the best shield removal / attach I've ever seen.

I tried out RF-1200, have a scorpion EX700 and a few others. Only think I liked better on the RF1200 was that it was a bit lighter.

Only real con I have on the RS-1 is that the seal on the standard (non winter) shields isn't quite perfect. I still use it during western Washington winters, but once and awhile I get an internal side of shield dribble.
I love the Bell helmets, RS1 and Star, and have had several. Unfortunately two of them have had to give up their lives in order to save mine but they've done the job. They're comfortable, have speaker pockets, and I've heard the transition shield is excellent though I'm too cheap to buy one. The most I've ever paid for any of them is $300, and as mentioned you can usually find the leftover designs on closeout for $200 or less through STG or other vendors.

Speaking of modulars, I will never ride with one after my first Bell Star saved my face from catastrophic damage. I highsided on a trip with Bugnatr after riding through some sand and I ended up going directly onto my faceshield - I can still remember seeing the asphalt rushing towards my eyes. If I'd had a modular on and left the shield open I'd probably look like something from a space alien movie right now. I'm nothing to look at as it is but having a jaw ripped off or missing all my teeth would not have helped....

I prefer modulars because at low speed and at stops, it's great to cool off or take a drink. When I do quick convenience store stops, no need to remove the helmet, just flip the bar up. Need to ask directions or help someone be a better driver, easy to do with a modular. No substitute. If you're going to ride around all the time with the chin bar up, no better than a 3/4 helmet. Sooner or later, I'm going to spring for a transition shield for the Bell.