Helmets - looking for a new one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revzilla.com does good video reviews. I have always had Arai helmets and loved them. Now I have my first Shoei - a Shoei Neotec. I tried it on first at the store.

I remember seeing (on Revzilla) a new help with an interior visor that did not come Down nearly far enough).

Thanks Gary
I have tried a bunch of helmets on. Unfortunately, 10 minutes in the store does not equate to 12 hours on the road. I don't wear glasses while riding and I need space for speakers but wear regular earplugs, no earbuds for music. With my last helmet, the initial fit felt great. After a few hours of riding, I ended out with some "hot" spots that became quite painful. I ended out "adjusting" the hard foam by compressing it slightly with the bowl of a spoon in a couple of places. I also changed to a thinner cheek pad.

I am willing to pay a modest amount more to buy from a "real" store instead of online (maybe 10%), but not 30%+. I think its unfair to use the local guys for fitting and then buying elsewhere.
You're right in what you said about "10 minutes in the store," however, for me - just a few minutes in the store ruled out a load of helmets. I don't care what size it says on the helmet. If it doesn't feel right in the store, it'll never work after several hours in the saddle. Once I found a couple that fit right, it was much easier to go back home to order what I wanted. Surprised me what you said about taking up someone's time at the store. Guess it was a little different for me. I didn't need a clerk, I just went around trying on helmets on my own. By buying online, I saved a small fortune. Even so, I learned that unless you try thing out, ya don't know. All of us have not only different size heads, they're different shapes and even our ears are located in very different places. I put on two different helmets that fit fine. One of them had ear "pockets" that were way off. Speakers placed in there wouldn't line up at all. I never would have known that had I not tried it on first. For me, it's all about fit. Oh by the way, congrats on your decision to look into modular. I've owned full face, open face, you name it... and I love my modular.

Gary

darksider #44

My comment on the local store - The local retailer provides me with the opportunity to try stuff and even ask questions, if I want. I would never buy on-line unless I knew exactly what I wanted and knew it would fit properly. I can only determine this by trying on a bunch of different helmets. If the local guy provides me with this opportunity, I will give him my business if he is reasonably fair about the pricing. It costs more to run a brick-and-mortar business than an internet sales business. As long as I'm not getting raped by the local guy, I'll pay for the service and for the ability to try before I buy. As I said, 10% is fair but 30% or more isn't.

I am liking the idea of the modular helmet. I haven't had one before but I think it will work for me if I can find one that is reasonably quiet, fits properly, has room for speakers and doesn't break the bank.

Hard to believe this discussion is going on - again (and again and again) :banghead: (the OPs remind me of women at a party who can't go to the washroom alone)

So everyone chimes in and guess what :

* everyone's head is a different shape

* everyone's pressure points are different

* everyone's owie tolerance is different

* everyone's noise perception is different

* you just have to buy it and ride it

* YRMV

Holy crap, Ross. It's a couple of hundred dollars. Take a chance. ( Your mother did :grin: )

Ps. I need tires. Whaddy'all think?

If you don't care for the discussion, don't read it!

Just trying to find what's out there in recent offerings from various manufacturers that people like (or dislike). Didn't know that the post was offensive!

I purchased a HJC symax 3 modular in high vis this spring, I retired my HJC 16 to be my snowmobile helmet I just added a heated shield to it. As far as the symax 3 is concerned I like the fit, I like the his vis and the modular is a great plus. It was a little snug at first by now after 1500 miles or so we are getting along just fine.

If you want any more info just pm me.

Jim

Hey Ross

A fellow Maritimer here. I have a HJC IS-Max BT which suits me fine in all areas except noise. I find it very noisy but to be fair to the helmet, on my previous bike a 1984 Venture any helmet was quiet due to the airflow pattern on that bike. On my FJR with the stock windshield and the touring one also, I can't find a space with the quiet air envelope the Venture had. It's a good thing the FJR exceeds the Venture in every category except helmet noise! So earplugs are a must for me with the FJR and IS-Max, I like the internal sunvisor although it could be a bit darker and being modular works great with eye glasses.

Good luck

Helmets can be easily north of 'a couple of hundred bucks'. A good helmet with good finish and low weight and has good functioning hardware and safety built in..... Those can be north of $500. That's a lot of money to just take a chance on in my checkbook. I would want to do as much research as possible too.

In the end, it does come down to personal preference and not everyone is the same. Some helmets are better than others though as far as quality.

IMHO

I purchased a HJC symax 3 modular in high vis this spring, I retired my HJC 16 to be my snowmobile helmet I just added a heated shield to it. As far as the symax 3 is concerned I like the fit, I like the his vis and the modular is a great plus. It was a little snug at first by now after 1500 miles or so we are getting along just fine.If you want any more info just pm me.

Jim
I liked the looks of the Symax - modular and built for a BT system. There is even a custom Chatterbox (for $$$) that fits it. Price is in the ballpark - mototcyclegear.com pricing is pretty good (You have to get them to mail you the pricing; I assume because of MAP (minimum advertised pricing) but you can get one for around $230.) Don't know how my Sena will fit. How noisy is it? Webbikeworld.com rates it pretty well.

Hey Ross
A fellow Maritimer here. I have a HJC IS-Max BT which suits me fine in all areas except noise. I find it very noisy but to be fair to the helmet, on my previous bike a 1984 Venture any helmet was quiet due to the airflow pattern on that bike. On my FJR with the stock windshield and the touring one also, I can't find a space with the quiet air envelope the Venture had. It's a good thing the FJR exceeds the Venture in every category except helmet noise! So earplugs are a must for me with the FJR and IS-Max, I like the internal sunvisor although it could be a bit darker and being modular works great with eye glasses.

Good luck
I also had a Venture, although a bit newer (2002, Second Gen). The wind noise on the FJR is greater for sure but after almost 6 years and 140,000 miles, I am still loving the bike. I have looked at the IS-MAX but haven't tried one yet. I am currently using an HJC IS-16 so I'm thinking the fit would be OK. The IS-MAX seems to have some pretty good ratings. The internal sunvisor on the IS-16 is fairly light as well but it is enough for me.

Helmets can be easily north of 'a couple of hundred bucks'. A good helmet with good finish and low weight and has good functioning hardware and safety built in..... Those can be north of $500. That's a lot of money to just take a chance on in my checkbook. I would want to do as much research as possible too. In the end, it does come down to personal preference and not everyone is the same. Some helmets are better than others though as far as quality. IMHO
I have done quite a bit of research but still have to try a bunch more on. I expect to pay in the vicinity of $300 or so - but not in the $500+ range. My budget isn't quite that big. I sometimes tend to overdo the search but to get a lid that just doesn't fit quite right or was too noisy would just piss me off! I would probably wear the thing but wouldn't like it. My current helmet was a little like that at first but maybe I have just gotten used to it. It is getting a little tired (and smelly) and I want to give a flip-up helmet a try.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions! It really helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross,
Did you ever look into the Kabuto Ibuki helmet?
I looked at the review. I will need to find a dealer around to try one on but I haven't noticed them in any of the local places. Might be going to New England this weekend and I will see if they have them at Whitehorse in Conway NH. Thanks for the suggestion.

I purchased a Lazer Monaco Carbon modular helmet a several months back from Revzilla and really like it. The carbon fibers are pretty much sold out but the composite version is available. Photochromic shield is great, light weight, vents well,reasonably quiet, comfy for my mildly oval head. Really like the quick disconnect strap, hope I don't ever have to go back to D rings. My Sena smh10 fits well. Price is nice. Check it out.https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-helmet

I need to replace my SUOMY. Not sure where to get the one I want nowadays. Last time I got it at CycleGear. It's not SNELL approved; only British Certification. And best of all it has an anti-fog visor. Great helmet. Very light.

Hard to believe this discussion is going on - again (and again and again)
banghead.gif
(the OPs remind me of women at a party who can't go to the washroom alone)
So everyone chimes in and guess what :

* everyone's head is a different shape

* everyone's pressure points are different

* everyone's owie tolerance is different

* everyone's noise perception is different

* you just have to buy it and ride it

* YRMV

Holy crap, Ross. It's a couple of hundred dollars. Take a chance. ( Your mother did
grin.gif
)

Ps. I need tires. Whaddy'all think?
Hard to believe this comment is coming up again (and again and again)
banghead.gif
. It takes many forms, but they can all be distilled down to this: "Less Talking (and Thinking), More Riding." Let's just shut the whole goddamn forum down and all go home. Here, I got you and and all the other "talk & think lessers" a t-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a Lazer Monaco Carbon modular helmet a several months back from Revzilla and really like it. The carbon fibers are pretty much sold out but the composite version is available. Photochromic shield is great, light weight, vents well,reasonably quiet, comfy for my mildly oval head. Really like the quick disconnect strap, hope I don't ever have to go back to D rings. My Sena smh10 fits well. Price is nice. Check it out.https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-helmet
Another one I haven't heard about. Looked at the revzilla and webbikeworld reviews and it is definitely worth considering.

Nolan 102 here for 5+ years with speakers. Love the ratchet on the strap. Had to add a Dring to be able to use it with my helmet pegs.(I detest dropping my helmet.) Only problem I've had with the helmet is the plastic clear coat is coming off in more than a few places,but to be fair,it's time for a change. I'm assuming the later Nolans have the internal sunshield.(?)a feature I will look for as the one I have is a pita to clean when on some dayys you didn't even use it.

The HJC symax 3 modular is a little noisy but I raise the wind shield just a little and it blocks the noise pretty well. I got mine from motorcyclegear.com for $230 I believe it was. I have the old style chatter box XBi and bought a boom mike for it and works really well. The speaker pockets in the helmet work well for my set up. I'm about 40 minutes from whitehorse gear, if you end up going down this why and what to do some local riding get in touch.

Jim

The HJC symax 3 modular is a little noisy but I raise the wind shield just a little and it blocks the noise pretty well. I got mine from motorcyclegear.com for $230 I believe it was. I have the old style chatter box XBi and bought a boom mike for it and works really well. The speaker pockets in the helmet work well for my set up. I'm about 40 minutes from whitehorse gear, if you end up going down this why and what to do some local riding get in touch.
Jim
Hi Jim

Unfortunately, Whitehorse wants $300 for the Symax III. I don't think they are into Internet price matching but I would consider it if they would meet me halfway. I get down that way at least a couple of times per year.