Items for the "ideal" FJR Tool Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiowize

Reaction score
I just nabbed one of Kathy's Journey Designs giant tool pouches, and I'm looking for suggestions as to what to stuff it with.

What tools do you guys carry that have come in handy?

My suggestion would be to go through the entire bike and pick out all the things that would need to be removed in a pinch. All fasteners, all the items needed to take out the battery, brake pad removal/replacement, spare fuses to name a few, tire repair kit, small compressor. Then , of course, you'll need the essentials. Like duct tape, electrical tape, pliers, including needle nose, dykes, small vise grips. Etc. Don't carry anything you don't need or will ever use. Keep it simple. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a large number of tools. I have to worry about two bikes, often of different make and model. You never know when someone might come along who knows how to use the things.

I think we have been down this road before . I've carried basic tools for years and not used any except a leatherman type tool and the tire repair kit

The only time I have used the rather large toolkit I carry on the bike was in July last year.

I loaned it to Jim Puckett so he could dismantle his new BMW K1600 in the hotel parking lot :D

A few ways to repair & inflate a tyre.

Been a few occasions where riders have ripped a tyre in the outback, so I now carry a 27 & 22 mm eye wrench.

And once a few months ago in the Aussie Alps the steering nut loosened off, so I have a 36mm eye wrench as well.

I think we have been down this road before . I've carried basic tools for years and not used any except a leatherman type tool and the tire repair kit
Yup, long thread that Riona (?) started a couple years ago.

Only packed tools (other than tire repairs) I've ever used is to help someone else...

--G

[Friday] Roll of duct tape, can of WD-40, a big hammer and a card with the phone number for AAA. If the first three items can't fix it, use the card. [/Friday]

Mini 12V air compressor and tire plug kit.

Spare fuses and some long zip ties.

Duct tape, which doubles as electrical tape

Enough tools to remove either wheel.

The #1 MUST HAVE item is blue shop towels. You know why.

Pick up a roll at your favorite auto parts or discount store.

Roll off ten sheets and fold them up somewhere.

The #1 MUST HAVE item is blue shop towels. You know why.Pick up a roll at your favorite auto parts or discount store.

Roll off ten sheets and fold them up somewhere.
Yup, I was broken down on one dark and stormy night, and lo and behold all I had was some white shop towels. Not a pretty story I tell you....
not_i.gif

WD-40 and Duct Tape.

If it moves and it's not supposed to, use the tape. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD-40.

I should give more thought to packed tools, but I have given some thought to the ideal packed tire pressure gauge. I have just ordered from Amazon a Draper 74308 Bar Type Tyre Pressure Gauge. It has a 90 degree chuck, ultra low profile to clear brake rotors, easily packed, reportedly accurate, and no battery to fail me roadside. I have to wait a month for it to arrive from England. Hopefully I can recommend it after receiving it. I will probably continue to use my dial gauge in the garage.

I prep it well for trips, so this is (hopefully) not required...

Tire worms and a compressor JIC I can fix it on the road.

Also, a credit card and $100 bill (or 2 if a long way from home) assuming I can't fix it.

I should give more thought to packed tools, but I have given some thought to the ideal packed tire pressure gauge. I have just ordered from Amazon a Draper 74308 Bar Type Tyre Pressure Gauge. It has a 90 degree chuck, ultra low profile to clear brake rotors, easily packed, reportedly accurate, and no battery to fail me roadside. I have to wait a month for it to arrive from England. Hopefully I can recommend it after receiving it. I will probably continue to use my dial gauge in the garage.
This tire gauge turned out great for keeping under the seat and forgetting about it. It feels solid, and the slider is metal, not plastic. The head is slightly angled, so you can't point it straight across and clear the brake rotor, but pointing it up a bit clears the rotor and results in better accuracy, just 1 psi high, relative to my nearly new and trusty Accugage. Never again will a battery fail me when I need a tire gauge the most.

Once I went with a dial pressure gauge, I never looked back a pencil gauges. They're easier for me to see and their bleed button makes dialing (heh) in the PSI a snap.

I keep one of these in my tool chest and one on the bike.

0000-accugage-accugage-with-hose----mcss.jpg

The other big ticket thing to have on a trip is a credit card with a big balance.