Items for the "ideal" FJR Tool Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I of course prefer the dial gauge in the garage, but this Draper 74308 pencil gauge fits much better under the seat with other items. I will rarely use it, so that trade off makes sense to me. I failed to mention that the dust cap also serves as a valve remover.

Never be without one of these.

acme-anvil.jpg

I confess, I have a rather over-the-top approach to tools and spares, but I only carry it when on a long trip... not day rides.

--screwdrivers, allen set, select sockets, pliers

--wire snips, small voltmeter, electrical tape and your choice of splicing bits, small coil of wire (large and small gauge)

--tire repair kit, pressure gauge and pump

--spare fluids; oil, and brake fluid

--spare fuses for everything, bulbs

--flashlight, ePIRB, multi-tool, spare batteries for everything

If you have a complete kit, you'll never need it. If you don't... ;-)

FWIW, I think a good approach is to have TWO kits... one for short rides and one for LD where you have to assume you may be on your own. Form follows function ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Other then a spare bulb and tire kit, can anyone actually relate something they fixed on the side of the road? (I'm talking modern fuel injected bike, not some 1950's Triumph.) Having some tools to crack into the cases is great but without spare parts I don't see anything getting fixed. Seems like you're still in for a tow to the nearest Yamaha dealer.

Whatever Momma Yama provided plus an AmEx.

Am contemplating AMA membership for the tow truck benefit. So maybe add "AMA membership card" to the above.

My mechanical skills ain't what the used to be, and they have never been good enough for me to trust a motorcycle I repaired. (Was somewhat challenged when installing the RAM aquabox.)

Other then a spare bulb and tire kit, can anyone actually relate something they fixed on the side of the road?
A momentary switch I'd installed in the left switch cluster to control the audiovox cruise control was intermittently failing (shorting to the handlebar). This only after several thousand miles of service. So electrical tape can be your friend.

An assortment of common tools (mostly like the ones that came with the bike) are handy to tighten the occasional fastener, or help to make minor adjustments to allow a riding buddy's bike to be ridden after a crash. Carrying straps and cordage can be useful, too.

But your point's taken, Denver. If something major or internal goes wonky, it's cell phone and credit card to the rescue.

Tape to hold a cracked or damaged fairing together after a mishap. Metal and Duct.

Enough tools to get to the battery if you need to jump it (unless you have jumper studs installed) and tighten loosened terminals.

Tape to hold a cracked or damaged fairing together after a mishap. Metal and Duct.Enough tools to get to the battery if you need to jump it (unless you have jumper studs installed) and tighten loosened terminals.
Now those are two very practical suggestions. Will be checking the Yammie tool kit Friday, and visiting Home Depot for supplemental items before Saturday's short 4-hour run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get Gorrilla Tape. Seems a bit more robust than duct tape, comes in rolls about and inch wide and wraped around a spool with an inch diameter center.

A FYI about AMA road side assistance, its no good if you go down and need a tow. Its only good for brake downs.

If you go down and need a tow, your motorcycle insurance should cover that anyway. A break down and a crash are two totally different things.

If you go down and need a tow, your motorcycle insurance should cover that anyway. A break down and a crash are two totally different things.
Premium AAA RV+ is a great thing to have. They cover all kinds of shit with their "trip interruption" coverage. I found that out a couple summers ago... LOL