Sena 10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DezzertRider

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a sena 10, primarily for music. Hate to think I would actually take a phone call while riding, but I might as well get use to the current world we live in. I can't be a complete curmudgeon forever.

Anyway, for those that have a SENA10, do they work pretty well for music?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but I had to chuckle.

I use my Sena for many things but not for music.

That said best sound will be with the earbud option,

not speakers.

...sena 10.....
....SENA10...., do they work pretty will for music?
They make tons of "10" devices including a SMH10, 10c, SR-10, SMH10R, etc.

Which one since you've typed it with a variety of spaces and capitalization?

SMH10 is popular, I've used and worked very well using earbuds, and since upgraded to 20S.

Wife and I use the SMH-10 and are pleased. A lot depends on how fussy you are about your music. Ear buds will definitely give more volume and better clarity.

My .02

You asked about the "10" .... I can speak only to the SMH10.

The sound quality with good earbuds is excellent, and you will need to run it at much lower volumes.

With the speakers the sound depends a little on the volume of the incoming signal, and you must wear earplugs. I find phone, GPS and music all loud enough and the tone quality quite decent.

If you try without earplugs the sound is tinny, lacks bass and is usually too loud even at a low setting.

I'm thinking of purchasing a sena 10, primarily for music. Hate to think I would actually take a phone call while riding, but I might as well get use to the current world we live in. I can't be a complete curmudgeon forever.
Anyway, for those that have a SENA10, do they work pretty well for music?
Its good to see the users check in with their comments. If I can be of any help, please call. Also, please note the link in my signature block explaining how to get a Forum discount at Bike Effects.

Sena systems at Bike Effects can be seen here: https://www.bikeeffects.com/products.asp?cat=8626

I was really looking at the smh10 because my new helmet is made with a recess it fits into. But because I use molded earbuds I went with the 20s. In town it works great with the built in FM radio and the speakers. If we are going on the road I'll put in the earbuds and have use either the radio or bluetooth music from the phone. Now I'm working it out to bluetooth the gps and valentine 1, where I'll get the music from the gps. Sound quality has never been a concern. FWIW, I found that by the time I purchased the adapter for earbuds and other pieces for the SMH10, the cost was close to the 20S.

Yes, I'm kind of picky about the music quality so I was thinking that helmet speakers aren't going to be the optimum solution. Sounding more like the best way to go is a high quality set of ear buds and use the SENA for the bluetooth interface. The cheaper way to go would be to just run an extension cable from my music player/phone/ipod directly to earbuds and by pass the bluetooth gadgetry all together. Of course, no phone calls and GPS info, but I don't think I would care too much about that stuff anyway. Normally I ride with my windscreen down and earplugs - full face helmet (of course). So the challenge is to overcome the wind noise with tunes but not cause more damage to your hearing by cranking up music that is piped directly into your ear canals. Maybe all this is a bad idea and I'll stay with foam ear plugs and just sing to myself.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I'm kind of picky about the music quality so I was thinking that helmet speakers aren't going to be the optimum solution. Sounding more like the best way to go is a high quality set of ear buds and use the SENA for the bluetooth interface. The cheaper way to go would be to just run an extension cable from my music player/phone/ipod directly to earbuds and by pass the bluetooth gadgetry all together. Of course, no phone calls and GPS info, but I don't think I would care too much about that stuff anyway. Normally I ride with my windscreen down and earplugs - full face helmet (of course). So the challenge is to overcome the wind noise with tunes but not cause more damage to your hearing by cranking up music that is piped directly into your ear canals. Maybe all this is a bad idea and I'll stay with foam ear plugs and just sing to myself.
rolleyes.gif
That's what I do...but I'm really good at singing. YRMD

Its good to see the users check in with their comments. If I can be of any help, please call. Also, please note the link in my signature block explaining how to get a Forum discount at Bike Effects.
Sena systems at Bike Effects can be seen here: https://www.bikeeffects.com/products.asp?cat=8626
Crap! Wish I would have seen this earlier, have a new 20s coming on the truck today. Do you sell the other parts, like mounting kit for additional helmet?

Actually my SMH10 speakers sound pretty darn good. I have to turn down the volume. I installed the included foam spacers behind the speakers. System installed in my HJC Symax3 modular.

Agree with Twigg 100% re the speakers on the SMH10 - the speakers sound fine to me if you use ear plugs - otherwise they sound very tinny and way too loud. I've never tried the ear bud approach so can't comment....

You asked about the "10" .... I can speak only to the SMH10.
The sound quality with good earbuds is excellent, and you will need to run it at much lower volumes.

With the speakers the sound depends a little on the volume of the incoming signal, and you must wear earplugs. I find phone, GPS and music all loud enough and the tone quality quite decent.

If you try without earplugs the sound is tinny, lacks bass and is usually too loud e

For now, I think I'm going to go with the Shure SE215 Earbuds. These seem to get rave reviews on the sound quality and ability to isolate outside noise. I can always use them with a SENA at some point later on.

Thanks for everyone's input.

For now, I think I'm going to go with the Shure SE215 Earbuds. These seem to get rave reviews on the sound quality and ability to isolate outside noise. I can always use them with a SENA at some point later on.
Thanks for everyone's input.
They are the ones I have, and they are awesome.

Don't be too disappointed if you cannot get the included tips to work. Search for "Comply Tips" and try a few until you find the ones that are a perfect fit for you.

Hi Twigg,

Thanks for the tip on the "tips"!!

I already picked a pair up locally and tried them out, not on the FJR yet. They do sound really good for ear-buds. I've never spent anywhere close to a hundred bucks for ear buds, so they should be a few notches above the garden variety stuff. I had them on in my car on the way back to work, I had the window down and couldn't really hear any outside noise at all. I think these are going to work. As mentioned before, I can use these with a Sena when that decision is made.