"Pinning" the saddlebags - how do I do this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm interested in pinning my bags, but am not sure the best way to do this. Is there a "how to" thread on this? I'm thinking it involves drilling a hole through the lower mounting point on the bike and the bag, and putting a circlip through the hole. Is it as simple as that? What size hold is recommended? What size circlip is recommended?

Thanks guys!

First, make sure that the two screws holding your bag locks in place (on both bags of course) are locktited and tight. Many come from the dealers with no locktite, are found to be somewhat loose, and in some cases vibrate all the way out which can cause the case to bounce off of the resting points and hit the road. Costly. So secure them with locktite if you haven't already.

I've use the lock pins on both of my FJRs. I've found that a lock pin with a two inch long, 1/4" diameter pin is perfectly sufficient. I usually drill a 5/16" hold through the bag plastic and through the rubber resting pad. You can't really do this with the bags on the bike because you cant get the right angle and you run the risk of scratching up something on the bike. So you will be able to do it just fine by eyeballing it. I didn't use shrink tubing on the U-shaped lock wire, I just wrapped it up with black electrical tape and let the hair go with the hide!

Per BanjoBoy...you can certainly accomplish the same secure attachment with zip ties. I just figured I would get pissed if I had to cut them off each time I wanted to remove the bag so figured the lock pins would be better for my disposition and likely keep my blood pressure down, not normal, just down.
smile.png

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a pair of 5/16 x 2-3/4" pins today at Home Depot. I'll try to get some time this weekend to do this.

I'm also going to take a closer look at my bags. I think it may be a case of me needing to ride more and worry less.

when you drill your holes get them as close to the center of the metal tang as possible