Lowest After Market Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTW1300

Reaction score
Recently I posted about installing the lowering links and the forum has been excellent in explaining the potential issues. Also after reviewing the sit it would seem that aftermarket seats are likely the way to go to reduce the height by the 1-1.5" I am looking for. I am not concerned with the height generally but due to the slope of my driveway and the parking area at the cottage I am concerned as the height is just too much.

So finally the question... What seat has the lowest height and is still comfortable. I will replace both seats. Make and model would be a real help. I have the 2013 FJRA

Corbin. Had mine custom made for me in a ride in to Corbin as I am of shorter inseam. Comfort is in the seat of the beholder....some like it. Others not so much.

One thing that helps is to have the seat narrowed at the front which can be done to the stock seat or have one built narrowed in front. Locally we have Superior Interiors which is a custom car interior fabricator but they also do motorcycle seats, if you could find a company like that locally they should be able to skin, trim and staple your OEM seat very quickly.

^^ What the Gmann say. Probably, afaik. I think the Corbin is @ 1" - 1 1/2" lower, (check the Corbin site to confirm).

I got one 2nd hand from a fellow forumite. Liked the lower height, and it looks very stylish. I found it marginally more comfortable than stock, but sadly not sufficient to prevent numb bum after 5 or 6 hours.

I sold it to another forumite, replacing it with an RDL, purchased from someone of similar weight and inseam to me. Fortunately, my legs are longish, because that darn thing is actually an inch or so higher than stock. And it's kinda weird looking. However, I can now ride literally all day without discomfort.

Good luck

Corbin is lowest, hardest....... get somebody to put some more foam in it. Shape is good. Also trim the rubber feet off if you need more (on any seat).

HTW1300,

I believe Corbin is one of the lowest seats available. Some say these seats are rather hard, but mine is a good fit, and does not seem hard to me. On the 2008, you can remove the white plastic seat support to lower the rider's seat onto the frame. You can also remove the front rubber buttons on the bottom of the seat; they just pop out with some water applied. Protect the frame with a layer of plastic tape there instead, to get the front of the seat lower. Check the owner's manual (I don't have a Gen3) to see if the seat can be lowered, if you have not done so..

I have yet another option for you, though. Footwear with tall, aggressive treads on the sole and heel (waffle-stompers) will also help in getting feet on the ground. I found some light tactical (combat) boots that look like regular black shoes or riding boots, They came with thick soles, side zippers and laces. The soles have a steel shank, and work very well with the rider's footpegs. These boots give good foot protection, and they do well even in cold weather. Since they were discontinued stock, the price was about half of what good quality riding boots would have cost. You would not find there what I found here, but I think the concept is still valid, if you can find similar footwear.

Cheers,

Infrared

6f398e955398324c__35968.1403702743.1280.1280.jpg

These questions always make me wonder how anyone could ever manage a tall motorcycle like a BMW GS or any of the other big ADV bikes. Then those dirtbikes with their impossibly tall seats...

I guess only folks over 7 foot tall can ride those. Or they never ride offroad or on hills or slopes. Probably why you never see any of those bikes, no one is tall enough to ride them.
weirdsmiley.gif

HTW1300,

Man, that HotRodZilla sure has some flashy footwear.
rolleyes.gif
My black boots look fairly similar to these:

105775_2.jpg

Of course, this is the inside view, showing the zipper. Worn with regular jeans, they are fairly reasonable in appearance, and (naturally) they are good for walking. The steel shank is very nice to have, for riding with footpegs. These boots do bring the ground closer, when stopping the bike. You will be walking taller when off the bike, as well.

Cheers,

Infrared

Thanks everyone. Normally it is not an issue but this is not an adventure bike and the drive into the cottage with the ruts etc., is not fun.

I know a vertically challenged feller who had his stock seat narrowed 'n sum of the foam removed. Think he said sumpin about removing them rubber grommets on the bottom too?