Issues......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkrkr4lif

Reaction score
So riding to work today, I out my right blinker on and my high beams and both blinkers came on for about a second. Then they went to normal with my blinker blinking, then 2 minutes down the road with no imput from me the high beams flashed again. Some one told me today at work that it's the switch, but something tells me that there might be more to it.

Guy I work says it's probably not a spider because the high beams actually came on, not just the indicator light on the dash.

The spider under the glove box looks good, I checked a few others a couple weeks ago and they looked good too, no discoloration or melting

Also, just wondering because I know nothing about electronic crap, but how would a ground issue cause things to turn on randomly? Shouldn't they turn off or not come on?

Also, just wondering because I know nothing about electronic crap, but how would a ground issue cause things to turn on randomly? Shouldn't they turn off or not come on?
If the current from one load can't return to ground through its proper path, it can back-feed through another. When you get switches feeding computers, general electrical mayhem can ensue.

Here's your clue: What do the turn signal circuit and headlight have in common?

The answer is in my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the switch apart last night and cleaned it up. Didn't have a chance to find the plug to look at it. Doesn't the spider under the glove box control the high beams and blinkers? I think I figured that out with the little time I had left last night. If so, how do I fix it? I also don't know if any recalls have been done

The S4 spider is the only one that was included in recalls. The S6 is another common failure point. Because it is a grounding issue, it is difficult to pinpoint the point of failure based upon symptoms alone - everything affects everything, or so it would appear from my experience.

If the current from one load can't return to ground through its proper path, it can back-feed through another. When you get switches feeding computers, general electrical mayhem can ensue.

Here's your clue: What do the turn signal circuit and headlight have in common?
The answer is in my question.

Somewhere on that motorcycle you have a grounding issue. It may not be in a place that makes sense, it may be somewhere that you would not think should be affecting those components. Grounding issues on a DC system can be very confusing and very frustrating.