Any lawyers out there? Maybe trade a farkle for advice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the title to this thread and thought OH S#$!, somebody has done something dumb and wants to blame it on a good or service they've gotten from garauld.

In part because just the other day we were talking about liability issues related to the "moonlight" work that a few of my fellow mechanics do on the side. It got me to wondering if folks hosting or helping out at a tech day might be putting themselves at risk? Say, for instance, someone left a tech meet and then down the road a wad of wiring or a brake pad fell out and caused an oops. Have trouble imagining a lawyer taking that up on contingency?

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

It got me to wondering if folks hosting or helping out at a tech day might be putting themselves at risk? Say, for instance, someone left a tech meet and then down the road a wad of wiring or a brake pad fell out and caused an oops. Have trouble imagining a lawyer taking that up on contingency?
Maybe I'm just paranoid.
You may be paranoid, but you're not the first one to be concerned about that. It has crossed my mind a time or two.

Hope you find the assistance you need Garauld.

We now live in an age where nothing is one's own fault and someone else must pay. Sad, sad, sad....

I'm no lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but as far as tech days are concerned, that should fall under "assumed liability". JSNS
A reasonable person would think so but it costs a whole lot of money to prove you don't have to pay someone for their own issues.

Paul, state ethics rules limit what a lawyer can do online, including providing advice - especially on questions from an out-of-state party. This article (see points #8 & 9) illustrate the challenges lawyers face in providing online advice. You might be surprised at how little information lawyers can provide without risking their own liability for providing answers to legal questions.

But here is some non-legal advice - if you have concerns about claims you could encounter when hosting a tech day, consider calling your homeowner's insurance agent, and see what claims (if any) would be covered under your policy for such activities, and whether your applicable coverage would include cost of defense for those claims or even others not covered. Their answers are not necessarily binding (your policy is the operating agreement), but it can provide some hint of whether you'd be covered if a tech-day participant sued you for injuries they suffered if an accident were linked to activities undertaken on your premises.

You might also send a general question to the lawyer(s) who write for Jalopnik (Steve Lehto) or Motorcycle Consumer News (Harry Deitzler) who might provide some high level information and who practice the type of law applicable to such claims (I am an intellectual property attorney - not who you want to take advice from on claims involving injuries incurred at tech day, even if I could provide it).

Alternately you could consider an umbrella liability policy (usually as a rider on your home owners insurance). It covers up to the covered amount of your rider anything that might result in a liability suit. IIRC something like a million costs about $100-150 a year. It was recommended to all of when taking our CHL course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been working on a non-motorcycle project and need some advice from a lawyer-type before I get too far along... PM me if interested. Thanks.
Why are folks talking about tech days when clearly he is asking about a non motorcycle project? Did I miss something?

IMHO as a business owner Garauld I suggest it's better to talk to other folks in business (BTDT) or directly to a lawyer who handles your type of project, spend a few bucks now to cover your ass or a bunch later trying to save it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been working on a non-motorcycle project and need some advice from a lawyer-type before I get too far along... PM me if interested. Thanks.
IMHO as a business owner Garauld I suggest it's better to talk to other folks in business (BTDT) or directly to a lawyer who handles your type of project, spend a few bucks now to cover your ass or a bunch later trying to save it.
Bugs is absolutely correct. Please don't be Penny wise and pound foolish. Seek out an attorney who practices and specializes in the area you have questions about. Pay him for his time. You'll end up way ahead in the long run and probably learn something useful along the way. JSNS