Microsoft / Apple = BMW / FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammess

Reaction score
So I've been getting acquainted with my 2010 FJR and to tell the truth the FeeJeR is kind of boring. I mean about all there is to do is just ride and enjoy. It reminds me of when I bought my first Mac after a life with Windows and before that DOS. In other words the FJR is to motorcycles as Apple is to computers which is hard to get used to after 44 years with BMW.

It seems not much is common knowledge about the FJR ECU probably because there is no need to analyze the FJR engine control unit like there is in the case of an oilhead ECU. That said I am curious about how or if one can look at diagnostic fault code logs on the Yamaha ECU. I have seen references to the "barbaric" jumper but I'm a bit hesitant to commence installation of a jumper on the ECU electrical connector without in depth knowledge of exactly what this jumper does and where the idea originated. I don't know if this jumper works on all FJR generations or if it's even necessary. How does a dealer tech access these fault codes?

I've performed most needed preventive maintenance including change all fluids and sync TB's. Don't even have to check valves until 24K miles. Jeez, I've got 22K miles to go! What am I gonna do?

Nothing to do but ride. Good thing I still have my '93 R1100RSL or I would go nuts!
uhoh.gif

Do the jumper. It's how they will do it at the dealership. They have a plug that plugs into that which is just a cap that jumpers the two pins. It works very well. Sorry it seems barbaric, but sometimes simple solutions work best.
wink.png

So I've been getting acquainted with my 2010 FJR and to tell the truth the FeeJeR is kind of boring. I mean about all there is to do is just ride and enjoy. It reminds me of when I bought my first Mac after a life with Windows and before that DOS. In other words the FJR is to motorcycles as Apple is to computers which is hard to get used to after 44 years with BMW.
It seems not much is common knowledge about the FJR ECU probably because there is no need to analyze the FJR engine control unit like there is in the case of an oilhead ECU. That said I am curious about how or if one can look at diagnostic fault code logs on the Yamaha ECU. I have seen references to the "barbaric" jumper but I'm a bit hesitant to commence installation of a jumper on the ECU electrical connector without in depth knowledge of exactly what this jumper does and where the idea originated. I don't know if this jumper works on all FJR generations or if it's even necessary. How does a dealer tech access these fault codes?

I've performed most needed preventive maintenance including change all fluids and sync TB's. Don't even have to check valves until 24K miles. Jeez, I've got 22K miles to go! What am I gonna do?

Nothing to do but ride. Good thing I still have my '93 R1100RSL or I would go nuts!
uhoh.gif
I have a suggestion. You can get use to normal maintenance! ha ha :D

Owning the FJR is kind of like my Honda CRV. Today I had to replace a broken condenser fan. I swear, having something break every 170K miles is really annoying.

biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see which jumper you talk about?
You have one only for ABS ecu, the diagnostic fault code logs from the Yamaha ECU are directly reachable via the display.

note 1:
since 2014 you can say Chrysler instead of Fiat.

note 2:

About FIAT, in France, we have a joke, Fiat is "Fabrication Italienne d'Autos Trafiquées" (Italian manufacturing trafficked Autos)

Renault Citroen and Peogeot have the same shit quality of Fiat...don't worry.I had a Clio and apart the engine the rest of the car was full of problems.Wolkswagen is also crap...toyota#1

rest assured, we have the same kind of comment for Peugeot or Renault, seat, or ford or ...
no chauvinism

"I don't see which jumper you talk about?
You have one only for ABS ecu, the diagnostic fault code logs from the Yamaha ECU are directly reachable via the display"

I see you have a 2007. Could it be a previous owner may have installed the jumper on your bike?

rest assured, we have the same kind of comment for Peugeot or Renault, seat, or ford or ...no chauvinism
Since my youngest days back in Poland there was always a definition of crap cars as the ones starting with "f": Fiat, Ford and french.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I did the jumper thing on my 2010 which just involved moving the wire from pin #23 of the ECU connector to pin #25. I then followed the instructions and noted the CO settings for cylinders 1 - 4 and was surprised to find out that they all were set to zero (0). I guess I should set each one to +7 in this case?

Oh, a suggestion to Yamaha would be to maybe contract BMW to package their motorcycles. I mean jeez...what a hassle to access the air filter. I've heard of the Chinese puzzle and maybe this is the Japanese equivalent? I can have both side panels completely off my '93 R1100RSL in less than five minutes and checking the air filter in less than 30 seconds. True, I got to remove the gas tank to access the battery so all is not a bed of roses but even then tank removal is pretty simple one bolt and 4 easy to remove small screws and off she comes.

No, I don't want my '04 R1150RT back.

Quityerbitchin. You don't have an AE. Try changing the air filter on those!
biggrin.png