missing rear axle pinch bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in Phx

Reaction score
I went to change my rear tire and noticed my rear axle pinch bolt is missing. Not sure how long it's been gone.

Can anyone tell me what the pinch bolt dimensions are, so I can get a local replacement? Judging by some spare odd bolts on hand, it seems like a 8MX20 but I'm not sure of the correct length. The parts fiche doesn't specify the size but a search seems to indicate this isn't too uncommon.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/14961-pinch-bolt-poser/?hl=%2Baxle+%2Bpinch+%2Bbolt&do=findComment&comment=181272

Also, to prevent this from happening again, would a small dot of blue loc-tite be out of the question? Or has anyone had success using a lock washer on it?

Not sure on the length but it does have a lock washer on it. Thread should be 1.25 8MM bolt. Pretty much standard Metric thread for JAP. bikes, cars.

No need for lock tight with washer.

Start it by hand if not sure. 2005 has a part listing 2007 doesn't

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that there is a washer but did not think it was a lock washer. In any case, there really isn't any need to put Loctite on it if it is tightened correctly.

Based on the parts fiche, looks to be a M8 X 40mm length.

--G

Edit...should have hit refresh, bigb beat me to it!

I bet that the last guy that mounted the rear wheel just forgot to tighten the pinch bolt. Loctite wouldn't help with that. ;)

My method for torquing the rear axle nut ensures that this doesn't happen:

I snug the nut up, then tighten the pitch bolt to hold the axle from spinning when I torque the nut to spec. Then I go back and loosen and relighted the pinch bolt to release any spring in the swing arm. Generally there isn't any but I do that anyway just to be 100% sure.

There's a sheet metal spark plug? wrench in my FJR tool pouch which fits inside the hex socket on the axle.

I use this wrench to hold the axle as I tighten the axle nut.

I tighten the pinch bolt after doing everything else. Not sure the pinch bolt offers much value anyway.

I wish I had a 14 mm hex bit socket I could use on the axle. For the rare use with the axle I've continued to use the sheet metal tool.

Yes, I've seen those multi-tools.

If I had some red threadlocker I'd make a simple axle tool with a short 10 mm D bolt and a nut or two.

The head on a standard 10 mm bolt is 14 mm. Same for a nut.

Get a short hex head bolt and thread a nut onto it with a bit of red threadlocker.

You have a 14 mm hex bit ready for use.

Maybe use two nuts for additional threadlocker, strength, and stability.

The problem is that you have to be holding the axle from spinning on the right side while turning the torque wrench on the nut on the left side of the bike at the same time.

Doing this by yourself it is far easier to just tighten the pinch bolt temporarily to hold the axle from spinning. Just make sure everything is snugged up first so you do not flex the swing arm leg excessively. And no need for any special tools.

I put a drop of red bolt marker on all the critical bolts so i can do a quick check before every ride just by looking at them and i know they are tight.

fAmCLhm.jpg