Broken Rear Axle Swing Arm Pinch Bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone here know if there are any swing arm differences between the Generations?

I have an 06, and the drilling process didn't work out so well so I'm looking at picking up a used swing arm.

There are affordable swingarms for Gen 1 bikes, and a 2010 which I *assume* should be the same but wanted to check here with the masses.

-=MD

Nevermind there's one for an 06-09 on there. Here I go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Closing the loop on this.

I was unsuccessful drilling out the broken bolt. Read: without a lift, it was a pain in the ass, so I punted and took it to an independant shop. They drilled it out and moved up to the next larger bolt size and tapped it for that so I'm good to go.

As a backup, I snagged a complete swing arm from feabay, for $50 plus shipping (so about $80 bucks). It was cheap insurance. The shop charged me a whopping $99 to fix it. So I'm good to go, and have a spare swing arm for an 06-09 if anyone else finds themselves in the same boat.

Happy to pass it along.

-=MD

Come to think of it, I have a broken front axle on the 2015. Still riding around on it. The only thing holding it in are the pinch bolts. I went all the way up to Nova Scotia 2 up a few weeks ago. I got to get around to fixin it. It was a replacement axle when I bought the crash guards. It has the plastic hockey pucks on the outside. When I put it in it seemed kind of flimsy. I have a repair Idea when I get around to it. For now the pinch bolts seem to be doing the job.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave - can you elaborate on your broken axle? What happened, how did it happen, and what assurances to you have that your wheel won't go one way when the rest of you goes the other?

Sounds concerning and to be honest, I'm curious.

I installed the T-Rex kit for my bike. It comes with a front axle with some hockey pucks on both sides. See link.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/FJR1300-Engine-Luggage-Guard-Combo-p/n69-13egcombo.htm

So if you look at the axle in the picture you can see a threaded adapter on the right side of it. That is what snapped in to pieces. So I installed the broken part back on after installing the new tires. There is a 1/4 rod that goes thru the hole business with a cap screw on one end.Not to be trusted I am sure. So between that and the pinch bolts that is what is holding things together. I am sure I am not the only one with this issue. the wall thickness on the threaded adapter is very thin. the material seems to be soft also. I have an idea to fix it but it most likely won't happen until the next tire needs to be put on. I feel confident enough that it will hold up until then.

dave