Front Axle/Fork "Bounce"/Pinch Bolt Sequence

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leghorn

Reaction score
I've always read that you're supposed to bounce the forks before tightening the pinch bolt on the front axle to ensure that "stiction" is minimized in the front suspension. Supposedly, this would ensure that the forks are exactly parallel to each other.

On my '04 ABS, I can't see what difference it makes. The shoulder on the right side of the axle appears to nestle into the fork lower and when the axle is torqued to spec into the left lower, it seems to close the forks slightly onto the wheel assembly. Everything seems pretty snug and I can't see what bouncing the forks is going to change. The pinch bolt (there's only one on my model) obviously keeps the axle from loosening, but I can't see that does anything to affect the lateral movement of the forks.

Am I missing something here?

Yes. People die when they ignore the cautions set forth in the manual, ditto long told and followed "always done this way" truisms passed on down through the centuries. Ignore and suffer the horrifying consequences.

Tomorrow-oil and it's many forms-the truth told.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always done it, just because that was everyone said to do, but last time, I was in a hurry.

I installed the tire, didn't but it against a wall before tightening the pinch bolt.

1500 miles later, nothing broke.... yet....

I've always read that you're supposed to bounce the forks before tightening the pinch bolt on the front axle to ensure that "stiction" is minimized in the front suspension. Supposedly, this would ensure that the forks are exactly parallel to each other.
On my '04 ABS, I can't see what difference it makes. The shoulder on the right side of the axle appears to nestle into the fork lower and when the axle is torqued to spec into the left lower, it seems to close the forks slightly onto the wheel assembly. Everything seems pretty snug and I can't see what bouncing the forks is going to change. The pinch bolt (there's only one on my model) obviously keeps the axle from loosening, but I can't see that does anything to affect the lateral movement of the forks.

Am I missing something here?
I just put a new front tire on mine.. didn't even know I was suppose to do anything like bouncing the forks. Not sure exactly what that is though. I've made it too and from work so far. Should I consider myself lucky to have made it in one piece?