Factory top case position modification?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Opinionated curmudgeon
Reaction score
I have a 2016 that came with a factory top box. When riding 2-up, it pushes the passenger too far forward, pushing ME forward. Can this be modified somehow so the top box is further aft?

I took the pad off my Givi and the wife liked it a LOT better than with the pad. Her jacket has back protection, and the Givi is smooth.

I took the pad off my Givi and the wife liked it a LOT better than with the pad. Her jacket has back protection, and the Givi is smooth.
I don't think that is an option on the Yamaha top box, unfortunately. I guess if I lost some of the excess padding I carry around with me the problem would not be so noticeable. But I don't see that happening anytime soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved it my case back 1.5 inches so I could leave the cushion on it so the wife (management) doesn't complain. She thinks it's perfect now. Sorry bikes in storage right now or I would take pics for you. foot and a half of snow and -22C
uhoh.gif

I moved it my case back 1.5 inches so I could leave the cushion on it so the wife (management) doesn't complain. She thinks it's perfect now. Sorry bikes in storage right now or I would take pics for you. foot and a half of snow and -22C
uhoh.gif
How did you move it back? Is the mounting bracket separate from the case? Did you need to drill holes?

Sorry to hear about your winter weather. It's 77 degrees here in South-Central Pennsylvania today!
punk.gif

I will look into this over the weekend. I don't think removing the pad on the Factory top box will be a viable option. The pad in her jacket is there for safety. I won't reduce her safety over this. I'll find a way to modify the setup before I do that.

I am currently modifying a Givi SR357 with an extension plate welded to the rear of the rack. It will move the trunk back 4-1/2". The end user could drill additional holes closer if he finds it too far back. I will post a photo of the finished rack.

I am currently modifying a Givi SR357 with an extension plate welded to the rear of the rack. It will move the trunk back 4-1/2". The end user could drill additional holes closer if he finds it too far back. I will post a photo of the finished rack.
Judging by other items of yours that I have purchased, it will probably be a great solution. I'll be watching for information on this!

The factory top box pad IS removable. The fasteners are on the inside of the lid. But it sounds like you need more space than that will offer. Listen to Garauld. He has a big brain.

I just made another longer flat plate that I bolted to the bike using the 3 rear carrier bolts them bolted the top box mounting plate to that 2 1/2" farther back now the front of the top box is level with the front 2 existing bolts. Wife thinks its perfect.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

I tried to find the post by AuburnFJR but cannot locate it. I did PM him. One thing discussed in other threads concerning this matter is the absence or presence of the stiffy kit. This *is* installed on my 2016, in case that makes any difference.

Watch the load weight in the box if you move the box back, you will be increasing the leverage on the sub frame.

Definitely one of the factors which caused by sub frame to break on my '05.

Other major factors was that was a GivI 42 loaded to the gills with camping equipment and I hit a major sink in the road at speed inbound to Tok on the ALCAN.

I must have flown the bike 60', landed it fine but you know something is wrong when the rear wheel is rubbing on the fender.

Chris

Watch the load weight in the box if you move the box back, you will be increasing the leverage on the sub frame.Definitely one of the factors which caused by sub frame to break on my '05.

Other major factors was that was a GivI 42 loaded to the gills with camping equipment and I hit a major sink in the road at speed inbound to Tok on the ALCAN.

I must have flown the bike 60', landed it fine but you know something is wrong when the rear wheel is rubbing on the fender.

Chris
Chris,

Were you cited for flying without a pilot's license? :)

It sounds like it was a pretty unpleasant experience. I have the stiffy kit reinforcing it, but I will remember this when I am loading the bike. It will not be too often that it's heavily loaded, but good information to remember.

Thank you.

Here's the modified SR357 with the 4-1/2" extension (1/8" thick) added:
nN5ECW0.jpg

tt5ayBh.jpg
Uh-oh, they must be on imgur. That's blocked where I work. (Why, I have no clue!)

I'll look tonight. Thank you!

EDIT: Checked 'em out on my cell phone. Looks good, will you PM me cost details and availability, please?

Last edited by a moderator: