Factory top case position modification?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to download some pics with imgur but it seems to be overcapacity!!! As usual! So what I did to move the case back 1.5" was I took 2 steel plates 7" long 2" wide you have to mount them on an angle so they fit under the plastic lip. This is for the SR357. That bracket above looks way nicer but I think moving it back 4.5" is a little too much. Just my opinion.

I tried to download some pics with imgur but it seems to be overcapacity!!! As usual! So what I did to move the case back 1.5" was I took 2 steel plates 7" long 2" wide you have to mount them on an angle so they fit under the plastic lip. This is for the SR357. That bracket above looks way nicer but I think moving it back 4.5" is a little too much. Just my opinion.
Thanks for your reply!

I was thinking that 4.5" might not be enough! I'm going to go out to the garage today and check it out, take some measurements, etc. I have some diamond plate I could make something out of if the sr357 bracket won't work.

I intend to move my Maxia rearwards to leave a little more room for the Missus, if she ever, ever, gets on the back of my bike again (got an NC700XD last autumn and won't get off it). But I'm thinking a max of 1 1/2" to 2". Eyeballing going further gives me concern about the leverage a loaded case would get (I put my range bag in the trunk on the way to USPSA matches, for instance).

Plus it will worsen the sail effect in crosswinds or turbulence, and I find the FJR to be less than wonderful in that regard compared to the ZX1100E parked alongside.

Garauld's solution is so much more elegant than mine I'm embarrassed. I was just going to add a plate of 1/4" aluminum and drill some holes. What a cretin!

I intend to move my Maxia rearwards to leave a little more room for the Missus, if she ever, ever, gets on the back of my bike again (got an NC700XD last autumn and won't get off it). But I'm thinking a max of 1 1/2" to 2". Eyeballing going further gives me concern about the leverage a loaded case would get (I put my range bag in the trunk on the way to USPSA matches, for instance).Plus it will worsen the sail effect in crosswinds or turbulence, and I find the FJR to be less than wonderful in that regard compared to the ZX1100E parked alongside.

Garauld's solution is so much more elegant than mine I'm embarrassed. I was just going to add a plate of 1/4" aluminum and drill some holes. What a cretin!
My wife was crowding me on the FJR, so I actually made a plate to move the factory mount rearward. Worked great until she decided to ride her own ride, which coincidentally is a NC700XD.

We still get to ride together but it sure is freeing to not have a passenger on the bike. Now I just us the Sena intercom to tell her I'll wait for her down the road when we hit the nice twisties and then take off at my preferred pace. :evil:

Thanks for your reply!

I was thinking that 4.5" might not be enough! I'm going to go out to the garage today and check it out, take some measurements, etc. I have some diamond plate I could make something out of if the sr357 bracket won't work.
You have to take the plastic mounting plate for the Yamaha top case and separate it the top and bottom piece, then cut off the extended pieces that bolts got through so the top plate is flat. Then you can position and drill the Gaurald's plate to fit the position you want. I made and adaptor plate instead of welding the piece like Gaurald's (nice work as usual). The Yamaha top plate provides the lock down mechanism to hold the top case in place.

Shoot me a PM with your phone number and I can text you pictures.

I only moved mine back about 1-1.5".

My girlfriend has no desire to ride a motorcycle herself.
sad.png
Look at it this way, you don't want spend time on rides wondering if she is OK, especially since you will most likely ride at a different pace then she does. It will make your ride more enjoyable and you get to share the experience with her. That is the reason I don't want the misses riding her own bike. It would suck for me and she would feel pressure to keep up, not good for her either. She does ride her own dirt bike (Honda CRF150) and is a very good rider.

She actually gets so comfortable that she will sleep while riding on the back. (the telltale helmet smack in the middle of my back
rolleyes.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, she told me that she would ride a Can Am Spyder, so I MIGHT look into one for her. However, I would still want to make the modification. Sorry I did not call, I am busy getting ready for vacation in the Caribbean starting Sunday. I will set myself a reminder to contact you upon my return. Thank you!