Broken plastic tab

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre

Reaction score
Bought a used headlight to replace my broken one ( big scratches ).

Receive it with the top plastic tab broken.

Is there a way to fix this ?

Did a search to find threads on plastic repair did not find anything..... :blink:

Top plastic tab that is one of the 4 attach points with screws? If so, the only thing I can think of is either some epoxy or building the area up with some JBWeld. Used with broken isn't such a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a used headlight to replace my broken one ( big scratches ).
Receive it with the top plastic tab broken.

Is there a way to fix this ?

Did a search to find threads on plastic repair did not find anything..... :blink:
Try some of this plastex stuff

Top plastic tab that is one of the 4 attach points with screws? If so, the only thing I can think of is either some epoxy or building the area up with some JBWeld. Used with broken isn't such a good deal.

Check out this site. This is a Canadian Manufacturer, However, I'm sure you can get a US distributer.

https://www.plastex.ca/default.asp

Regards,

Newfie Bullet

Check out this site. This is a Canadian Manufacturer, However, I'm sure you can get a US distributer.
Yeah away out there in Terrebonne USA :dribble:
I often order stuff from Us Distributors without any problems. I'm sure that our Canadian Distributors will offer you the same treatment. However, if you encounter a problem please Email me. I have a kit that you can have.

Regards,

Newfie Bullet

I am fond of Devcon plastic weld -- a 2-part epoxy for plastics and more.

Available at your local Wal-mart
devr2700.jpg

Tries a little milkey, i.e. it does not dry clear.

Caution -- cures very fast. (10 minutes typical).

Try a hobby shop that sells ZAP brand cyanoacrylate adhesives (super glues) for RC and plastic models. Product is called PlastiZAP. Does not dry clear but holds plastic extremely well.

Thanks guys, order a kit from the web site.

Will take pictures and post them after, will let you know if it works.

Thanks guys, order a kit from the web site.
Will take pictures and post them after, will let you know if it works.
Pierre

After a (totally unwanted) brief offroad experience with my FJR I realized that one of the plastic tabs of the headlight assembly was broken.

This was a RH side one. IIRC the black material these tabs are made of is Polipropylene aka PP and it's a bitch to glue.

Fortunately I still had the broken-off part of the tab and I experimented with various ways of sticking them back together.

What proved to be a winner was the following. I mixed a dollop of 2-component epoxy resin (it normally comes in a twin syringe) and applied a bit to both ends

of the broken tab. As I expected, this would not work as the end bit would sag and eventually fall off. ( I hate it when it sags like that... :rolleyes: ).

I then took a small length of aluminum foil, dabbed quite a bit of resin on one side and wrapped it around the two joined tab bits.

This kept them in position long enough for all that resin to harden (I also applied more resin all around this sloppy "cast").

After 12 hours or so, the resin was rock hard and the part virtually rebuilt and stronger than the original. Because the tab's hidden I could care less if my job looked

rather messy.

Hope this helps... bonne chance!

Stef