Low Cost Sat Radio Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valueman

Reaction score
For long trips I love having satellite radio on my motorcycles. However, it is not something I use with everyday riding. When I searched the web for mounts I could use on a motorcycle I found several that looked great. But it just struck me that for no more than I use it, I could probably come up with something on my own that would work.

So, I went to Home Depot and started looking around. I came home with two metal brackets (part A23Z, sku 44315 75330) used to join wood for decks. They were $0.87 each.

DSC03514.jpg

I oriented them as shown, and then drilled holes to match the mounting plate that came with the radio.

DSC03516.jpg

I drilled two more holes to accommodate a standard RAM ball, attached the radio mounting plate to the brackets, and snapped the radio into place. The antenna rests on top with the antenna wire secured within the “U” of the bracket using cable ties.

DSC03520.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

DSC03518.jpg

DSC03517.jpg

A little paint and I was done. I was after function rather than form, so I did not spend a lot of time making it look pretty, but that could be easily done if one were inclined. It works, and last weekend at Deals Gap several people asked me about where I got it. It is with their prodding that I am posting this.

The photos are with my Starmate mounted. I used the same bracket to hold the Roady2 that I used to have. Maybe this $3 solution will work for you.

VM

Good job there Valueman. I like the fact that you then have a metal plate to also attach the magnetic antenna. I'm sure you will be seeing some variations of your farkle popping up shortly.....All for $1.74....Thats why they call him the Valueman....

Someone will soon have a CNC Machined Unobtanium Powdercoated version for $200 that all will lust for, however. :p Nice job in any case.

Very good design and execution. If others need beauty to go with function, I have two suggestions: wipe the galvanized metal parts with vinegar, or soak them in an acid-based toilet bowl cleaner...the idea is to get some acid on the metal, to etch it, so paint will stick, and then use black appliance epoxy paint available at any hardware store or home center, in the spray can section. Very high gloss, easy to use, cures very, very hard.

Course, the paint will cost four or five bucks, but you'll have some left over for other projects, to help spread the cost out.

If you use the appliance epoxy, be sure to follow the directions to the letter...regarding time between coats, and let it cure for several days.