Onboard Computer AVG MPG quit working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkerChuck

Second hand vegetarian
Reaction score
I did a search before posting and haven't found anything quite like this one so here goes.

Last week when I did my TOH Saddlesore I decided to switch through the onboard display and instead of temperature see what my fuel economy was according to the computer. I've had it set on temperature pretty much the 5 years I've owned the bike. The "instantaneous mpg" function works but the "avg. mpg" just shows 2 lines where the numbers should display. I was resetting trip 1 with every tank and letting trip 2 run for an overall mileage for the whole trip. Since completion I've reset both trip meters but the "avg mpg" is still showing nothing. All other functions are normal.

Suggestions? Help? Just say screw it and forget about the damn avg mpg function? Even though I don't use it I'd prefer that it worked.I know for a fact it worked in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you reset the "Avg. MPG" meter, it doesn't display any numbers until you have travelled 0.621 miles (exactly one kilometer). It updates every kilometer after that as well. (The mike has metric roots - the miles thing was an afterthought)

Ross,

It hasn't mattered how far I've traveled after resetting trip meters.I left it on that display for several miles. I switched back and forth with the other screens. Checked again after shutting off and restarting bike. I knew from when I first bought it that once you cleared the trip meter it needed some time to "find" itself but it seems this time the function has just quit.

I thought that you probably had waited after resetting but that was the only thing I could think of. If the switch was sticking internally, you might see something like this but I don't know whether you would be able to cycle between modes of that was the case. Try "exercising" the switch a bit. Hard to imagine what could go wrong but still retain the other functions of the display. I used to "play" with the AVG MPG quite a bit but found it was making the ride less fun - trying to be conservative to het the MPG higher. I will occasionally use it after the fuel gauge has gone into count-up mode or to check mileage after doing some maintenance stuff. Not a big deal but that stuff is annoying!

Try resetting the average fuel consumption. You don't reset the average fuel consumption display by resetting the trip meter.

You need to navigate to a display screen that contains the average fuel consumption and press the reset button briefly. This should make the average fuel consumption flash. With that flashing, push and hold the reset button and the display will change to a steady "--.-". Then you have to ride more han a kilometer to calculate an average.

^ Will try when I leave work this afternoon. Right now all I'm getting is the steady __._ even if I let it run for a while. It's not a HUGE deal more of an annoyance because I know it used to work.

Operator error,
winksmiley02.gif
We are getting old Chuck.

Dave

You don't by chance have a Power Commander installed on that 07? If so, the reading will be useless because the PC intercepts the signal going to your injectors and adds or subtracts fuel based on the map in the PC. As far as the bike computer knows you are using the amount of fuel it is calling for, but the PC is generally calling for more fuel.

If you don't have a PC on that 07, I want to know how you tolerate it. I installed the PC-III shortly after buying my 07 due to the horrible abrupt lurch whenever you apply power from a relaxed throttle. Makes it hard to be smooth unless you use the clutch whenever applying power. Coincidentally, I had disconnected my PC over this last weekend to refresh my memory and it was horrible riding the last couple days. I couldn't wait to hook it up again last night and consequently I really enjoyed my ride into work this morning.

No Power Commander. Throttle spring unwind mod performed about 2 years ago when I finally tired of having my wrist hurt after a rally. When I first bought the bike I found it to be pretty abrupt on/off throttle but I guess after nearly 5 years I've adapted and now barely notice it. Perhaps mine is just one of the better ones? I keep after TBS and can't say mines all that bad. I have ridden a few others that were definitely worse.

Fred, your suggestion cleared it up! I don't remember ever having to reset that before but Dave already reminded me I'm getting old so anything is possible.

Went outside at lunch and did the reset on that screen. Left work at 3:00 and within a mile started getting a readout.

Thanks to all!

Nice! Glad to hear it. I reset my avg mpg today just to see how it worked. First time I reset it since when it was new. It was reading 43 mpg, which I figured was OK. When I got home today after burning through a tank and a half of gas it was reading 46 mpg. That seems a little optimistic based on my mental calculations at fill up.

I wonder about the avg MPG in terms of how long a mileage slice is included in the calculation. Based upon my observations, I think it is something like a running average over the last 300 miles or so. It certainly is not average from the last time it was reset. Otherwise, after a dozen tanks, it would be difficult to see any change.

I usually reset mine when I fill up or if I'm on a trip at the end of the trip to see what kind of MPG I was getting, but I usually get mid to upper 30s combo of city and highway more city actually. I should change my sig line to Trapped In Traffic.
weirdsmiley.gif

What do you guys think of the accuracy of the MPG calculator? Mine consistently reads about 2.5MPG higher than what my real economy turns out to be at refill. Is that pretty consistent with what others noticed?

What do you guys think of the accuracy of the MPG calculator? Mine consistently reads about 2.5MPG higher than what my real economy turns out to be at refill. Is that pretty consistent with what others noticed?
Generally pretty good as long as you are just looking at one tank. As I mentioned, above, the function maintains some sort of running average including just the previous xxx miles. Just don't know what xxx is.

Tempest, mine is very close. Like within a 10th of a Mpg.
Ditto here, mine is within a tenth or two.
I've not been that lucky; consistently 2-2.5MPG higher than actual fuel economy...weird.

OTOH, I am getting a real 50+MPG when I tour (in sport mode). I guess that's something.

I've not been that lucky; consistently 2-2.5MPG higher than actual fuel economy...weird.
OTOH, I am getting a real 50+MPG when I tour (in sport mode). I guess that's something.
There have been a couple of trips I've made that both computer readout and calculation were both above 50 mpg. Not hard to do if I ride like I have some sense.