I'm thinking Gen 4 doesn't have TPMS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't need no stinkin' gauge. When the back tire slides around for no reason, I need air. Save $99; use it for gas and hotels on your first ride to Colorado.

(PS: I check tire pressure every three weeks or so, and always before a ride over 4 hours long.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2018 FJR, like every FJR1300 model year, does not have a TPMS, no.
Thanks Warchildand and Heen, I appreciate you taking the time to provide an answer.
punk.gif

Seem other here simply want to express there opinion or tell me what I need, don't need, and how I should spend my money. I expected more from this community.
nea.gif

For the record..... I've ridden all over NA many times, including Colorado, was last there in 2016 on my way to visit a friend in Couer d'Alene, then onto Banff, B. C., ect.. then back to Florida. For 7 years, until 2016, I kept a bike in Germany and would spend 8-10 week touring most of Europe, mostly the Alpine countries, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Italy, even had a romp on the ring.

Been on two wheels for almost 60 years, in retirement riding 20-15K miles annually. About to celebrate the 44 anniversary of my 30th birthday so I may be slowing down sometime soon. I believe TPM is a very import safety feature and has proven to be valuable to me. Two of my current bike have a TPM system, a '15 GSA and a '15 R1200R, they are my go rides for big get aways. The Guzzi V7III Special and Honda 500X do not have TPMS and are used mostly for daily rides, but I did do a fly/ ride to pick up the Guzzi in Ct. and explore the NE, then ride it home to Florida in September 2017.

The conclusion....... it I've got enough riding experience to know what's best for me and no worries about gas and tires. Life is GOOD, VERY GOOD in retirement.
bike.gif

Paul

Thanks Warchildand and Heen, I appreciate you taking the time to provide an answer.
punk.gif

Seem other here simply want to express there opinion or tell me what I need, don't need, and how I should spend my money. I expected more from this community.
nea.gif

For the record..... I've ridden all over NA many times, including Colorado, was last there in 2016 on my way to visit a friend in Couer d'Alene, then onto Banff, B. C., ect.. then back to Florida. For 7 years, until 2016, I kept a bike in Germany and would spend 8-10 week touring most of Europe, mostly the Alpine countries, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Italy, even had a romp on the ring.

Been on two wheels for almost 60 years, in retirement riding 20-15K miles annually. About to celebrate the 44 anniversary of my 30th birthday so I may be slowing down sometime soon. I believe TPM is a very import safety feature and has proven to be valuable to me. Two of my current bike have a TPM system, a '15 GSA and a '15 R1200R, they are my go rides for big get aways. The Guzzi V7III Special and Honda 500X do not have TPMS and are used mostly for daily rides, but I did do a fly/ ride to pick up the Guzzi in Ct. and explore the NE, then ride it home to Florida in September 2017.

The conclusion....... it I've got enough riding experience to know what's best for me and no worries about gas and tires. Life is GOOD, VERY GOOD in retirement.
bike.gif

Paul

Paul,

We are delighted to know TPMS is a critical item for you. Are we to surmise the "44 anniversary of my 30th birthday" is code for your age, 74??

I am 75 years old and have been riding motor bikes since age 15 and never had one with TPMS. Now I know what I have been missing.

Art

punk.gif

nea.gif

bike.gif

Paul

Paul,

We are delighted to know TPMS is a critical item for you. Are we to surmise the "44 anniversary of my 30th birthday" is code for your age, 74??

I am 75 years old and have been riding motor bikes since age 15 and never had one with TPMS. Now I know what I have been missing.

Art
Yes That anniversary is Feb.28th, feel free to send cash!!!!

I'm thrilled that I'm able to "delight" you Art, and others here. We can't miss that which we never had. I remember when folks felt about ABS as you now feel about TPN. Grow up old man.... just Joke'n.
bye.gif

Paul

Once you get over your expectations for this forum, check out Fobo. Its the closest thing to factory tpms, costs far less, and if you should run out of battery between tire changes, 60 seconds and youre covered again. No one is trying to tell you how to spend your money. Some have traveled this path before you and simply share the solution that worked for them....

I have had four flats on the road prior to my installing tpms. The first, second, and fourth could easily have killed me, if I hadnt been fortunate enough to detect them at moderate speed in sparse traffic. The third was on a bike that had an unforgiving suspension in the first place. I had no idea the low profile rear was completely flat until I hit a pothole that would cause a back injury that would take most of a year to heal. So while I didnt particularly want or have tpms for many many miles, it became clear, for me and me alone, that the price for tpms and the need for tpms, given my 20k mile a year average, had made it an easy decision. Around 50k later, Ive had tpms alert me before I left he house that I had a tire with low pressure multiple times. It alerted me to an over temp condition once during Tour of Honor. Not once has it had to detect a failure. But Im glad its there.

I air up and down so often I think a TPMS would drive me nuttier than I already am. I do understand the advantages for some riders. I have on occasion been on roads thinking, is it a tire going slack or is it the road surface and have even pulled off to check with a gauge. So, maybe they are of value for some bikes and riding styles. With a price point to hit for marketing, it would probably take considerable consumer demand for some companies to make them standard or an option on some type bikes. On the other hand, I just can't get into the wifi and bluetooth devices, so I doubt I could use a modern contraption like a TPMS. But I'm sure glad they are available for those who like them.

Once you get over your expectations for this forum, check out Fobo. Its the closest thing to factory tpms, costs far less, and if you should run out of battery between tire changes, 60 seconds and youre covered again. No one is trying to tell you how to spend your money. Some have traveled this path before you and simply share the solution that worked for them....
I have had four flats on the road prior to my installing tpms. The first, second, and fourth could easily have killed me, if I hadnt been fortunate enough to detect them at moderate speed in sparse traffic. The third was on a bike that had an unforgiving suspension in the first place. I had no idea the low profile rear was completely flat until I hit a pothole that would cause a back injury that would take most of a year to heal. So while I didnt particularly want or have tpms for many many miles, it became clear, for me and me alone, that the price for tpms and the need for tpms, given my 20k mile a year average, had made it an easy decision. Around 50k later, Ive had tpms alert me before I left he house that I had a tire with low pressure multiple times. It alerted me to an over temp condition once during Tour of Honor. Not once has it had to detect a failure. But Im glad its there.
It's good to hear from others that understand the value of a TPM Bill. Based on your earlier post I did check out the Fobo wed site, thanks for the lead. Another option is the Garmin solution that sends info to the GPS, no phone required. As soon as new FJR's show up here in SW Florida I'll likely become an owner and then decide the best solution for me. Thanks again for the tip.
smile.png

It's those who don't walk in my shoes and mock my interest in TPM, or those that suggest I buy gas/tires instead, that disappoint me. It's the same as any other forum, don't know why I had higher expectations here...... silly me.
no2.gif

Paul

It's good to hear from others that understand the value of a TPM Bill. Based on your earlier post I did check out the Fobo wed site, thanks for the lead. Another option is the Garmin solution that sends info to the GPS, no phone required. As soon as new FJR's show up here in SW Florida I'll likely become an owner and then decide the best solution for me. Thanks again for the tip. :)
It's those who don't walk in my shoes and mock my interest in TPM, or those that suggest I buy gas/tires instead, that disappoint me. It's the same as any other forum, don't know why I had higher expectations here...... silly me. :no2:

Paul
Something tells me, in your 25 posts, you haven't had much of a chance to learn personalities yet. HUD was just messing with you. Super nice guy, good rider, fun to hang out with and a relentless smart ass. He's also very helpful, when the question requires it. If you came here thinking you're never going to get some sarcasm, you're going to be very disappointed. Take it down a notch, and realize it's not all that serious. FWIW, those of us who know FJRs, or have taken the time to read the spec sheets already knew there is no TPMS on the FJR. Dog-pile Fridays are obviously still very relevant.
This reminds me of people who move away from California, and then gripe because their new neighborhood in Texas is not like their neighborhood in CA.

On my RT, I added nothing except a simple universal ram mount, and jammed an iPhone or old GPS in it. Over the entire time I rode that bike, a lot of miles, I never added or changed a single thing except the ram finger mount. Completely stock. It is that sort of simplicity that I miss, and I envy Hud's steadfast approach, which was once my own. On some bikes, aftermarket stuff is necessary to make it an LD bike. Everything else has to really earn its' keep, lest it merely serve as distracting jewelery. I put shields on the fjr, a seat on the fjr, and they have proven themselves over long days on the road. I put sliders and bag guards on mine, based upon past experience, and they have already paid for themselves. My TPMS journey was backwards. After multiple flats in differing situations, I succumbed to OCD and checked my pressure every day before I rode. Which meant, usually, 365 days minus work travel. I got TPMS to warn me of problems on the road, and that remains its' greatest function. But I still check my pressures the night before or morning of. Without ever taking a knee. Were it not for the cost (and replacement cost), I'd consider garmin tpms heads, but I don't even fire up my gps for commutes. I don't look at anything except the road. And sometimes, the speedometer... Ride safe, and remember that the average rider on fjrforum.com has either an amazing depth of FJR technical knowledge, legendary mileage feats, or both. If they play a little rough, it's a good thing. This ain't youth soccer. :)

On my RT, I added nothing except a simple universal ram mount, and jammed an iPhone or old GPS in it. Over the entire time I rode that bike, a lot of miles, I never added or changed a single thing except the ram finger mount. Completely stock. It is that sort of simplicity that I miss, and I envy Hud's steadfast approach, which was once my own. On some bikes, aftermarket stuff is necessary to make it an LD bike. Everything else has to really earn its' keep, lest it merely serve as distracting jewelery. I put shields on the fjr, a seat on the fjr, and they have proven themselves over long days on the road. I put sliders and bag guards on mine, based upon past experience, and they have already paid for themselves. My TPMS journey was backwards. After multiple flats in differing situations, I succumbed to OCD and checked my pressure every day before I rode. Which meant, usually, 365 days minus work travel. I got TPMS to warn me of problems on the road, and that remains its' greatest function. But I still check my pressures the night before or morning of. Without ever taking a knee. Were it not for the cost (and replacement cost), I'd consider garmin tpms heads, but I don't even fire up my gps for commutes. I don't look at anything except the road. And sometimes, the speedometer... Ride safe, and remember that the average rider on fjrforum.com has either an amazing depth of FJR technical knowledge, legendary mileage feats, or both. If they play a little rough, it's a good thing. This ain't youth soccer.
smile.png
Well I'm not here to play soccer or to hear others pontificate about why my wants are wrong, or that I'm self centered, or how to spend my money, etc.... I'm here to seek the knowledge of experiences FJR owners and to contribute when I'm able. It matters not how many miles folks ride or what they ride, what does matter that folks show other R-E-S-P-E-C-T, simple really. Like the lady said:

Paul

It's good to hear from others that understand the value of a TPM Bill. Based on your earlier post I did check out the Fobo wed site, thanks for the lead. Another option is the Garmin solution that sends info to the GPS, no phone required. As soon as new FJR's show up here in SW Florida I'll likely become an owner and then decide the best solution for me. Thanks again for the tip.
smile.png

It's those who don't walk in my shoes and mock my interest in TPM, or those that suggest I buy gas/tires instead, that disappoint me. It's the same as any other forum, don't know why I had higher expectations here...... silly me.
no2.gif

Paul
Something tells me, in your 25 posts, you haven't had much of a chance to learn personalities yet. HUD was just messing with you. Super nice guy, good rider, fun to hang out with and a relentless smart ass. He's also very helpful, when the question requires it. If you came here thinking you're never going to get some sarcasm, you're going to be very disappointed. Take it down a notch, and realize it's not all that serious. FWIW, those of us who know FJRs, or have taken the time to read the spec sheets already knew there is no TPMS on the FJR. Dog-pile Fridays are obviously still very relevant.
This reminds me of people who move away from California, and then gripe because their new neighborhood in Texas is not like their neighborhood in CA.
I'm sure there are many "super nice" guys here, and based on your comments HUD is likely one of them. It's been about 8 years since I last played here when I owned a '06 FJR and your right, I haven't relearned

smile.png

no2.gif

Paul
I'm sure there are many 'super nice guys" and maybe gals, here. Based on your comments I have no doubt that HUD is one of them. Your right, it's been about 8 years since I was last here when I owned an '06 FJR. I have indeed forgotten about the personalities from the past and have no experience with the newer personalities. Now I'll learn about them and they can learn about mine if they choose. As motorcycling enthusiast we have much in common and should get along just fine.
smile.png

I'm sooooo glad I didn't ask about keyless ride.........
no.gif

Paul

HotRodZilla posted:

Love you, too ZillaBear.
love.gif
I, too, am amazed that newbies come here and complain about shit before settling in and learning how we chit-chat.

Mr. roadscum: You can kiss my ass, sweetheart. I am looking forward to learning about your personality. As HRZ mentioned, a glance at Yamaha's official website, or a quick-and-easy-search on this website or the internet would have answered your question. And to be perfectly legit, we are NOT Yamaha representatives and do not know if Momma Yama will be putting TPMS on the very next 2018 FJR to roll off the assembly line.

I still don't need no stinkin' TPMS, and doubt I ever will. It's just one more thing to malfunction and cause me a heart attack. TCLOCK, baby. An acronym to live by. If nothing else, kick your tires before you saddle up; if they're not hard as a rock, they need air.