EOM 2012 dates?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Lewisburg for the 2 EOMs that were held there plus have stopped at the (former)Briar Inn a couple of times when passing through the area. I can't talk to the management but the motel layout (outside doors), 2 restaurants next door, gas station, bar and restaurant on site, and huge parking lot lend itself to being a great place to gather at night for bench racing and lying. I'd go back there in a minute.

I haven't made any plans as of yet this year but I must nail something down by the end of January. I keep wanting to head out west for some reason but it will require a couple of weeks to make the run. My other dilemma is that I have to burn up a couple of weeks with my timeshare this year also. I have stayed at the Von Trapp lodges in in VT and that is a thought for NERDS week to do and would kill two birds with one stone.

Still planning,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not had the pleasure of doing a EOM, but I want to say that Lewisburg WV sounds great - lots of good roads in the area, and it's but a good days ride from my house!

And, I'll get Hoagy down from Moundsville for a really good time!

I know what it is about Lewisburg - it's Jim and his mystery fruit!

so here's the rundown -

EOM 2003 - ?

EOM 2004 – Townsend, TN

EOM 2005 – Townsend, TN

EOM 2006 – Boone, NC

EOM 2007 – Brier Inn, Lewisburg, WV

EOM 2008 – Brier Inn, Lewisburg, WV

EOM 2009 – Holiday Inn, Johnson City, TN

EOM2010 – NAFO – Marriot, Knoxville, TN

EOM 2011 – Cumberland Falls State Resort Park, Corbin, KY

EOM 2012 – (Suggestions thusfar include: Lewisburg, WV, Staunton, Harrisonburg, Blacksburg, Radford, Lexington, Lynchburg VA, Bluefield, WV, Kingsport, TN, Bristol, TN)

Lewisburg holds water; we know the venue, area, etc. I believe Western VA holds some promise, but will take some serious recon of the area to find a suitable location.

Here's my .02 cents. I've been eyeing Ashville, NC area, just to the south, towards Henderson. Good day trip launch point putting North Georgia within reach, as well as Western VA, and closer destinations like Boone, NC and Shady Valley, and western NC. We haven't been back to NC (based out of at least) since 2006.

A poll right now I think would put Lewisburg out front. and it would put me back in range and with a good probability of getting my photographer back to that little spot in VA so I can update my avatar picture on Vader....

Wayne

All good suggestions. Lewisburg is still a good spot. Shady Valley would be nice, but I do know that the venues are limitied that could host more than 60 to 70. I would step up and work on this, but I can't commit to the time right now due to still working on my plans for a cross country trip putting NAFO in the middle.

Dave - What you think are cameras are traffic sensors. They have swithed to using those instead of the ground loops. I don't know of any traffic cameras in that area. I thought they were cameras also when they first went up. They have been an improvement in most areas, because the ground loops don't always pick up motorcycles.

Joe - FYYFF! ;)

All the places listed would do. Lewisburg, WV and Boone, NC were both very good locations. I like the idea of Ashville, NC. It was the location of the Honda Hoot for the first few years until it got too big and moved to Knoxville, TN. It has all the good things going for it, and it would be a nice change. Also there is a really good pizza/pub in town with a good selection of Micro-brews on tap! :drinks:

I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard any suggestions from the folks in places like New England, upper state NY the Ozark area, etc. :unsure: I guess they're happy with middle Appalachia? Nothing wrong with that.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard any suggestions from the folks in places like New England, upper state NY the Ozark area, etc. :unsure:

I guess they're happy with middle Appalachia? Nothing wrong with that.
Fred W tried to host EOM in New England but was told that the current folks that were involved in hosting EOM that they wanted to keep the event closer to the center of the east coast. It was at this time Fred W took it upon himself along with some other New Englanders to host the first NERDS event last summer. The rest is history as they say.

I rode with Wheaton & Griff on a multi-day ride inbetween SE Ohio & EOM. The roads in West Virginia are a treat. Just watch out for the coal trucks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill!!! I knew you'd be along shortly to answer the '03 thang'... being an old timer (in the FJR sense, that is)

& Asheville is an awesome area!

& I plan to attend whenever & wherever the meet is at. Plan it & they will come.

The next EOM I shall be more prepared and not get drunk as a skunk the night before. Got to the Cumberland campgroud at 3 am and then it rained the next 2 days. Rode 300 miles 1 day and had monkey butt. So anywhere is fine with me for the next EOM have a whole bunch of make up riding to do. :rolleyes:

That's the place - Peaks of Otter Lodge was the place that did not have the lodging capacity for our average numbers - it is on my radar as a stop over place or smaller group meet though, looks like a great place.
Just FYI- Peaks has no cell signal, no WiFi, no TVs in the rooms, and no phones in the rooms (as of my stay there in October), for anyone to whom that might be important. Beautiful, quiet place to stay, there are pay phones outside on each building and in the basement of the restaurant/gift shop building. Pisgah Inn (mile 408) does have a Verizon signal and is in the process (according to their web site https://www.pisgahinn.com/) of installing WiFi, to be available next year, again to those who consider this important.

Dave - What you think are cameras are traffic sensors. They have swithed to using those instead of the ground loops. I don't know of any traffic cameras in that area. I thought they were cameras also when they first went up. They have been an improvement in most areas, because the ground loops don't always pick up motorcycles.

Joe - FYYFF! ;)
Well thanks for the info on the traffic sensors. They sure as shit look like camera's to me tho. Dam! and to think I kept slowing down.

Sheeeeez, :lol:

Well thanks for the info on the traffic sensors. They sure as shit look like camera's to me tho. Dam! and to think I kept slowing down.

Sheeeeez, :lol:
I believe thay are actually cameras. The image is processed to determine if a vehicle is waiting for the light. At least that's the way the ones in NJ work. They are not used for enforcement, but I suppose they could be.

Also, there are traffic cameras out there for speed enforcement. I know of one in particular in Bristol, TN. :angry:

Switzerland Inn's tent sites

Vertical-Mountain-Camping.jpg