Photo

HID's and Modulators

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: What is better for visibility? HID's or Modulators? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

What is better for visibility, HID's or Modulators?

1. HID's (1 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Stock with Modulators (1 votes [33.33%] - View)

3. HID's with modulators (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. A flashing strobe light mounted to the top of your helmet (1 votes [33.33%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 worney

worney

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Just wondering if they will work together. Has anyone tried them? I love the modulators and rarely drive after dark so I would probably keep the modulators over the HID's. I just don't want to go through tearing everything apart to see if they even work or frying the HID's in the experiment if someone else has already done the leg work.

-worney
Southern Alberta.
Almost in the Rockies (but still too damn flat).

#2 RadioHowie

RadioHowie

Beemerwho???

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts
  • 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Sorry, but I think the poll topic is somewhat flawed...

You don't specify who's visibility?

Others visibility of you, then modulators beat HIDs.

Your visibility at night, the HIDs beat everything but sunlight.

edit: And neither HIDs or modulators are gonna do dick to stop someone T-Boning or Ass-Ending you.

Think about THAT for a while!
"Screw you guys....I'm going home riding!" Darksider #15
The whole chicken strips thing is BS. - HaulinAshe 7/29/2010
Man, there's a lot of info here if I just shut my pie hole and read. -- madmatt 8/5/2010

#3 worney

worney

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

1334720936[/url]' post='954759']
Sorry, but I think the poll topic is somewhat flawed...

You don't specify who's visibility?

Others visibility of you, then modulators beat HIDs.

Your visibility at night, the HIDs beat everything but sunlight.

edit: And neither HIDs or modulators are gonna do dick to stop someone T-Boning or Ass-Ending you.

Think about THAT for a while!

Posted Image Just did the poll as a joke. The real reason I started the topic was to see if anyone had some input on the possible interference between the modulators and the HID's. I guess the I just assumed that people would understand that I ment my visibility to oncoming traffic during the day seeing as headlights point forward and modulators are disabled in the dark . Posted Image I am well aware of the risks from the side and behind which is why I try to mitigate these risks as much as I can using the typical defensive driving techniques and conspicuity.
Southern Alberta.
Almost in the Rockies (but still too damn flat).

#4 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) N. America
  • 2005 A (Gen I) N. America

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

The real reason I started the topic was to see if anyone had some input on the possible interference between the modulators and the HID's.

It is prevailing wisdom that modulators and HIDs aren't very compatible. The former burn out very quickly. Try modulator hid site:fjrforum.com at Google to see various discussions.
My LD Blog, IBA #332
2014ES "Deep Thought", 2005 ABS "Heart of Gold", 2005 "Zaphod" & 2013 Husqvarana TR650 Strada "Noxeema"
wfo04.gif through wfo09.gifBMR.jpg150K%2005CLUB.jpg322616.png
Seat Review here (click on About Me) or here. Gen 1 LED conversion for instrument lights here and taillights here. Watts of radar detectors and GPS here.
Google Search is your FJRForum friend! Try something like best tire FJR site:fjrforum.com at google.com

#5 garyahouse

garyahouse

newbs need the forum

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

In Florida, all school busses have strobe lights mounted on the roof. Not sure about your state. And since some of us are getting to be as big as a bus...

Gary
darksider #44
FJR: the most fun you can legally have.

#6 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

No, you cannot use a headlight modulator on HIDs. They are mutually exclusive. So delete that option from your poll.

My (somewhat biased) belief is that HIDs are roughly as attention getting as headlight modulators are in daylight, but with a few key advantages.

1) Modulators do nothing for your conspicuousness at night. HIDs still do help some.

2) HIDs will actually improve your night time vision by throwing more light down the road. Modulators do nothing here.

3) Modulators can, arguably, send the exact wrong message to oncoming traffic who may not be used to seeing flashing headlights. HIDs will never be misinterpreted.

YMMV

-Fred W                 nerd.gif    <----  (Click me!)      We're just getting started...    VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg

#7 RiderX

RiderX

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

I think it's common knowledge at this point, but my god!, daytime visibility with HID(s) is significantly and noticeably improved over stock. I've been running HID in the left and Halogen in the right just to compare differences, etc.

Not the original point of your thread, but since modulators and HID no bueno, thought I'd throw this in.
IBA# - 462
CBA#10

#8 Eric L

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • 2014A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:52 AM

Just wondering if they will work together. Has anyone tried them? I love the modulators and rarely drive after dark so I would probably keep the modulators over the HID's. I just don't want to go through tearing everything apart to see if they even work or frying the HID's in the experiment if someone else has already done the leg work.

-worney

You can't modulate HIDs.

I have a modulator installed as well as very bright LEDs on my forks. I leave the LEDs on during the day. I do think they help. However, flip the modulator on and you can easily see inattentive people notice you. In high traffic urban areas, I use the modulator. The reason I dont use it always during the day is because invariably the guy in front of me starts doing 5 under the speed limit when I turn the damn thing on. Every foreigner on the road (and there are many around DC) starts doing 5mph and pulls over thinking they are getting a ticket.

-- it's hard to tell where the bike stops and the farkles begin --

Eric

#9 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  • 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

One issue I have with using HIDs in place of regular headlights is that they are so bright that they annoy other traffic to distraction even during the day. If you aim them low this is less of a problem, but then it defeats some of the benefit.

My preference is to use the stock headlights with a modulator and use HIDs (or LEDs, or halogens) as auxiliary lighting. This way you can have both.
'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#10 MrM0t0

MrM0t0

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • 2008 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

-worney

You can't modulate HIDs.

I have a modulator installed as well as very bright LEDs on my forks. I leave the LEDs on during the day. I do think they help. However, flip the modulator on and you can easily see inattentive people notice you. In high traffic urban areas, I use the modulator. The reason I dont use it always during the day is because invariably the guy in front of me starts doing 5 under the speed limit when I turn the damn thing on. Every foreigner on the road (and there are many around DC) starts doing 5mph and pulls over thinking they are getting a ticket.

"Every foreigner on the road (and there are many around DC) starts doing 5mph and pulls over thinking they are getting a ticket"

That's half of the benefit of my modulator. I refer to it as the lane sweeper.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 RiderX

RiderX

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

-worney

You can't modulate HIDs.

"Every foreigner on the road (and there are many around DC) starts doing 5mph and pulls over thinking they are getting a ticket"

That's half of the benefit of my modulator. I refer to it as the lane sweeper.

That's funny.
IBA# - 462
CBA#10

#12 bramfrank

bramfrank

BramFrank

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) World

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Where to start?

I'll assume that you know that you can't modulate HIDs (that didn't stop one person I know of from trying). I'll also assume that you know that modulators do not flash at night by definition and design. Some modulators allow you to wire them to the low beam, which IMO is a waste, since there is little daytime conspicuity when not on high beam. Other modulators offer pass to flash features which are, strictly speaking not legal. I've posted some details on what's available in a couple of threads on the board on the topic:

http://www.fjrforum....ndpost&p=513404

I have conventional H4 bulbs in the reflector with a modulator installed and HID driving lights. As far as I'm concerned that is the only way to go for forward facing lighting.
Posted Image Posted Image - Yep, TWICE!!