'05 won't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, she's alive! :yahoo: There was an o-ring between the outer shell and the inner housing. I don't think that o-ring was seated well. Which was allowing the fuel to just blow straight back into the tank instead of out the high-pressure fitting.

When I put it together last time I just left it in and popped it back together. This time I fished out the o-ring and put it on the other housing and also put the small plastic piece thats behind it, on the outer shell. When the parts went back together, I did feel some friction so I'm pretty sure that it sealed up.

You can kinda see the o-ring I'm talking about in SkooterG's link - the 8th pic down. I did take some pictures of the parts but forgot to bring my camera to work. I'll try to remember to post them tonight maybe.

Just an fyi, the whole reason I was in the fuel pump at all was because it was seeping fuel from the return fitting. If it got wiggled at all it would drip. When I got it all apart I found an o-ring in there that was the culprit. The o-ring had hardened and taken on a square profile. If you're under your tank I would just suggest checking that so you don't find out later you had a fuel leak.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, and Howie that pump looks really f'd up.... :eek:mg:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, she's alive! :yahoo: There was an o-ring between the outer shell and the inner housing. I don't think that o-ring was seated well. Which was allowing the fuel to just blow straight back into the tank instead of out the high-pressure fitting.
Damn Josh, I don't think anybody thought of that, but you're right...the top half of the fuel pump seats in the bottom flange that bolts to the tank and seats with an O-ring.

Didn't realize you'd taken the fuel pump apart. Big question is, why?

'Howie

ps: Yep, my pump was seriously borked.

For those too lazy to click Skoot's link, here's the pic Josh is talking about:

Bulkheadfittingfarkle041.jpg

O-ring plainly visible in the well where the top half of the pump mates with the bottom flange.

Just another good reason to consider replacing, or at least checking, O-rings when things that normally don't come apart are separated. :)

Damn Josh, I don't think anybody thought of that, but you're right...the top half of the fuel pump seats in the bottom flange that bolts to the tank and seats with an O-ring.

'Howie

ps: Yep, my pump was seriously borked.
That's because the return line fitting was leaking...

'Howie

That's because the return line fitting was leaking...
Ahhh...I read that, but ASS-u-me'd it was leaking at the hose-to-nipple junction, not at the nipple to housing junction.

Got it. :thumbsupsmiley: