'07 FJR Versus Kawasaki '08 Conours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abarron576

Reaction score
Thought I'd pass on that the next (December) issue of MCN is publishing a head to head between the two. SHould be interesting to see what they have to say.

It is noted on the back page of the November issue under the "Next Month" heading. If you can get other articles "online", like this month's information on the Versys 650, then it should be available. I guess we'll have to wait 30 days or so. :unknw:

No need to wait. Motorcyclist has already done it. The Fudjer placed second in the shootout. Honda's ST was fourth and the Beemer GT was 3rd. But like Nelly say...."Two is not a winner and three nobody remembers..." your beloved FJR was toast. Here's the results... :(

Fudger2s.jpg

Connie1s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to wait. Motorcyclist has already done it. The Fudjer placed second in the shootout. Honda's ST was fourth and the Beemer GT was 3rd. But like Nelly say...."Two is not a winner and three nobody remembers..." your beloved FJR was toast. Here's the results... :(
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............toast!

Reading Comprehension 101: Motorcycle Consumer News is not Motorcyclist.

That particular article in Motorcyclist has been discussed here at great length, if not depth. Most of us have been around here, and motorcycling in general, long enough to read and understand and have participated in the discussion on the linked thread.

Many of us value what MCN has to say since they usually aren't driven by hype and advertising money as some of the more "popular" periodicals are. And some of us would rather trust the riders and writers from MCN than those driven by the latest "Gee-gollee-whiz-bang googah". (Like Mitch Boehm, Mr. Honda-never-made-a poor-motorcycle, who stated why he rode the FJR home from the published comparo rather than the Kawi or the ST1300).

Actually, as to what bike is toast or what ever adjective one would care to use will be determined by more long-term testing by actual owners and what they report are the shortcomings of any particluar platform. The results of that survey will be revenue collected by the manufacturers and dealers and the amount of warranty work and dealer maintenance required. Any pure emotional response won't matter one whit when it comes down to the base expenditure vs. value.

I wonder why Yamaha doesn't step up to a 3 year warranty like the Concours and BMWs?
Now THAT is an excellent point and question.

At least you can get an extra 4 years of warranty on the FJR (for a total fo 5) for relatively cheap (approx $400).

That particular article in Motorcyclist has been discussed here at great length, if not depth. Most of us have been around here, and motorcycling in general, long enough to read and understand and have participated in the discussion on the linked thread.

Many of us value what MCN has to say since they usually aren't driven by hype and advertising money as some of the more "popular" periodicals are. And some of us would rather trust the riders and writers from MCN than those driven by the latest "Gee-gollee-whiz-bang googah". (Like Mitch Boehm, Mr. Honda-never-made-a poor-motorcycle, who stated why he rode the FJR home from the published comparo rather than the Kawi or the ST1300).

Actually, as to what bike is toast or what ever adjective one would care to use will be determined by more long-term testing by actual owners and what they report are the shortcomings of any particluar platform. The results of that survey will be revenue collected by the manufacturers and dealers and the amount of warranty work and dealer maintenance required. Any pure emotional response won't matter one whit when it comes down to the base expenditure vs. value.
What a nice job of responding in a diplomatic way Mike. My mom always said the art of diplomacy was telling them to got to hell and have them looking foward to the trip. :D

<sniff> <sniff> Huh, do I smell copyrighted material being displayed here..?? :unsure:

<sniff> <sniff> Huh, do I smell copyrighted material being displayed here..?? :unsure:
When I do display copyrighted material, I do so in quotes, giving the source, page number and author. I guess I'll be waiting for Iggys PM warning me..... :huh:

Mike,

Very nice take on the politics of a lot of magazines. Cody is a FRAUD... He is a C14 owner.. He is not here looking for honest information BUT he is advertising for his C14.

Hahahahahahaha.... God I wish I had that much time on my hands.

He and his C14 sound pretty insecure!!

WW

Oh ya by the way,

He actually just came clean and apologized for being a jerk off. Check it out:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...26777&st=80

I wonder why Yamaha doesn't step up to a 3 year warranty like the Concours and BMWs?
:unknw:

One possible perspective—realizing of course there are many others besides merely cost, offered as an opinion, could be that it has something to do with failure rates and modes identified by means of a reliability-engineering program. Perhaps the life-cycle curve for the rate of genuine failures (mfg. related defects) is an entirely acceptable (to the mfg.) “bath-tub curve”.

When I do display copyrighted material, I do so in quotes, giving the source, page number and author. I guess I'll be waiting for Iggys PM warning me..... :huh:
I was alluding to NumbNutsConnie whom posted the scanned Motorcyclist pages. Unless he has express permission from that publication to post them here, I believe this woud constitute a unauthorized reprint for public consumption which is a violation of most copyright laws.
look-at-this-069.gif
Now I'm not an IPR attorney, but I might stay at a Holiday Inn Express in a couple of weeks..!
lol-021.gif

Oh ya by the way,He actually just came clean and apologized for being a jerk off. Check it out:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...26777&st=80
Wellll, I didn't read where HE said he was an owner. Until then I am going to continue to give as balanced a perspective as I can. There are probably others who haven't made up their minds and would like as honest a comparison as we can give rather than the more childish and blustering responses some choose to give. Perhaps they will read some of the more reasoned and introspective opinions.

In the end, the 3 Japanese STs are fairly close and mainly have small differences to fill different riders needs and desires. A long time ago, when there were few websites dedicated to FJRs, those who did post and interact took the "high road". I'm just enough of a dinosaur to believe that is the best way.

YMMV

I was alluding to NumbNutsConnie whom posted the scanned Motorcyclist pages. Unless he has express permission from that publication to post them here, I believe this woud constitute a unauthorized reprint for public consumption which is a violation of most copyright laws.
MLCavassa, you'd be correct, sir. I missed that point. Definitely a copyright violation.

No need to wait. Motorcyclist has already done it. The Fudjer placed second in the shootout. Honda's ST was fourth and the Beemer GT was 3rd.
Just to put the accuracy of this rag in focus:

The GT did not change this year.

The FJR did not change this year.

IE same comparo as they did last year. The GT beat the FJR hands down last year. This year, the same bikes (and guessing riders) the FJR wins over the GT :blink: :blink: .

The ST is in its spot consistantly on a yearly bassis, The Feej is #1 or #2 depending on who is new for that year. Any guess where it will fall next year without any competition redesign? :rolleyes:

Also, as in last years test, the mag test the previous year bike vs new model year. The 08 FJR is not againts the 08 Con.

The pully was redesigned for "more controlled" delivery, etc.

Just a thought on Cody's graph for HP/tq. We have seen better dyno (read smoother) for the Feej that what they posted.

possible "surging" ECU? I wonder if the same bike would post like that after the recall? We'll never know, but just a thought.

No need to wait. Motorcyclist has already done it. The Fudjer placed second in the shootout. Honda's ST was fourth and the Beemer GT was 3rd.
Just to put the accuracy of this rag in focus:

The GT did not change this year.

The FJR did not change this year.

IE same comparo as they did last year. The GT beat the FJR hands down last year. This year, the same bikes (and guessing riders) the FJR wins over the GT :blink: :blink: .

The ST is in its spot consistantly on a yearly bassis, The Feej is #1 or #2 depending on who is new for that year. Any guess where it will fall next year without any competition redesign? :rolleyes:

Also, as in last years test, the mag test the previous year bike vs new model year. The 08 FJR is not againts the 08 Con.

The pully was redesigned for "more controlled" delivery, etc.

Just a thought on Cody's graph for HP/tq. We have seen better dyno (read smoother) for the Feej that what they posted.

possible "surging" ECU? I wonder if the same bike would post like that after the recall? We'll never know, but just a thought.
No, the GT was not invited. The comparo included the RT for whatever reason, perhaps price? The GT should have been the bike in the comparo, and would have probably bested both the FJR and the C14. Of course, that comes at a $8-10k premium, so it should. They really ought to throw in a hummer for that uplift...

-BD

No, the GT was not invited. The comparo included the RT for whatever reason, perhaps price? The GT should have been the bike in the comparo, and would have probably bested both the FJR and the C14. Of course, that comes at a $8-10k premium, so it should. They really ought to throw in a hummer for that uplift...
-BD
B-b-b-b-b-b-ut you get a "roundel". :rolleyes: And, like HD, its an image thing... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts