07 Not Starting Part II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might also try looking at the pins inside the connectors your inspecting.

I have seen connectors that were fastened correctly with one pin either pushed back

inside the connector making it come up short of its connection or folded over. Look closely!

My 2cents.

You might also try looking at the pins inside the connectors your inspecting.I have seen connectors that were fastened correctly with one pin either pushed back

inside the connector making it come up short of its connection or folded over. Look closely!

My 2cents.
gunny

I removed the front cowling to do a bunch of wiring, and I found 2 (of the many) harness plugs had green connectors. There was one pin in each plug that had oxidized (which I cleaned with WD 40 & compressed air). Everything on my bike works but if I have a weird electrical problem in the future I'm going to check these connectors. I think there are 2 on the left side under the glove box, 2 on left side back between the radiator fill neck & frame(these were corroded), and 2 on right side in front of the battery
A.C.

Didn't I see a thread about ignition problems just llike this that required a new switch?

Today during the "warm" spell up here in the mountains I took off the fairings and cowl. By the way, it's funny we say front cowl, like, is there a rear cowl? :rolleyes:

I checked every wire, connection, tubing, whatever, and put it all back together. Same thing... everything works but the starter and when I press the emergency flasher only the left one blinks. I suppose the next step is to take of the gas tank (again) and dig under the popcorn and see if something there is unplugged.

I'm really getting tired of this. Brand new bike and the only thing I did to the bike was add Fiamm horns and loosen up the throtle spring under the tank. I'll call the dealer again tomorrow and see if they have any new answers.

That's the fun part! It was running until YOU did something. There must be a connector unplugged or re-plugged incorrectly.

I'd start by tracing the non-functioning signal. Once you answer "WHY", you might solve your problem.

I'm suspecting at this point a bent pin, or a pushed pin. Check every connector you disconnected inside and out, and make sure all pins are as they should be. And DON'T reinstall anything until you have that sucker running. Good luck.

JC

It sounds like you are checking all the connectors in the area where you were working. Since you haven't found the problem there, look elsewhere. Maybe something else is wrong.

Have you checked for loose/damaged/pinched wires or connectors in the handlebar and switch area?

Have you tried bypassing the starter switch to see if the bike will crank over?

Go through the procedure in the FSM, and eliminate the steps one at a time. You will find the problem.

You might also try looking at the pins inside the connectors your inspecting.I have seen connectors that were fastened correctly with one pin either pushed back

My 2cents.
+1, and just the process of disconnecting and firmly reconnecting all these connectors may restore an intermittent connection.

I always think along the lines of "what's the last thing I did?"

Good Luck.

There seems to be a section of this thread missing. I believe CRMH Eagle found the problem. It had been previously asked more than once, 'what was the last thing you did' and I also mentioned that it should be impossible for a good wiring harness to produce his light outage pattern.

IIRC, CRMH Eagle spoke with a dealership tech who suggested he look for cut or broken wires. CRMH Eagle then inspected his harness and discovered that he had accidentally cut 3 wires when snipping a zip-tie off the harness. After fixing the wires everything has been right with the world.

Edited to add:

CRMH Eagle started a new thread to say >>IT'S FIXED<<

Last edited by a moderator: