100,000 mile service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread - Funny how some pay extra attention to stuff I don't (sparking plugs) yet I replaced my suspension with GPS early on and rebuild it at a minimum of 1x per year, or about 30k miles?

I sure wish I knew exactly how many miles I have on 06, it's on it's 3rd odo, and the info was destroyed in a deer wreck. Poor :fuck: Bambi.

That... is... just... impressive!

I'm at 2k miles now, but look out, I aim to catch up.

I didn't see clutch replacement on the list, still on original?

Nice work....100k is some serious milage.

How 'bout the brakes...cam chain tensioner...brake and clutch hoses?

You might clean and lube that swing arm pivot bearing as well....

You said the BT 021 were junk, why specificaly were they bad? Cupping ( which by the way is air pressure problem mostly) grip bad. I run them on my GSXR 1k and I can say they are awsome, in the canyons, great grip and feel. 9k on a tire, excellent considering they cost 88 bucks.

Missed a couple of things.. actually did 2 valve inspections...... Radiator is hammered from all the road crap masshed into it. just a matter of time before it goes. Spark plugs are a quick change... some have been cleaned and reused but not more than 8k on them... I also removed the header pipe about 40k back for I had a huge dent in it... had it repaired and I put it back on... since then I have been watching the number 4 cyl... as that was the cyl.. that the dent was on at the 90 at the bottom of the header pipe.... little color diff on the plug but valve inspection looks good. Rear drive oil is a quick change as well.. I change mostly to keep fresh oil in for the benifit of seals that exist. Have not touched the rear suspension. It could use it but im ok with the ride... If I spent more time in the canyons or on track I would have replaced it a looooong time ago..

Plug wires was mostlikly self induced from chaning plugs... the wires are a bit short.. Overtime they started showing some wear... Air filter ...... yup... I commute rain or shine.... rain eats them up

As for the milleage it is 85% commuting LA freeways... the rest is in the canyons..... average about 90 per day from Sherman Oaks to Long Beach... being that I dont like driving my car to work.. Preventive Maint... is a must.. couple other things I missed was 3 windshield circuit breakers... no biggie until the breaker pops and it is stuck in an annoying spot ;)

quick note on tires... just my thoughts I put about half the time on the old BT020's and now on the BT021's the 21 front is a Piece of Crap! was getting about 9-10k on a front and since they changed it now im down to about 6k and the thing is hard as a rock and little traction after aboub 4500 miles.. the rear tire is ok for sport touring but i hate the fronts... I dont notice a diffrence to the rear tire.... And its not an air pressure issue with the front tire... Just a crap tire :) thats my vent for the morning... off to work :)

Oh yes and same battery... cold mornings is making me think about changing it ;)

You said the BT 021 were junk, why specificaly were they bad? Cupping ( which by the way is air pressure problem mostly) grip bad. I run them on my GSXR 1k and I can say they are awsome, in the canyons, great grip and feel. 9k on a tire, excellent considering they cost 88 bucks....
You'll find many on this forum, including me, have come to the decision that on the front, the BT021 is simply unsuitable for the FJR, though fine on many other bikes.

As an example, read this thread.

The front is OK for a couple of thousand miles, then it's down-hill, with nasty handling, until you start wondering what is wrong with the bike.

The rear BT021 is fine, and works well with, for instance, an Avon Storm ST front.

There, that should put this thread into the NEPRT catagory ...

You said the BT 021 were junk, why specificaly were they bad? Cupping ( which by the way is air pressure problem mostly) grip bad. I run them on my GSXR 1k and I can say they are awsome, in the canyons, great grip and feel. 9k on a tire, excellent considering they cost 88 bucks.

Has knothing to do with air pressure.. I have run every air pressure combo on the front 021's and they are POS!! good they work for your GSXR.....

I found a bran new 020 left on a shelf at one of the dealers I use and threw it on and just replaced it after 15k with no issues... While the 021 will work on some bikes it is not meant to be on the FJR.... but does not matter Ive learened to ride with the POS and will wear the next one down to the steel belt and then send it back to the factory and let them figure out how to make a better tire. :)

Dont try that at home!

You said the BT 021 were junk, why specificaly were they bad? Cupping ( which by the way is air pressure problem mostly) grip bad. I run them on my GSXR 1k and I can say they are awsome, in the canyons, great grip and feel. 9k on a tire, excellent considering they cost 88 bucks....
You'll find many on this forum, including me, have come to the decision that on the front, the BT021 is simply unsuitable for the FJR, though fine on many other bikes.

As an example, read this thread.

The front is OK for a couple of thousand miles, then it's down-hill, with nasty handling, until you start wondering what is wrong with the bike.

The rear BT021 is fine, and works well with, for instance, an Avon Storm ST front.

There, that should put this thread into the NEPRT catagory ...
FJR+Diablo Strada = perfect match.

Too bad Pirelli is phasing it out in favor of the Angel ST although reviews of it are good, as is the case for the Diablo Rosso if you prefer a compound more on the "Sport" side.

Latest posts