180 tire widths

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just been looking at 180 tire widths and I see the manufacturers have tolerances which can vary from 170 to 190 for a 180/55-17 tire.Avon as far as I can see are the only company that state there tire widths and there 180 for example is actually 188. Anyone know of a website which has this info for all brands of tire?.

The best site that I know of is www.denniskirk.com although it can be a slow process to research tires since you have to look up each tire individually....but they usually have very detailed information about each tire in the specifications.

This is something I have been giving a lot of thought to recently. My PR4GT is much narrower "looking" than Dad's PR3. The PR4GT also has a very round profile, the PR3 much flatter. I think that the width of the tire is not quite as important as the shape or profile. I do not think I can lean far enough to reach the edge of the PR4GT, I have some wide chicken strips. The PR3 on Dad's bike is scuffed to the edge.

I wonder how long before this one hits NEPRT?

I find that Dennis Kirk did not show a width for the PR4 or PR4GT.

Michelin PR3 was 7.48 inches wide on a 5.50 inch rim.

Bridgestone BT-021 7.28/5.5

Bridgestone BT-021B 7.2/5.5

Bridgestone T-30 7.2/5.5

Bridgestone BT-023F 7.2/5.5

I just did a very inaccurate tape measurement of my rear PR4GT and it is definitely less than 7 inches wide. I would say about 6.75 inches wide. You can clearly see the difference in width with my FJR parked next to Dad's.

Seriously, why does it matter? The effect on handling with a little either way won't be much. A lot of us are using a 190/55 anyway, and the biggest effect is raising the bike a hair. I would bet the actual tire size from one lot to the next will also be different, so the chances of getting exact tires is nearly impossible.

Why worry about one more thing? I'm sure Rossi and Marquez and the lot have some concern about the exact width of their tires, but I don't see that in this platform. A new tire will always feel better than the tire it replaced, and by the time it doesn't, a rider will have its handling characteristics down anyway.

Just my worthless opinion...

Since I have had the PR4 GT on the bike a few have asked me if I have the correct tire on the rear.. Well... Of course I know I have but the PR4 is a quite narrow tire at 172 mm wide hence the question re tire widths.I love the Michelin's performance and this question is purely about the look.

Since I have had the PR4 GT on the bike a few have asked me if I have the correct tire on the rear.. Well... Of course I know I have but the PR4 is a quite narrow tire at 172 mm wide hence the question re tire widths.I love the Michelin's performance and this question is purely about the look.

The shape of the mounted tire makes more difference to me, on the FJ09 a PP's V shape makes it less planted at speed and that bike likes a flatter fat tire.Twitchy is not fun.

On the FJR the V shaped profile wakes up the turn in and it won't fall in to slow corners. PR and long mileage stuff looks wider on that bike, seems to slow handling.

V shaped stuff usually comes with the sportier compounds and I get 4500 miles on a rear PP4 which is fine with me.

A 190 really slowed turning, the GT rubber is rock hard but if you are going straight most of the time most don't notice.

A 190 really slowed turning, the GT rubber is rock hard but if you are going straight most of the time most don't notice.
If a 190 slowed your turning, you got a 190/50 instead of a 190/55. A 190/55 pinches the tire some creating a more V shaped tire. Rubber compound has nothing to do with size and more to do with type of tire.

gazza, thanks for posting the reason behind this thread. I was curious as to what triggered this.

Like I posted earlier, you can clearly see the difference between my PR4GT and Dad's PR3. I have not had any traction issues with the PR4GT's round profile and I do notice it being quick to turn in. I hesitate to compare the turn in and feel as compared to Dad's '07 with the PR3 because the bikes are so different suspension wise.

I am a bit irritated that I paid for a 180 mm tire and received a 172 mm tire. That 8 mm Michelin cheated me has not made any difference at all in my enjoyment of the bike.

If the look is important to you, many forum members are running the 190 width and liking it.

Redfish,

I was pleased to hear your assessment of the improved turn-in rate of the PR4GT tires. I put a set of PR3's on my 07 and ate them up in 1,800 miles. I then put on a set of PR4GT's and at first I was not pleased with the narrower look, but after the first ride on a twisty road I was extremely surprised with the vastly improved turn-in rate.

I still do a lot of road racing on my Ninja 300, and still love to ride twisty roads at spirited pace, but need to ride 2.5 to 3 hrs. of slab to get to them. My 07 FJR with Racetech suspension up front and Ohlins in the rear, has proven to be the perfect mixture of performance, and handling, plus comfort on the slab, for me and the way that I ride.

The only down side to the PR4GT's is that they seem to transmit a lot of shock up thru the seat when I go over expansion joints at high speed on the slab. Have you noticed that same thing?

Thanks for your comments Redfish. Totally agree with your thoughts and like you hate the look from the rear of the PR4 GT. Michelin do claim that this tire has a 17% improvement in stopping power over any other tire on the market. I think I read that right, which is impressive if correct. Still my rear is getting down and I will have to decide on something soon.

Im running 180 55 Pirelli Angel GT width size is 9" (228mm) from tire edge to edge. Weird i have never measured them before.
The 180 you have does not have a "width" of 228 mm. I am surmising you measured the sector of the tire as well. Or you could call it the perimeter of the tire from edge to edge.

Tires need to be measured like you had a plus sizes caliper. Or put two yard sticks along the outside of the tires just below the swing arm and measure the distance in between. Making sure to keep the sticks parallel.

Someone will come on here and describe it better, but your 180 is not 228 across. Would look cool, but not accurate in the way this discussion is understood.

Sry the surface area of the contactable tire to road is 228mm. I guess if you take into consideration the Oval shape of it then it would be less using the 2 sticks in parallel. This measurement would be more like if I had spread the tire flat and not used it's round shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im running 180 55 Pirelli Angel GT width size is 9" (228mm) from tire edge to edge. Weird i have never measured them before.
The 180 you have does not have a "width" of 228 mm. I am surmising you measured the sector of the tire as well. Or you could call it the perimeter of the tire from edge to edge.

Tires need to be measured like you had a plus sizes caliper. Or put two yard sticks along the outside of the tires just below the swing arm and measure the distance in between. Making sure to keep the sticks parallel.

Someone will come on here and describe it better, but your 180 is not 228 across. Would look cool, but not accurate in the way this discussion is understood.
180 x 55 x 17 are the nominal tire dimensions. It is what the factory would like the tires to be; tire manufactures may stray a bit from this specification. With the stock rim there is no need to calculate variation due to rim width changes, unlike many car owners that change rims. Tire manufacturers have a little leeway to play with width and aspect ratios and not be absolutely faithful to the factory tire dimensions as long as they don't exceed the width or overall diameter to avoid fitment interference.

180 = the tire sidewall at the widest point, excluding raised lettering (tire section).

55 = the aspect ratio between the tire width and sidewall height, this is used to calculate the sidewall height between the rim and the contact patch.

17 = the inner tire diameter

The second number (55) is actually a percentage which represents the ratio of sidewall height to the tire's width. The sidewall height can be calculated by multiplying the tire width (180mm) by the aspect ratio percentage (.55). The height of one sidewall is:

180mm x .55mm = 99mm sidewall height

To calculate the overall diameter of a tire, the sidewall height must be multiplied by 2 (the tire diameter is made up of 2 sidewalls, the one above the wheel and the one below the wheel touching the ground) and add the diameter of the wheel.

99mm + 99mm + 431.8mm (17") = 629.8mm (24.8") diameter

The contact patch will be less than the tire width (section). In fact, contact patch is one area where tire manufacturers can use tire curvature to affect the handling, feel and capability of the tire to complement the tire compound. Sit on your FJR and have someone run water on the pavement between the center of the bike and the rear tire, then roll the bike forward. The water track will show the actual contact patch width. In theory, if you were to hold your FJR at 160° to vertical and do this test again the contact patch width should still be similar in width to the 180° contact patch.

Typically, a shorter sidewall (smaller aspect ratio, such as 40 vs 55) will flex less than a taller sidewall, and would offer a stiffer ride, Good for track, bad for touring. The thing that sets apart the various manufacturers and tire models are the rubber compound(s), weave and material of the tire carcass and tire profile. The various 'formulas' can result in different tire shapes, each tuned for a particular goal that the tire manufacturer set as their design objective.

The fact that people observe different tire dimensions isn't surprising. It is in no way an indication that one tire is better or has an advantage over the other, there are many different ways to arrive at the same solution. In fact, each different tire model is intended to provide different solutions to the riding and handling experience. When you buy a tire and look at all the different available models of 180 x 55 x 17 tires you should pay attention to what you want out of the tire and what the tire can provide. "I want the longest tire wear" is a single goal, "I want the best dry track tire" is another single goal. Most of us are looking for a tire which offers good tread life, sticks well both dry and wet, can handle a touring load and isn't harsh. Fortunately, tire manufactures offer tire models which fill all these requirements, choose wisely
wink.png
(and don't be beguiled by tire appearance).

I wouldn't be surprised if the above is true for 120 x 70 x 17 tires also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts